PDA

View Full Version : cove ceiling design, name for style

Bill Dufour
10-03-2019, 11:27 AM
My house, 1949, has a coved ceiling in the living room. It has a curve section from wall to ceiling but it has more. It looks like the used 12" wide drywall mounted flat to the ceiling and edge on the the wall. Then the curve section starts about 6" closer to the wall on top of the extra thickness.
Also has short convex curves at each corner made with more drywall flat to the ceiling.
Is there a special name for this style?
I have seen similar age houses with just the flat trim with no cove. That would be much easier to do but not as nice looking. The wood cove ceiling trim does not appeal to us.
The walls are actually buttonboard with 1/2" plaster on top. So these curves may be lath and plaster or curved buttonboard.
I suppose it could be called a "tray ceiling" One advantage is it makes it very easy to paint the walls+cove a different color from the wall. All cutting in is done with a full width roller.
I have seen pictures of it done the opposite way with the extra flat pieces attached to the wall instead or even both wall and ceiling.
Bill D

Similar but this lacks the extra curve cut flat pieces

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/541065342706054188/