PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 18/36 Lathe - Vacuum question

Greg Parrish
09-25-2019, 9:33 AM
Specific to the Laguna 18/36 lathe, what have you guys found as the best way to add a vacuum chuck to your lathe? Did you use the Laguna reverse flow inverter vacuum kit that uses your air compressor? A free standing vacuum pump? What chuck did you find works best? Etc.

trying to figure out best, most effective way to add this to expand holding capabilities for certain work. Also wondered what is most cost effective approach.

Thank you for any pointers.

Jack Lilley
09-25-2019, 6:33 PM
I have the Laguna inverter and find that it works great. I had a vacuum pump set up on a previous lathe and wasn't sure about the inverter type of vacuum but I like it, it does a good job. My compressor has a 60 gallon tank so I always have plenty of air. I use homemade chucks.

William C Rogers
09-26-2019, 9:29 AM
When I had my Laguna I used their rotary adapter and a stand alone Thompson vacuum pump. I had the vacuum pump from my previous lathe. Never have used an inverter. I have several homemade “special” chucks, but I use the One Way vacuum chucks 95% of the time. Pricy, but they are nice and have no regrets buying them. I have the 5” and 3 1/2” (I think that is the sizes) When I sold the Laguna I kept their adapter and converted it to my new lathe. I is a very good adapter.

Bill Dempsey
09-26-2019, 7:14 PM
I faced the same question a few months back. My large air compressor is loud, and I didn't want it on with the Laguna inverter. Bought the frugal vac system with the additional two rotary bearings. Its bulletproof. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Bill

Ashwini Kaul
10-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Bill, what's the frugal vac system and from where?

Roger Chandler
10-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Bill, what's the frugal vac system and from where?. I’m not Bill, but here ya go!

https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/

Ashwini Kaul
10-16-2019, 10:04 AM
. I’m not Bill, but here ya go!

https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/

Thank you much!