PDA

View Full Version : Island Workstation

Dennis McDonaugh
12-15-2005, 8:54 PM
What do you think about the island workstation in FWW Tool and Shop issue? At first glance it seems like a lot of trouble to save space in a big shop (24X40), but it does let him cram a lot of machinery into a small foot print and let them share bench space.

Jim Becker
12-15-2005, 8:56 PM
It doesn't float my boat, but given everyone works a little different, I suspect there are probably a few people out there who might have interest. Further, portions of it could be useful to many more folks from a multi-tool workstation standpoint.

Frank Pellow
12-15-2005, 9:11 PM
I read the article with interest. In fact, I read it twice and admired the design. There are some very clever things that Alan DeVilbiss has done. But, like you, I wonder why he needs such a setup when his shop is so big.

Guy Baxter
12-15-2005, 10:22 PM
The concept of sharing horizontal space between machines makes a lot of sense to me. Weld it all together and you have a home brew knapp/felder type table-router-band-sand-planer-joiner-drill-press-saw.

Art Mulder
12-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Well, I must admit that it is a clever way to save on the dust collector ducting. I'm assuming that there must be a huge lead time on these sorts of stories, as his cyclone seems to be at least one, if not two, revisions old.

The bandsaw is the one thing that looks downright uncomfortable to me. I always stand in front of my BS, and with his setup, you can only stand *beside* it.

I like the way he has the planer embedded. I wonder, how tough is it to make that the infeed/outfeed extension tables are perfectly in line with the planer tables?

If you go to the FWW website, there is a video showing him demonstrating his workstation. I find intriguing the little aux bench that he can hook on in front of the TS to help feed large sheet goods into the saw. Very well done.

I guess in the end... I don't have to like the whole thing, but if I can learn anything from it, then it is of value.

...art

Carl Eyman
12-16-2005, 9:19 AM
I'm going to FWW web site to see it in use. What appealed to me in addition to the short leads for DC duct was the possibility that it saved steps. Anytime you can do that you probably will be saving time.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-16-2005, 9:50 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'm contemplating a shop rearrangement/redesign and some of the island's attributes appeal to me. I'm not sure I can incorporate the whole thing into my 20X24 ft footprint.

The orientation of the tablesaw would be troublesome because 20' isn't wide enough to cut long boards if I oriented the island in the long axis of my shop. I think I'd have to do more of a square.

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Haven't read the article, but did just watch the video.

Wonder what will be going through his mind when has to replace a tool or unclog a section of duct.

Bart Leetch
12-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Alan DeVilbiss was on FWW in a discussion where if I remember right he said that the band-saw was set up so that it could be moved forward if needed.

JayStPeter
12-16-2005, 12:43 PM
It looks to me like access to some tools with larger pieces would be difficult. It doesn't look like you could tilt the table on the bandsaw either. Kind of seems like a waste to jam all those machines together in a large shop and impractical when you need things mobile in a small one.

Jay

Dennis McDonaugh
12-16-2005, 1:35 PM
What seems odd to me is the juxtaposition of needing a large shop to make an island big enough to hold all the machines so you can save space.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2005, 1:49 PM
I read the article. The one thing that I found a little disconcerting was having the DC in the open. This would allow you to hear "all the noise" it makes. My intentions when I get around to installing DC is to put it in a room similar to Jim B's.

Roy Wall
12-16-2005, 1:51 PM
I think it's pretty remarkable........

However,

I'd just go by a combo machine and call it good........:cool:

Bert Johansen
12-16-2005, 5:22 PM
I, too, read it several times and concluded it is a brilliant concept. The short DC hoses are a huge positive, as is the superb use of space as well as the massive storage, but the noise and bandsaw location are negatives. If memory serves, the router location is on the wrong side of the TS table. It seems like only free-hand routing is possible, and the TS fence is useless for routing since you can't stand in front of it. But maybe I missed something--I'm at work and don't have the issue in front of me.
I will check out the video tonight . . .
Bert