PDA

View Full Version : Protecting spinny things from UV

Dean Thomas
10-02-2019, 10:10 PM
I'm involved in turning pens, small bowls and boxes. I'm looking for finish or finishes that are water clear and that will preserve the colors of woods used.

As an example, if I turn a small box or an ink pen out of cedar, Osage orange, or other light and colorful wood, I would really like to keep the beauty and color of the wood.

Is anyone manufacturing such a product? Looking for help from any quarter. Thanks in advance. :confused:

Edward Dyas
10-02-2019, 11:04 PM
I'm involved in turning pens, small bowls and boxes. I'm looking for finish or finishes that are water clear and that will preserve the colors of woods used.

As an example, if I turn a small box or an ink pen out of cedar, Osage orange, or other light and colorful wood, I would really like to keep the beauty and color of the wood.

Is anyone manufacturing such a product? Looking for help from any quarter. Thanks in advance. :confused:
Any finish that is an acrylic will fill that order. What kind of finishes do you like working with? Waterborne finishes are generally acrylic. Automotive clear coatings would be acrylic. There is a lacquer known as cab-acrylic or sometimes known as butyrate lacquer that could be used. You could also use the super blonde shellac however after a long time can yellow.

Dean Thomas
10-03-2019, 1:22 PM
Hey Edward,

For pens, I've been using CA finishes as they are generally water clear and because CA is really resistant to hands-on related damage. In the past, I've used Mylands sanding sealer alone, but have suspected that it's not as hard a finish as I'd like. I like speedy, no wait finishes. I hate having to spend days on a pen, waiting for the finish to dry, wet-sanding and then another coat to dry. Darned fax mentality...

I used to use the blonde shellac, but it is humidity sensitive and the gloss suffers quickly.

Jim Becker
10-03-2019, 5:27 PM
Any finish that contains UV inhibitors..."will help"...but ultimately, wood is going to do what wood does and change color over time.

John TenEyck
10-03-2019, 7:34 PM
You need a finish with a dual UV system in it, specifically a hindered amine (HALS) which helps prevent the underlying wood from oxidizing. Several marine varnishes have such systems. Krylon makes a Conservation Varnish in a rattle can, too, but it might not have the handling durability needed for things like pens.

John

Edward Dyas
10-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Hey Edward,

For pens, I've been using CA finishes as they are generally water clear and because CA is really resistant to hands-on related damage. In the past, I've used Mylands sanding sealer alone, but have suspected that it's not as hard a finish as I'd like. I like speedy, no wait finishes. I hate having to spend days on a pen, waiting for the finish to dry, wet-sanding and then another coat to dry. Darned fax mentality...

I used to use the blonde shellac, but it is humidity sensitive and the gloss suffers quickly.
Yes, a lot of people use a CA finish on pens but it's my understanding it doesn't offer very much UV protection. I don't use it so I can't really say.

Dean Thomas
10-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Yep, my understanding too.