PDA

View Full Version : Fabrication Assistance Needed

Rich Riddle
10-02-2019, 7:46 PM
I am fabricating an item to help support a human chin on something like a microphone stand. I have parts that I want to purchase or slightly change. The main part I need is in the first three pictures. It's a plastic component threaded on one half and has a 1/2" smooth section on the other half. The last picture is the chin cup that slides into the smooth part.

I don't know what to call the part in the first three photos so I cannot locate where to purchase it. It reminds me of a smooth bore bushings. I could also fabricate this out of pipe with a guaranteed inside diameter of 1/2"......it would need to be weldable pipe though.

Art Mann
10-02-2019, 7:55 PM
It looks to me like you are dealing with custom parts for which there is no manufactured source. If that is true, could you possibly have them made by someone with a 3-D printer?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2019, 8:07 PM
Rich, if you can determine the thread size on a microphone stand, try buying a partially threaded female standoff with the right thread and drilling the threads out of one end to fit the shaft of the chin cup.

Steve Fish
10-02-2019, 9:52 PM
Quick search on amazon shows 5/8-27 is a common mic stand thread. Maybe a machinist could cut an adapter or you could probably make a delrin bushing if you find a piece of tube with that thread inside. I’m curious what this device is actually used for.

Bill Bukovec
10-02-2019, 9:55 PM
Yes, you could make it easily with a 3D printer. I redesigned and printed parts for the start switch on my Unisaw. I even made a dust port for the saw as well. You need to start with a diagram with dimensions.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2019, 11:42 PM
Rich, go to Amazon and do a search using "microphone stand adapters" for the search words. I'm sure some of the things there could be adapted with spacers or standoffs.

BTW, a machinist at a machine shop could manufacture one of these quickly, easily and probably at a reasonable price.

Rich Riddle
10-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Thank you for all the assistance.