PDA

View Full Version : Here is a model truck I made

dennis thompson
10-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Here is a truck I built. The tires are walnut, the body and fenders are mahogony, the roof is teak and the sidewalls and wheels are southern yellow pine.
I have been making a lot of models lately and it was interesting to see in the latest issue of Woodsmith that the cover showed a model of a steam locomotive to make. I think that may be the first model project they have shown in their magazine.

John Ziebron
10-02-2019, 10:49 PM
Well done Dennis. I like projects like this because it gives one an opportunity to use several species of wood. Just for display or will a young one be enjoying it?

I haven't seen the latest issue of Woodsmith but if you can call it a model they had a project about 25 years ago of winter sled, the kind that horses would pull. It was fairly detailed and used some brass parts that needed to be fabricated. This was my first project that used bent lamination (for the rails). I made several of them for gifts.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Well done Sir! A lot of skill in making that truck with appropriate results!

Clark Hussey
10-03-2019, 6:33 AM
Beautiful work!

George Bokros
10-03-2019, 7:32 AM
That is gorgeous. The attention to detail is amazing.

dennis thompson
10-03-2019, 7:37 AM
Well done Dennis. I like projects like this because it gives one an opportunity to use several species of wood. Just for display or will a young one be enjoying it?

I haven't seen the latest issue of Woodsmith but if you can call it a model they had a project about 25 years ago of winter sled, the kind that horses would pull. It was fairly detailed and used some brass parts that needed to be fabricated. This was my first project that used bent lamination (for the rails). I made several of them for gifts.

John
Thanks for the kind words. ( I would say compliment but I never know how to spell it, compliment or complement, I think it's the former but I am never sure)
As you can see from this picture I have made many toys for my grandson. ( this shows a few of them) This is more a model for display.
Although when my grandson was here yesterday he did have his eyes on it☺

David Utterback
10-03-2019, 5:58 PM
Bee's knees is the first thought I had. Excellent work. What are the overall dimensions, if you do not mind my asking? Thanks for sharing!

dennis thompson
10-03-2019, 9:04 PM
Bee's knees is the first thought I had. Excellent work. What are the overall dimensions, if you do not mind my asking? Thanks for sharing!

This truck is a 1920 Ford Depot Hack which was used to transport passengers and luggage to and from train stations. It is 13" long, 6" wide, 7" high. I'm now working on the trailer that attaches to it for the luggage.

Phil Mueller
10-03-2019, 9:38 PM
Very nice, Dennis! I’ll bet that grandson of yours will have more than his eye on that soon.

Ron Citerone
10-08-2019, 7:25 PM
That is so well done! Thanks for sharing