PDA

View Full Version : Some pen turning questions

Bob Noles
12-15-2005, 8:51 PM
I really wasn't going to get into pens this early in the game, but have had my interest sparked somewhat by a few events. I have been studying the needed (wanted) equipment that looks necessary or at least useful to enter that area. I don't want to drop another big bundle just yet until I am sure I will like pens in the long run.

Some of the big ticket items are things like, Pen Press $40, Disassembly tools $20, Pen Mill "set" $35 and center drilling vice $40.

My question is, are these things necessary in the beginning or is there work arounds using existing tools I already have in my shop? Knowing me, I will have all of these items and more if I really get into that phase of turning, but I would like to wade around in several shallows to get my feet wet until I find real direction of long term interest.

I was playing around with shopping carts online and found myself going over $300 on every one of them for the things that looked good to have in the pen turning field. I'm sure that can be reduced by at least 2/3 if I knew more about what I was doing. What is the bare minimum equipment need to produce a few decent pens to start and see if I like or hate that area?

Y'all have been great for putting up with my newbie questions and silly comments. Thanks for keeping me straight this far.

John Nicholas
12-15-2005, 9:02 PM
You have to have a mandrel to mount your stuff on your lathe for turning.

You have to drill a hole in the blank. The hole has to be straight.

You can use many ways of doing the other chores. Pen press - could use a vice. Use a nail set to insert the glued brass tube into the blank.

Check out Keith Rowley's Foundation book. He has a section on turning pens and shows some ins and outs without a lot of expense.

Good Luck! :)

John Miliunas
12-15-2005, 9:44 PM
Bob, of the items you listed, I have one of the pen mills (which I think is almost indespensible) and the self-centering drilling jig, but there are ways around that one! See: http://www.google.com/search?q=pen+blank+drilling&btnG=Search+SawmillCreek&domains=sawmillcreek.org&sitesearch=sawmillcreek.org

The above link is the result of a search, but several methods folks use, virtually "free". I've never used the disassembly tools. Guess I've not had a need to (yet).:D If you have a drill press, you've also got a pen press! Think about it: Same principal. I did get lucky and scored a small arbor press for free from my employer when they were cleaning shop. Similar ones can be had at HF pretty reasonably and they'll never break!:) :cool:

Bob Noles
12-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Y'all are awesome.....

Thanks for the help..... I think I'm getting the picture. :D

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Practice your tool control and turn your own "brass tube insertion tool"

John Hart
12-15-2005, 11:26 PM
I don't have any of those things Bob. But then, I'm a workaround kind of guy.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-16-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm also a 'work around' type of guy, and generally a cheapskate...so I turned a couple hundred pens several years back squaring up the blanks on the disc sander instead of buying the pen mill. When I started again last month, I still couldn't talk myself into spending the money...until I put three of four $15 pen kits together that 'weren't quite' right. So I bought the pen mill...and when I eventually drop this one and break it, or lose it (and I will), I'll be buying another one pronto. It's just soooooo much easier.

Tube insertion tool? Sharpened end of a pencil for 7mm tubes, end of a Sharpie for bigger tubes, end of the sharpie with something wrapped around it for really big tubes.

KC

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-16-2005, 3:14 AM
The only specialized tools I bought were of course the mandrel and a end mill. For drilling my blanks I took a piece of MDF about 4x4 and then ripped pieces of MDF 3" wide. I glued these pieces to the edge of the 4x4 piece to make a corner. I then clamp this whole thing to my DP talbe and hold the blank with a C clamp and drill away. Kinda hard to explain!

For assembly, I use one of my Jorgensen CabinetMaster clamps. Works perfect! Gluing the tube, I just hold one end of the tube, put glue on it, and stick it int eh blank. Don't see any need for an insertion tool.

Blake McCully
12-16-2005, 7:31 AM
God gave my my tube insertion tool, all ten of them. I've tried to use something to insert tubes, but I still return to my fingers. Just don't eat anything right after inserting tubes:D .