PDA

View Full Version : Christmas turning finsihed

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-16-2005, 7:24 AM
I've had approimately 6 hours of sleep in the past 2-1/2 days...after several days of 4 hours or so each before that...but I'm done, and spent my 'quiet time' at work last night wrapping up for shippng 6 Gentleman/Statesman II, 14 Wall Street II/Sierra, one comfort pen/pencil set, two comfort singles, and a woodworkers/sketch pencil. Along with these, I've sold a handful along the way to coworkers, and LOML gave three more Gentleman's away to folks she works with.

Now that I have some pen experience under my belt again, I'll suggest those of you that haven't take a look at the Wall Street II (Woodcraft)/Sierra (Berea). It only uses one short tube, so you can get two pens out of a 5" blank. The tooling on this kit is outstanding, and it's basically already put together...all you really have to do is press in the clip. I bought 5 or 6 of these at the Woodcraft store, ordered 20 from the Woodcraft catalog, and then ordered 30 more from Arizona Silhouette, a mix of platinum and gold. Every one has been as close to the same size as my micrometer thingy will measure.

I also learned that the trick to this kit is to turn the nib end down a few thous less than the trim band. If it's even the teensiest, tiniest bit over it creates a shadow line that looks like it's not seated properly on the pen, even tho it is. Cutting just a hair under makes it a beautiful fit.

I've also switched to Maguires (sp?) mirror glaze as my 'smoothing polish' after CA and lacquer. Very wet look, extremely high gloss.

The kits are a whoooole lot better nowadys than they were 10 years ago...and the sources of stunning wood are everywhere. It's easy to understand why so many folks are making pens nowadays. I must admit to already a small stash of 'special ones' that are just to pretty to sell. :eek: :D

KC

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Boy KC you have been a busy little beaver. I just got my lathe and hope I can accomplish the same by next Christmas. I will be taking a look at those pens. Thanks.

John Hart
12-16-2005, 11:29 AM
I think you've convinced me to try out the Wall Street II. I know that Berea makes the kit and resells through AZ and Woodcraft. AZ is usually the least expensive...But Berea is 10 minutes from here.

Ok!!! it's settled....I'll drive there during lunch....and of course I'll have to buy some other stuff. Thanks KC! You've spent my money!:D

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-16-2005, 2:13 PM
You'll like it. Very elegant look, very nice feel. Just enough heft, but not so much that it's bad for a pocket, and I've always preferred the Parker refill to the Cross anyway. After studying every kit I could find, this is the one that looks the most non-gender specifi, and seems to be the most 'forgiving'. A dozen lined up on a display tray is very impressive. :D

KC