PDA

View Full Version : 23 Gauge Pin Nailers

Steve Aiken
12-15-2005, 6:47 PM
I'd like to get a pin nailer. I read a thread written about a year ago, and there was no clear "winner" in the opinion poll.

More people have probably "taken the plunge" over the past year. Any recent opinions? It seems that they all seem to be a good tool...maybe I should be asking: "Any bad horror stories?"

Does anyone know of any tool reviews? I check most of the WW'g mags and haven't seen one yet.

Steve

Harry Goodwin
12-15-2005, 7:26 PM
I have a PCD and like it. Harry

Dennis McDonaugh
12-15-2005, 7:27 PM
I like this one Steve. I've seen it as low as $159 at other sites. It shoots a little longer pin than the PC.

http://www.internationaltool.com/grexnailer.htm

Here it is.

http://protechsupply.com/grex_23-gauge_headless_pinners.htm

Dave Falkenstein
12-15-2005, 7:41 PM
Wood Magazine had a mini-review this fall. They rated Grex as the best tool and PC as the best value. I got the Grex at the WW Show recently, based on the Wood article, but have not had a reason to use it yet.

Roger Everett
12-15-2005, 7:42 PM
I have the PC 23ga.. I had my choice boiled down to a Senco or PC, but in my locality and for repair parts availibility, plus the PC was $20 cheaper I decided on the PC. Haven't had any problems with it, seems like a good quality gun. My only complaint would be the double trigger , which is the safty, but if it starts to bother me, I'll tape the safty trigger.
Roger

Lee DeRaud
12-15-2005, 7:42 PM
I "test-drove" both the PC and the Grex at the woodworking show last month, went home with the PC...works like a champ so far.

But really, the only thing about the Grex I didn't like was the price tag.

Steve Clardy
12-15-2005, 7:52 PM
PC here. Haven't used anything else. Happy with what I have.

Mark Carlson
12-15-2005, 7:55 PM
I heard a lot of good things about the Grex pinner so I bought that at a woodworking show recently. I havn't really used it much but the few times I did I was very happy with the results. Its also a nice green color.

~mark

Wes Bischel
12-15-2005, 8:09 PM
If budget is an issue, the Air Locker and HF pinners are inexpensive alternatives. I recently picked up this Air Locker P630 here:

http://www.toolmartusa.com/

Some have said they didn't like the safety set-up, but I haven't had any issues with it. So far it has worked well. I picked this unit up because of price and it was recommended by others.

Also, I have read that the HF pinner has worked well, but I don't have any experience with it.

FWIW,

Wes

Bob Noles
12-15-2005, 8:10 PM
Extremely happy with my PC

Jim W. White
12-15-2005, 8:24 PM
I've been very happy ih my Air locker and the price is unbeatable. The safety is a little burdensome, I guess; but it could be defeated pretty easily if it really bothered you.

...Jim W

Here's an old thread from when I posted a picture of it

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20308

Jim Becker
12-15-2005, 8:45 PM
I own an Accuset (Senco) but would probably by the Grex if I were buying today. Nice tool and very comfortable in the hand. Wider range of fastener lengths, too.

Bill Fields
12-15-2005, 8:58 PM
Wes said the HF pinner is OK and I concur.

But, since there should always be a concern about quality/durability on stuff from HF--I bought 2-- I think the price for the first was 14.95 and the second was a bit more--under $20.

First works fine--safety mechanism is a bit too "careful" in that one must hold the tool "just so". Second still in the box.

As stated here many times, if you are a pro--no need to consider HF.

For the rest of us--maybe.

BILL FIELDS

Bill Borchardt
12-15-2005, 8:59 PM
Another "positive experience" with the Air Locker.

It shoots pins up to 1 3/16" and for $60 it's worked GREAT!

Since I'm only a hobby woodworker and don't give it that much use, it's been a good tool at a good value/price point. :)

Make sawdust, have fun, and be safe . . .

Billbo

Steve Clardy
12-15-2005, 9:04 PM
Steve. Just going through my mail. Got a flyer from Timberline Woodworkers Supply.
Porter Cable PIN100 nailer. $99.99
Also looks like $1.00 shipping. Great price.
1-800-630-2260
www.timberlinetools.com (http://www.timberlinetools.com)

Sale ends Dec. 31st

Not affiliated, blah blah blah.

Anthony Anderson
12-15-2005, 9:14 PM
I have the Senco and it works great. Although I don't use it as much as I thought I would. So for occassional use, you may consider one of the less expensive units. If you do a lot of picture frames or small/miniature projects it will pay for itself. Others have mentioned guns with longer nail length capability, but if I want to go with a longer nail, usually the project requires a heavier guage nail. My opinion for what its worth. Bill

Russ Massery
12-15-2005, 9:38 PM
I have the P.C. Happy with it so for far. Along the SIX other porter cable air nailers I have. In fact I've never had any problems with any of them.:D

Paul B. Cresti
12-15-2005, 10:32 PM
I sold my Senco and now have a Omer both pin nailer and brad nailer. Expensive but great guns. They a bump feature you can turn on and off. The pin nailer has a very nice double trigger/safety feature. I have also noticed the pin nailer does not leave marks like the Senco did. I just love buying and using Italian tools ;)

Scott Larson
12-15-2005, 11:22 PM
I have the Grex 635 and have been very satisfied (never a misfire or jam). It does have the advantage of shooting the longer pins, appears well engineered (allen key holder and additional tip built into the gun) and matches my Festool's ;). Bostitch has a gun avaliable at amazon for $105 that shoots 1 3/16 that I would have looked at if I hadn't needed mine on the spot.

-Scott

Steve Aiken
12-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Problem locally here is that I'll have to either drive to Toronto, or mail-order. I've found a great price for a Bynford 23 Headless Pin Nailer http://www.kmstools.com/main.php?scripts/products/cat.php?107
I don't have any knowledge of the company or this tool...Anybody?

Thanks for your replies...sounds like you can't go wrong with the PC for occasional use...

Steve

Matt Meiser
12-15-2005, 11:33 PM
I have the Senco and the only complaint I have is that it shoots the pins flush rather than countersinking them. According to their tech support it is designed to do this. I am under the impression that the PC countersinks them slightly.

Alan Turner
12-16-2005, 4:56 AM
I had a Senco, and had the same issue. I now have the Grex 635, and it does countersink the pins appropriately. This countersink is not adjustable, which I think may be true of all of the micro pinners, although perhpas the Omer is adjustable.

Steve Evans
12-16-2005, 6:31 AM
Problem locally here is that I'll have to either drive to Toronto, or mail-order. I've found a great price for a Bynford 23 Headless Pin Nailer http://www.kmstools.com/main.php?scripts/products/cat.php?107

Thanks for your replies...sounds like you can't go wrong with the PC for occasional use...

Steve

Steve, save your money on the Bynford. DAMHIKT. I was looking at a different one at the Toronto woodshow in Nov. (might have been the Grex, I can't remember), and I think I might pick it up at the spring show.

Steve

tod evans
12-16-2005, 7:09 AM
my vote goes to senco

Bart Leetch
12-16-2005, 11:27 AM
I own an Accuset (Senco) but would probably by the Grex if I were buying today. Nice tool and very comfortable in the hand. Wider range of fastener lengths, too.

Which brand of pins will the Grex pinner use. I have 2 Grizzly 18 ga. guns 1 nail & one staple & they use Senco nails. I also have a 15 ga. Senco angled finish nail gun.

I was told by a Senco rep that in different parts of the country the manufactures design their guns to shoot the fasteners of who ever dominates the market in that area. It seems that I see more Senco style nails up here in the NW & he agreeded that this was true & told me where the other areas were & whose nails dominated that area. As I remember there is only 2 or 3 areas.

Bill Spievak
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Matt, I have the Senco as well. I've had it long enough and used it enough that I'm on my third driver. I ground the tip down when I had the problem of it not counter sinking, works fine now.

Scott Larson
12-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Bart,

I've shot Senco and Grex pins in my Grex 635. In fact, my local dealer only stocks the Grex pins over 1" (since they can be harder to find) and the Senco for all pins less than 1". This is a real shame as a box of 10k Grex 1 3/8" pins was only a few bucks more than a box of 2600 senco's. :( When talking with they guys at the store, the suggusted that all of the pins should be interchangable.

-Scott

Ted Shrader
12-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Steve -

Very happy with my PC. It came from Timberline Woodworkers Supply. Good price, quick shipping.

Ted

Steve Clardy
12-16-2005, 12:49 PM
I have the Senco and the only complaint I have is that it shoots the pins flush rather than countersinking them. According to their tech support it is designed to do this. I am under the impression that the PC countersinks them slightly.

Yes. About a 1/16"

Lee DeRaud
12-16-2005, 1:16 PM
Based on my admittedly limited experience with it and reading between the lines in the manual, it looks like the countersink depth on the PC PN100 is strictly a question of air pressure. At 85-90 it sets the pins flush, at 95-100 it sinks them slightly (maybe 1/32"). Looking at how the thing is constructed, I doubt any further increase in pressure will drive the pins any deeper.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-16-2005, 1:22 PM
I thought the whole idea with the pinner is invisibility, which you lose if the pin is countersunk. Matt, Bill, Alan, do you fill the holes like you do with a brad nailer?

Lee DeRaud
12-16-2005, 1:32 PM
I thought the whole idea with the pinner is invisibility, which you lose if the pin is countersunk. Matt, Bill, Alan, do you fill the holes like you do with a brad nailer?The "holes" end up roughly the same size as the wood pores in most species. If the pin is flush with the surface, it makes a shiny spot...a very small shiny spot, but visible nonetheless. Not to mention that any further sanding becomes problematic.

nic obie
12-16-2005, 1:55 PM

Hi Matt,

If you want the gun to shoot the pin a bit deeper, just grind a bit off of the tip of the gun. Eventually you'll have to do this with all your nail guns as the driver wears down over time.

Bill Roland
12-16-2005, 4:05 PM

Steve
I have this nailer. I haven't used it much, but it worked great for what I have. The safety is an arm that rotates under the trigger to lock it out. When you are in the unlock position the trigger is always live, like will shoot any time you pull the trigger.

Dave Lehnert
12-16-2005, 4:22 PM
I own the Senco model and like it a lot.

Steve Clardy
12-16-2005, 4:23 PM
Based on my admittedly limited experience with it and reading between the lines in the manual, it looks like the countersink depth on the PC PN100 is strictly a question of air pressure. At 85-90 it sets the pins flush, at 95-100 it sinks them slightly (maybe 1/32"). Looking at how the thing is constructed, I doubt any further increase in pressure will drive the pins any deeper.

Yes. This gun depth of drive depends on air pressure. I run 130#s, so I get a deeper countersink.
And a lot of it depends on wood species, lenght of pin you are driving.

Alan Turner
12-16-2005, 7:47 PM
I thought the whole idea with the pinner is invisibility, which you lose if the pin is countersunk. Matt, Bill, Alan, do you fill the holes like you do with a brad nailer?

Dennis,
I fill the holes. I use CA glue, just a small drop, right on the hole, and then sand with 320 grit till the CA is dry, about 20 seocnds, and the sanding dust and CA mix, fill the hole, and it is fully invisible. Quick and easy.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-16-2005, 8:38 PM
Thanks Alan

Alan Turner
12-16-2005, 9:45 PM
Thanks Alan

No problem. But, attribution is due, and this is a Jeff Jewitt trick.