PDA

View Full Version : Two Year Old Camaster Stinger III

Ronald Blue
10-03-2019, 8:33 PM
I have a locally available Camaster Stinger III. It's a 4 X 8 machine with a three head setup. Whats the benefit of the three head arrangement? Is it an alternative to an ATC system? What's a fair price? He says it was $18,000 new. He's discounted it a lot from that amount. Nearly half. He did say it needs a new vacuum system. Any input on whether this is a good system? The good thing is it's only about 20 miles from me. I should add that they had to move it into storage because of the flood of 2019 and they lost the use of the building it was housed in. I'm unsure of the hours. What things should I look for if I go to inspect it.

bobby milam
10-03-2019, 9:54 PM
The 3 heads should be two routers and one spindle. It's sort of in between normal and an ATC. Yes, Camaster Stingers are good, built like a tank and you will have tech support on it even tho you aren't the original owner plus they have a great forum with many knowledgable people and it's pretty active. Typically Camasters usually bring 50-75% of the original price. If he is around 1/2 then it sounds like a good deal. It should come with a computer and software. In the WinCNC program you can find the hours used.

If it's the one listed on their forum, the thread was moved so I can't check it out. I don't know of any specific things on a Camaster that you need to worry about checking out. just the normal stuff. Go ask on their forum, you'll get some honest answers from folks there about the X3 and what to look for.

Ronald Blue
10-03-2019, 11:14 PM
That's what the photos show now that you have clarified it. Definitely a main spindle with two routers on each side. I will visit the Camaster forum. Thanks for the feedback.

David Buchhauser
10-04-2019, 4:52 AM
I expect one of the resident Camaster owners will step up later today with some useful input. Keep in mind that you will probably need to hire some riggers or a transport company to move it for you. To me this sounds like an excellent deal and price as long as there are no major surprises.
David

eugene thomas
10-04-2019, 8:51 AM
As to moving. Put on wheels and rool on trailor. If only 2 years killer deal.

Jim Becker
10-04-2019, 9:23 AM
The Stinger III is an excellent machine...it's like my Stinger II, but four feet longer. :) Very stout, fully welded base. The X3 head is a unique way to provide a "poor man's ATC" so you can have three different tools loaded simultaneously, generally with the primary tool for the work in the center spindle which gives full control over RPM from software and the other two on a pair of routers for other needs. The legs are tapped for 3/4 x 10 so you can, in fact, put casters on it for moving it around and then remove them once you determine final placement. (It's not recommended to leave it on casters for production)

I agree with Eugene...killer deal. Actually, the owner who is selling it got a great deal if he only paid about $18K for it. That's what my Stinger II came in for new last year. Camaster supports for life, too, regardless of owner changes.

Do join Camheads...great forum that's specific to the yellow machines and VERY helpful people. Sometimes specialized is a good thing.

Ronald Blue
10-05-2019, 12:35 PM
I joined Camhead's but apparently haven't been verified. I got the email to confirm my account. However I am unable to view any photos at this time. It says waiting in moderation queue.

Jim Becker
10-05-2019, 4:05 PM
I joined Camhead's but apparently haven't been verified. I got the email to confirm my account. However I am unable to view any photos at this time. It says waiting in moderation queue.

PM me the user name you used and I'll message the Admin for you to get your full access turned on.

Ronald Blue
10-05-2019, 5:36 PM
PM me the user name you used and I'll message the Admin for you to get your full access turned on.

PM sent Jim

Jim Becker
10-05-2019, 7:22 PM
PM sent Jim

Issue is fixed... :)

Ronald Blue
10-09-2019, 10:15 PM
If the weather cooperates this should be in my possession on Friday morning. If it's raining I won't transport it. Was able to watch it run through initialization and everything is moving and functioning as I believe it should.

David Buchhauser
10-09-2019, 10:24 PM
If the weather cooperates this should be in my possession on Friday morning. If it's raining I won't transport it. Was able to watch it run through initialization and everything is moving and functioning as I believe it should.

Good for you Ronald!! Let's see some photos once you have it setup in your shop.
David

bobby milam
10-10-2019, 12:43 AM
An easy way to move it depending on your access to your shop is to just hire a flatbed wrecker and he can slide it right into the doorway and then all you need is some dollies. I had to move mine 900 miles so I needed a trailer and then had to rent a forklift which ended up being 2" too tall to get thru the garage door.

Congrats on the purchase. You will love it.

Liam Black
10-10-2019, 1:38 AM
Can I have a photo if possible? How did everything go?

Ronald Blue
10-10-2019, 6:24 AM
Liam I have a couple photos I took when I looked at it. I can post them. I will get more after I get it moved. Temporarily I think I will put it in my garage because my shop isn't ready for it. I have a tilt bed trailer to haul it on.

Jim Becker
10-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Congratulations, Ronald! You're going to enjoy having that machine in your shop.

Ronald Blue
10-10-2019, 6:42 PM
Here are a couple photos from when I first looked at the machine.

Steven Wayne
10-13-2019, 1:45 PM
That's a great machine! Congrats!

Ronald Blue
10-14-2019, 7:40 AM
Thank you. I got it home Friday afternoon. Haven't been able to do much yet. Had to go to work Saturday afternoon. I did fire the computer up and do the windows updates. Looked at the VCarve Pro but clearly that will have a learning curve. Probably a long one I did go to the library and request some books on using a CNC Router on inter library loan. I need to reach out to the original owner for his information. It appears there are updates for the VCarve Pro 8.5 that are free. I will probably upgrade to version 10. Can't wait to experiment with it more.

Jim Becker
10-14-2019, 9:44 AM
VCP 8.5 is fine to get started learning on, but V10 will add a bunch of things that will make your life easier as you get to more involved things. Do remember that you'll need the license transferred to you with the correct process as I mentioned previously before you can buy the upgrade. Vectric uses electronic registration to be able to track licenses and effect upgrades/uplifts.

Keith Outten
10-14-2019, 10:38 AM
The computer operating system that operates my CNC Router and Laser Engraver is never updated. If it is running properly I leave the operating system alone. I don't connect it to the Internet unless tech support needs access. In fact my router isn't even connected to my local area network. When I have an active production job ongoing I never update any software.

Ronald, congratulations on the new router.

bobby milam
10-14-2019, 3:09 PM
I really doubt that you can find any real good books that are going to be very helpful because different CNCs use different software to operate them and the design software is all different and updates so fast that unless it is a new book it will be outdated. For operating the machine, research and ask questions on the Camaster forum. Mick is one that puts out some good videos. On the Vcarve pro, you need to go to their learning section and open a video on one screen while you follow along with the actual program on another. It is a tedious process that seems to take forever but you will actually learn faster by going thru each video that they offer.

One of the best youtubers that I have come across who gives good explanations and comes up with good ideas is CNCNUTS Peter Passuello

Just take it slow and simple in the beginning and increase your knowledge as you go. Don't get discouraged if you break bits or end up with a lot of scrap wood because of stupid mistakes. We all do it in the beginning. I still break bits when I am stupid and move the machine when things aren't clear. When you are using machines with this much rigidity and power, one bump of the wrong key can snap a 1/4" bit like a toothpick with no warning. It is all about the basics. Once you get those down then you will start seeing progress quickly.

Dennis Peacock
10-14-2019, 6:44 PM
Congrats!!! What an awesome machine!! I hope it serves you well.

Biff Phillips
10-16-2019, 12:02 PM
The computer operating system that operates my CNC Router and Laser Engraver is never updated. If it is running properly I leave the operating system alone. I don't connect it to the Internet unless tech support needs access. In fact my router isn't even connected to my local area network. When I have an active production job ongoing I never update any software.

Ronald, congratulations on the new router.

Yes, I agree completely about this.
The PC that I use to control my CNC is Windows Vista. Never been hooked up to the internet and never will because it works fine. (My CNC is a different brand).

Why all this paranoia? Well, I had a 2 year old Windows laptop that I used to surf the net. A windows 10 update was pushed to it (Windows no longer lets you turn off updates).. Long story short, Windows stopped working on this machine. Found out it was a "driver issue" , but it would not tell me which piece of hardware had the issue, and Windows would load and then go to "Blue screen of death" within 10 seconds, so no way (that I am aware of) to fix it. I reverted the Windows updates, but that only buys me enough time until Windows loads the bad update again. Had to put Linux on the laptop to make it a usable laptop again.. So, long story short, you want the PC that controls your CNC to be stable. Otherwise, you risk possibly permanently damaging it.

Jim Becker
10-16-2019, 9:06 PM
I'm of the opposite inclination. I update my computers, including the CNC control machine, regularly and mine is on the network because I use that network to transfer files back and forth between my office in the house (a Macbook Pro) and the CNC machine. (Windows). What I don't allow is "automatic" update of the CNC machine. I've had zero issues with this, mostly because I don't load anything on the machine that's not actually needed. But it's a personal choice. :)

Jerome Stanek
10-17-2019, 7:30 AM
I just had a update on my control computer even though I have updates turned off and it messed up my control software I had to roll back and reload my software. Bad thing was I went to start the cnc and everything looked fine but only the x would move and the y hum but not move the z was dead. I changed drivers and the y would just barely move. I thought it was the board so I ended up changing everything out but that didn't work so I checked the logs and saw an update.

Gary Campbell
10-17-2019, 7:53 AM
I have a half dozen control PC's running in my shop, split between Centroid and WinCNC controllers. Like Keith I don't "keep" them connected al the time, but other than one older model on Win7 that I don't want to update to Win10, all are Win10 Pro and are updated on a regular basis. Windows firewall on and active on all, but no antivirus. I send files via sneaker net or by enabling WIFI and grabbing the NC file from my design computer. WIFI is then disabled as I do not wish to have an update run while cutting, but have not seen where an update causes the disastrous effects mentioned above.

Keeping the control computer updated is recommended with the majority of the better controllers. This is the opposite of what I used to do and recommend, which was to: "Never upgrade the computer OS, never upgrade the control software". Ain't technology grand??

Pete Taran
10-17-2019, 9:42 AM
You might want to consider the upgrade path to Aspire. Aspire is like Vcarve pro except that it allows you to do full 3D modelling by building up a model from piece parts that you create. The learning curve is somewhat steep, but it works very, very well. I use the two rail sweep with it all the time. I run a Shopbot and it is a fantastic program. I think if you have the license key for 8.5 then you will get an upgrade break on Aspire. The really great thing about any of those programs is there are weeks of tutorial videos on Vectric's website. Additionally, while they don't offer phone support they will answer as many questions as you can send them by email. I taught myself how to build a complicated 2 sided 3D model this way. You can send them your file with toolpaths and they will get back to you within a few hours or next day (they are in England) with answers. Charlotte drew the short straw with me and I pestered her for about 3 weeks daily. Always professional and always willing to share.

In my opinion, the success of any CNC work starts with the software, Almost any machine will do what you tell it to, one line at a time, getting the code created to make what you want is the really hard part. I think Vectric has done a fantastic job making that as easy as it can be.

Just my opinion.

Pete

Thank you. I got it home Friday afternoon. Haven't been able to do much yet. Had to go to work Saturday afternoon. I did fire the computer up and do the windows updates. Looked at the VCarve Pro but clearly that will have a learning curve. Probably a long one I did go to the library and request some books on using a CNC Router on inter library loan. I need to reach out to the original owner for his information. It appears there are updates for the VCarve Pro 8.5 that are free. I will probably upgrade to version 10. Can't wait to experiment with it more.

Jim Becker
10-17-2019, 7:24 PM
Aspire is like Vcarve pro except that it allows you to do full 3D modelling by building up a model from piece parts that you create. The learning curve is somewhat steep, but it works very, very well.

VCarve Pro and Aspire are the same software. The latter just has the full 3D Modeling capability turned on, etc. I do agree that the learning curve on the modeling side is what it is, but for all the initial stuff, it's identical regardless of which version. What's nice is that one can uplift to Aspire at any time from VCP "merely" for the difference in the then-current cost for the products. It's not clear on Vectric's website if the uplift to Aspire from an earlier release of VCP is the same cost or not, but I suspect it is. One would have to check with them on that. (I did the uplift from VCP to Aspire in January (V9.5x) and then got the V10 upgrade for free this past month)

Ronald Blue
10-17-2019, 8:14 PM
I haven't had an opportunity to do much yet but I also have the Photo VCarve software. I'm not familiar with all it's capabilities. I know obviously you can use photos as the "pattern" but not at all up to speed on all it's capabilities.

Keith Outten
10-17-2019, 8:30 PM
Vectric's Photo VCarve software is now included with Aspire 10.

Jim Becker
10-18-2019, 9:38 AM
Vectric's Photo VCarve software is now included with Aspire 10.

The new feature in V10 is the PhotoVCarve ToolPath which is very nice to have, although it's apparently not the same as having the full PhotoVCarve application based on commentary on the Vectric forums. They continue to sell the stand-alone application.

Jerome Stanek
10-19-2019, 7:43 AM
I have both and the stand alone is much nicer to use.

Ronald Blue
10-19-2019, 5:18 PM
I have been working with it whenever I have an opportunity. I have created one simple plaque/sign so far in VCarve Pro. No chips yet. Hopefully things settle down after this weekend of working. I have been watching Vetric's training videos and that's helped immensely. You learn by doing but some things you would never get if you didn't have something to be tutored from. One question I do have. I was trying to create a plaque for my granddaughter and found a font in Office that was what I wanted. I copied and pasted but it seems to lack the editing features of the fonts in VCarve Pro. Is there somewhere to download more fonts into VCarve? Thanks in advance.

Greg Parrish
10-19-2019, 7:19 PM
I purchased and downloaded VCarve Pro in the last few days and started watching their getting started videos. They look very helpful. I was watching on my iPad and following on my laptop. Hoping to get started putting my new Axiom in place and routing dust collection tomorrow.

cant wait to get through the video and make some dust also.

I have been working with it whenever I have an opportunity. I have created one simple plaque/sign so far in VCarve Pro. No chips yet. Hopefully things settle down after this weekend of working. I have been watching Vetric's training videos and that's helped immensely. You learn by doing but some things you would never get if you didn't have something to be tutored from. One question I do have. I was trying to create a plaque for my granddaughter and found a font in Office that was what I wanted. I copied and pasted but it seems to lack the editing features of the fonts in VCarve Pro. Is there somewhere to download more fonts into VCarve? Thanks in advance.

Jim Becker
10-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Ron, VCarve Pro has access to any fonts you have installed in Windows. You can't "copy/paste" from another application. Create your text in VCP using the font you desire from the fonts in the drop-down list while in the Text tool.

David Buchhauser
10-20-2019, 9:35 PM

Hi Ronald,
Here is an online source for a variety of fonts with free downloads. You can download and install into your standard Windows fonts folder and VCarve will have access to them.
David

https://www.dafont.com/

Jim Becker
10-21-2019, 9:14 AM
Just a small program note about downloading art and fonts...licensing matters if one is going to do commercial work. Free is not necessarily your friend in that respect and the penalties, despite low chances of "getting caught", are substantial. Check the details of licensing carefully in that respect.

Keith Outten
10-21-2019, 9:52 AM
Decades ago we used to go to computer shows and there were literally thousands of public domain software discs available to purchase for just a couple of dollars each. The fee was for copying and the cost of the discs. I purchased a large set of fonts, I believe they were called Fontasy Fonts. I have shared the files many times over the years with people who have been though my ADA sign class. I will see if I can find the native font files and find a way to share them here possibly as a zip file. As I recall their were three folders, one each on three floppy discs originally.