PDA

View Full Version : Rust on planes

Geoff Irvine
12-16-2005, 9:43 AM
In a recent thread (A modern shooting plane- Jerry Palmer) a side comment by Matthew Dworman indicated that he has the same problem with his LN (?) planes I do, in that he has to immediately wipe the plane down with camelia oil so as to avoid oxidation occuring. I now have a 'rubber' saturated with camelia oil that sits on a side bench for this and do it out of habit.
Is this a common experience amongst members? I have wondered if ,with all the different metal types -A2/Bronze/Ductile iron, there was an electrochemical event occuring. Any ideas? I don't seem to have this problem with my older planes but then they weren't as polished as the Lie-Nielsen.
Thanks for any comments in advance.:)

Dennis McDonaugh
12-16-2005, 9:45 AM
In a recent thread (A modern shooting plane- Jerry Palmer) a side comment by Matthew Dworman indicated that he has the same problem with his LN (?) planes I do, in that he has to immediately wipe the plane down with camelia oil so as to avoid oxidation occuring. I now have a 'rubber' saturated with camelia oil that sits on a side bench for this and do it out of habit.
Is this a common experience amongst members? I have wondered if ,with all the different metal types -A2/Bronze/Ductile iron, there was an electrochemical event occuring. Any ideas? I don't seem to have this problem with my older planes but then they weren't as polished as the Lie-Nielsen.
Thanks for any comments in advance.:)

Geoff, all my planes, including the LN rust if left untreated. Every other month or so I wax them with Johnson's paste wax.

Michael Gabbay
12-16-2005, 10:19 AM
I have not run into this problem for my LNs or Stanleys. My shop is in the basement and I have a dehumidifier in the finished area of the basement to help keep the humidity down. I do try to wipe my planes and chisels down after use. I have a rag that I use with camilla oil. Also a good waxing of the plane sole is good for the performance of the plane. And the smell of Johnsons Paste Wax takes me back to my childhood! :)