PDA

View Full Version : Experiments with scraps and bookmatching

Brad Hammond
07-07-2003, 1:33 PM
for some reason, i seem to getting the most satisfaction out of making things from scraps...lol.
anywho..... after getting the saw set up i thought i'd try some bookmatching since the kitchen needed a clock. hehe
sorry for the angle of the pic. this was the only way i could get rid of the glare.
it measures 4 1/4" by 7 1/2". bookmatched walnut face, brazillian cherry box and some plexi. finished with 50/50 blo and ms. i wetsanded the face up to 1500 with wet dry sand paper. after drying i sanded/buffed up to 12000 of micromesh. put on one last coat of 50/50 and polished with renaissance wax. after all that...the plexi has a small scratch in it! next time i'll invest in some nonglare glass.... maybe a beveled edge...yeah.
can't wait to build a big one!
thanx for looking. suggestions and critiques are welcomed and sought!

brad

Brad Hammond
07-07-2003, 1:35 PM
sorry for the size of the pic........
i'll get it right next time

Jason Roehl
07-07-2003, 1:36 PM
Size of pic and the clock look fine to me!!

Don Farr
07-07-2003, 1:47 PM
I really like that. SWMBO wants one for over the mantle.

Keith Outten
07-07-2003, 3:33 PM
Brad,

Find a local plastic supplier and ask if they carry the Novus brand plastic polish. I use Novus all the time, it's great stuff. I purcase the No 1, 2 and 3 grades of polish. You can get that scratch out of your clock in just a few minutes and the Novus polish is very handy for all sorts of chores around the house and shop on any plastic material.

Great Clock by the way, Let me egrave a clock face for the next one, may be something your family will keep for generations :)

Tom Sweeney
07-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Love that walnut & the combination works very well together.

Keith & Brad - You also want to check out a product called Koala plastic Polish

http://www.koala-products.com

A friend of mine owns the company - I've seen it do some amazing things with scratched plastic - come to think of it I saw a guitar that it made look like a new one - I'll have to try it on a turning & see what it looks like :)

Bob Lasley
07-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Brad,

Great use of scraps! Love that walnut. I'm going to have to find some projects to use up some scrap before it takes over the shop.

Bob

Randy Gleckler
07-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Wow, That clock looks great. That bookmatch walnut in the center really looks awesome. Thanks for sharing

Randy