PDA

View Full Version : How does your age affect wood working ability

Josh Robinson
09-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Hi, I have enjoyed reading this forum, lots of good information and experience shared. This is my first post.

So Ive been wood working with mostly hand tools for a couple of years and Ive done a couple of projects that I’m pretty proud of. I have a band saw and a circular saw that I use some but enjoy the quiet and safety of hand tools. I’ve acquired a small but adequate collection of Stanley planes and a a few new Lie Nelson tools and consider continuing to collect or upgrade tools to include some finer vintage and/or some new premium planes. I’m within 10 years of retirement and before I continue to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on new tools, especially planes for dimensioning lumber, I consider whether as I age if I should include a power jointer to help with some of the heavy lifting. I was hoping to get some thoughts on this from some older wood workers that are in their 70’s 80’s or older. Hope this is not too personal.

Jamie Buxton
09-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Yeah, there are things in the shop which I used to be able to do, but can no longer do. We do get weaker as we get older. One possible solution is to reduce the size of the projects; make jewelry boxes, not 12 foot dining tables. Another possible solution is power tools.

Jamie Buxton
09-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Eyes begin to go bad too. My fix there is a binocular loupe.

Phil Mueller
09-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Hi Josh, and welcome! I find as I’ve gotten older, I’ve enlisted some power to help out. That really just goes for dimensioning. I used to take rough lumber to S4S with hand planes. I now flatten one side with hand planes and run it through a lunch box planer to surface the other side. Edge work is still done with hand planes and really doesn’t take a lot of energy. Other than the eyes, which Jamie mentioned, every other task doesn’t seem too effected by age.

ken hatch
09-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Eyes and strength change as you age. I'm on the back side of 76, soon to be 77 and over the last 5 or so years building workbenches has become more difficult. Not so much to stop building but the process is slower because I tire quickly and sometimes I have to ask for help moving heavy slabs and timber. All that said I'm still building workbenches and expect to continue as long as I can get my walker (a ways from using one) down the steps. The eyes are another story. Lights, loupes and such can help as can doing different types of projects. Projects where a slight imperfection is OK.

Stay with the hand tools. BTW. unless you have room and resources to buy a 12" or greater power jointer they are mostly a waste of space and money. My 8" joiner is used mostly to true one edge, almost never a face. A 20" or greater planer can be useful, combined with a big bandsaw (18" or greater) you have all the power tools needed to work after retirement.

ken

Doug Dawson
09-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Hi, I have enjoyed reading this forum, lots of good information and experience shared. This is my first post.

So Ive been wood working with mostly hand tools for a couple of years and Ive done a couple of projects that I’m pretty proud of. I have a band saw and a circular saw that I use some but enjoy the quiet and safety of hand tools. I’ve acquired a small but adequate collection of Stanley planes and a a few new Lie Nelson tools and consider continuing to collect or upgrade tools to include some finer vintage and/or some new premium planes. I’m within 10 years of retirement and before I continue to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on new tools, especially planes for dimensioning lumber, I consider whether as I age if I should include a power jointer to help with some of the heavy lifting. I was hoping to get some thoughts on this from some older wood workers that are in their 70’s 80’s or older. Hope this is not too personal.

Your memory starts to go so you'd do well to buy multiples of tools that you commonly use, in the hope that you'll eventually find at least one of them.

I used to use scrub planes a lot more, but then I got weaker and decided to do more electric jointing/planing. Then I realized that the reason I was getting weaker is that I wasn't doing enough hand planing. So I've started to incorporate the scrub planes back into my daily routine, along with swimming (but not at the same time.) I used to "bench press" automotive transmissions, but they've gotten more reliable lately, and there's nothing I can do about that. Lifting weights well into old age is good for you. Pugilistic hand planing, similar, safer than boxing.

steven c newman
09-22-2019, 1:11 PM
Biggest for me...COPD and stairs...and...Uncle Arthur (itis) in the hands and back. Makes it hard to grip round handles. Uncle Charles ( Horse) also gets in the act....

Now wear BiFocals....I'm just 67...."spring chicken"?, with bad knees..

lowell holmes
09-22-2019, 1:33 PM
I am 83 and walk 3/4 mile most morning. I have not detected loss of strength or endurance. I have been walking since I had a heart attack in 2005.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fittness+walkimg&oq=fittness+walkimg&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.7143j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Jim Koepke
09-22-2019, 1:35 PM

Your memory starts to go so you'd do well to buy multiples of tools that you commonly use, in the hope that you'll eventually find at least one of them.

I used to use scrub planes a lot more, but then I got weaker and decided to do more electric jointing/planing. Then I realized that the reason I was getting weaker is that I wasn't doing enough hand planing. So I've started to incorporate the scrub planes back into my daily routine, along with swimming (but not at the same time.) I used to "bench press" automotive transmissions, but they've gotten more reliable lately, and there's nothing I can do about that. Lifting weights well into old age is good for you. Pugilistic hand planing, similar, safer than boxing.

I am 83 and walk 3/4 mile most morning. I have not detected loss of strength or endurance. I have been walking since i had a heart attack in 1905.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fittness+walkimg&oq=fittness+walkimg&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.7143j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Howdy Josh and welcome to the Creek.

Some abilities do diminish with age for just about everyone. It is helpful to learn the various ways of using what one has, be it tool or strength. It also depends on what kinds of projects a person wants to pursue.

Another thing to consider with getting older is regular exercise is beneficial. Since having bypass surgery my medical advisors would like me to walk more. There can be a lot of walking involved in some hand planing operations. It isn't only about walking as other parts of ones body also receives a workout when planing.

jtk

Jim Matthews
09-22-2019, 5:32 PM
Most commenting here have a few more miles on their odometer. The road you travel getting there matters, too.

For me, the problems are related to vision and cognition.

Bright shop lighting and a checklist help.

Josh Robinson
09-22-2019, 6:20 PM
Thanks for the comments....very helpful.

Thomas Wilson
09-22-2019, 7:11 PM
Not quite to 70 yet. I am 67. I am lucky to be reasonably fit and active.

About the eyes, I have always had highly nearsighted eyes. It has never been an advantage before. Now, if I really want to see a line, I can take my glasses off and it is like wearing a jeweler’s loupe. Not everyone is so lucky. Good light really helps everybody. Bright light causes your pupil to close down. As any photographer will know, a smaller aperture increases the depth of field. In bright light, you can see better up close. It is an optical effect.

At my age, I am measurably slower but I can still do most things I always have. What is different is the level of effort that will cause me to procrastinate. If I have to set up a heavy tool that is in storage or dig to the bottom of a lumber pile to get out the wood I need, I might just go sit my chair and check the baseball scores instead. It helps me to plan out my shop so that lifting and hauling are not necessary. I never want to carry a sheet of 3/4 plywood from the driveway around the house to the basement again. I want to slide it off the truck and onto a cart that I can roll into the shop. I am building a new shop and am trying to anticipate and eliminate things that will be obstacles to getting to the fun part of woodworking. Lifting and hauling are things I want to limit. Running up and down stairs is really no fun. Tools on one level. I want stationary tools or at least on rollers, not a heavy tool on a shelf that has to be hauled out and set up on a bench or sawhorses.

About the hand tools, I have been mainly a power tool woodworker for most of life. I was always needed to deliver a product with limited time to work on it. I needed the speed of power tools. I am retired now and there is less pressure and more time to do a job. I have done a couple of projects with all hand tools. It is satisfying and quiet and I like it. What I have found is that I can do joinery either way. It is not physically demanding to saw and chisel dovetails or chop mortises and saw tenons. It is slower but that is the process not my age that make it so. Stock prep is a different story. Having a pile of 100 bd ft of rough sawn maple to get to dimension, that is a physically demanding job. As you get older you may want to have a jointer, planer, and band saw. Or you will want to find a club or guild or friend that has the tools you can use to prep stock. Or you may be an ageless wonder that can keep planing up your stock four square until you are 90. That will not be me.

Good luck. Getting old is not for sissies.

Tom M King
09-22-2019, 8:59 PM
I think it must vary a lot. I'm 69, still working full time, when I want to, which includes climbing, and working on roofs. I wish I could hire some younger guys that don't play out before me, doing a day's work. I am preparing different workshops to be more comfortable as I get older, as severe heat, and cold are becoming more of a bother. I've never worn glasses, and don't really need them yet. My newest drivers license is good through 73 without glasses, and I'm sure I can still pass any eye exam, so far.

Choosing parents must help too. My Mom is 103, still has all her teeth, never had a cavity, and was never sick a day in her life, until about a month ago, when she had a small stroke. My Dad left at 88, from Mesothelioma, after being in daily contact with asbestos for several years during WWII as a welder in the shipyard. He was pretty healthy too, until his last two weeks. His hands shook, but worked it out burning welding rods. I'm still using a trailer he built when he was 84.

Bill Carey
09-22-2019, 9:25 PM
Keep the posts coming Josh - great question. As has been noted a lot, the eyes get to be a problem. I have 2 pair of glasses: 1 for general use, and one focused at about 16", which I use for the computer and cutting dovetail (my moxon brings the work right into that range.) I worked as a carpenter for 20 years before getting into estimating, and the outfit I worked for all those years was notorious for burning guys out (wReck and Destroy was their nickname) so I developed an extreme, shark like, work ethic - keep moving or your drown. I got serious about this hobby a couple of years ago (at the age of 70) and bought a Grizzly TS and a Laguna band saw. I had most other power tools so I started as a power tool shop. But in the last 6 months have bought planes and hand saws and they are seeing more and more use. And using the hand tools is great exercise. I'm in good health - if you don't count the broken shoulders that still make raising my arms over my head an ordeal, and hand arthritis - so I push as hard as I can all the time. I figure I'm gonna slow down soon enough without pumping the brakes.

And I second the idea of walking - the 92 year old guy across the street from me walks a mile every day and is still an ornery old cuss.

And memory fades so I put in a white board to keep track of numbers and rough sketches, and I now keep a WW journal. As for the arthritis in my hands, I gave up water stone and bought a Worksharp.

Start working the way you enjoy and keep it up, and when you hit 80 it'll feel like you've doing it your whole life. It'll feel natural.

Marinus Loewensteijn
09-22-2019, 9:34 PM
I'm more concerned about powertools with bad eyesight than hand tools.

I know someonee who lost three fingers when using a sawbench just a few days before retiring, due to bad eyesight. A cousin lost his arm below the elbow when misjudging the uneven floor when stepping sideways when using a skilsaw. I used to be a radiographer at one stage and had someone who had a kickback from a chainsaw coming straight into his face. My father cheated death when a bench planer lost a blade when he switched it on and he had not tightened the blades properly. A piece shaved a piece out of his hair but missed skin and went through an inner door.

So rather than more powertools I've gone to less powertools.

I've gone to using 1-3/4" planes, a #3 and a #5-1/4, helped a lot with arthritis in the hands / wrists / shoulders. The #5-1/4 is an overlooked plane but often are Board of Education versions and have been misused by youngster with too much testerone. I bought an early four square, a cheaper version of the type 12 Stanley without the rosewood handle and without a frog adjustment screw.

I've also obtained some long steel rulers and use some feeler gauges to check flatness as eyes are not too good. (retina lifting in predominant eye just in the center of vision, other some cataract worsening). For measuring the angle of sharpening my chisels and blades on waterstones I use an digital angle finder so can read a number instead.

It helped to get an edge plane to get square edges. A decent jigsaw (Metabo STE 140 jigsaw, cutting depth 140mm) is not as noisy (and dangerous) as the big stuff and easier on the wrist. Get some cleancut blades, safer than a bandsaw.

Done away with my router table and am very aware of how I start the router (in case I've not tightened the bit properly) and how I use it. Am giving thoughts if, and how, I best can replace it.

Am building a table top work platform at the moment, my "Swiss cheese butcher block" which will be a two man lift (about 29 ~ 30 Kgs) that will be used for planing and as a clamping setup rather than having a vise etc. I've cut up a laminated 2200mmx600mmx26mm beech benchtop and the table benchtop is going to be approx 900mmx470mm with the top being 52mm and the side 105mm. Clamping to be done with Veritas surface clamps and some wooden dowels, all 20mm holes (can use some Festool or Bessey stuff, not locked in with Veritas).

Plenty of optical assistance can be found: I'm already thinking of using an overhead (and a second portable) digital camera and a big screen above the work bench.

No need to give up woodworking, I knew someone who was still building dinghies when he was 97....

Edit: Instead of an edge plane I should have bought the skewed rabbet block plane and made a longer fence to sit square against the side of the board. Am right handed but bought the left handed version because the arthritis in the right hand is worse making the right hand the weaker one.

Marinus Loewensteijn
09-23-2019, 12:07 AM
Lately I have been considering Japanese style planes: pull instead of push. Easier on the arthritic wrist joints.

And the difference between the skew rabbet plane and the edge plane is that the skew rabbet pulls the plane against the edge whereas the edge plane has a tendency to push away from it.

Andrew Seemann
09-23-2019, 12:58 AM
Staring at the big 50, I'm probably a young pup compared to most here, although I have done woodworking in some form for the last 40 years, primarily as a hobby. What I find is that I can do most everything that I could do, but not necessarily as long and sometimes not as well, starting with the number of hours worked in a day. When I was younger 12 hour days in a shop were no problem. Now about 6-8 is my max. I have a concrete floor in my current shop, and about 6 hours is all my back wants to do in day, unless I take a lot of breaks.

Arthritis also takes its toll. Those planes are harder to hold onto and not as easy to use for as long as they used to be. Card scrapers can't be used as long as they used to. The floor has gotten further down. The old George Burns joke about getting down on the floor for something and then saying, "what else can I do while I am down here?" hits home now.

Eyesight isn't what it used to be especially in low light. When I drew up my lighting plan for my shop 10 years ago, I used a wattage per square foot thing from a Fine Woodworking article. When I was finished and turned it on, I thought it was blindingly bright. Now I think it is just too bright. I'm sure in another 10 years I'll think it is just right, and in 20 years I'll need more task lights.

I also notice I am a shade clumsier than I used to be. I drop more things than I used to and not when I expect it. I don't want to start the SawStop fight, but I'll be getting one in a few years. I don't want to trust that I will always be as good around the saw as I am now. It only takes one split second of inattention, and the attention span isn't what it used to be either.

On the positive side though, as the kids have gotten older, I've actually been able to spend more time in the shop. I also have a lot more experience in doing things and don't get hung on problems, or get stuck in certain phases of design like I used to. I now know when to give up on a part, throw it in the fire, and start over rather than trying to save it. I now can actually afford decent wood and have the full complement of machines (except a decent jointer, still need to get one of those), so things are so much easier and faster now. Also, now that I have pieces that are 20-30 years old, I know how they have weathered through use and the seasons, and know what I need to design for.

Plus after making 40 years of mistakes, I'm almost at the point where I realize I'm doing something wrong ahead of time. Well, almost:)

Wayne Cannon
09-23-2019, 2:17 AM
About five years ago, I began having difficulty seeing fine details without a LOT of light. After several years of struggling with things, I had cataract surgery. Amazing. My vision is now as good as when I was in my 20s. If that's your situation, don't hesitate.

At 73 now, getting up from the floor has become a multi-step process. Pick-up tools are definitely convenient, but not yet a necessity.

Matt Lau
09-23-2019, 3:58 PM
35 here. Not a very good woodworker, but I think I'll get better with age.

I think patience and maturity are things not to be undervalued.

Bill Lyman
09-23-2019, 4:36 PM
I am 79 with a very bad back, but I just finished handplaning a 2' x 4' table top flat and smooth -- slowly with lots of breaks. Same with most everying thing else -- slowly with lots of breaks. I have learned to set things up before doing them, such as roller stands in front of the table saw before sawing a 4x8 sheetof 3/4" plywood. If something is too heavy, such a mounting a vice on the end of the work table, I can call a younger friend for help.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-23-2019, 5:09 PM
Eyes getting bad and needing more light. Not as strong as I once thought I was. I have maybe 10 pair of safety bifocals (a great thing to have) but I can never find most of them.
Alzheimers sucks, but I can't remember why.......
Yep writing down stuff helps.

ken hatch
09-23-2019, 5:23 PM
I am 79 with a very bad back, but I just finished handplaning a 2' x 4' table top flat and smooth -- slowly with lots of breaks. Same with most everying thing else -- slowly with lots of breaks. I have learned to set things up before doing them, such as roller stands in front of the table saw before sawing a 4x8 sheetof 3/4" plywood. If something is too heavy, such a mounting a vice on the end of the work table, I can call a younger friend for help.

Bill,

You have found the key. First keep on keeping on, second take your time, and third have a younger friend even if he/she also has a bad back.

I'd like to add, nice looking shop, that helps as well.

ken

Josh Robinson
09-23-2019, 5:42 PM
A lot of good advice...thank you all! I am pretty optimistic about growing older as it relates to woodworking, and life in general I suppose, from reading your comments. What I take from this is basically; take care of yourself, do what makes you happy and you’ll figure out ways to deal with limitations when they arise.

Tom M King
09-23-2019, 7:54 PM

If there was a "like" button, I would have hit it on that post!

Larry Frank
09-23-2019, 9:00 PM
I have a very bad back and do not consider moving a sheet of plywood. I have too many screws, bolts, wires and other things in my back. I also have bad wrists, hip etc so there are many things to avoid. I just have to figure out other ways to do things. I like hand tools but some do not like me. I use them when possible.

Jack Frederick
09-24-2019, 11:00 AM
I'll be 71 in a couple weeks. Put a metal roof on an 8/12 pitch yesterday and I did the walking. You are 10 years...or so;), from retirement. The best advice I can give you is to take care of yourself. As you age you loose muscle mass. You also loose flexibility. You can work to maintain both, but I think flexibility is key. I can use levers, ramps, wheels and lift to handle material, if I can bend over to get things set up. If I can't bend & reach, I'm done.
I have always used the "funnel" analogy. Ultimately, we are all going to come out of the small end of the funnel. With my Grandkids, as with my children I told them that the goal is to stay in the top/wide end of the funnel as long as you can. Be a good student, work hard, do all the good things and you will stay higher in the funnel. Get in trouble, smoke, mis-behave, etc you work your way down the funnel faster. The funnel story never changes, but for us I think "keep moving" is the key.

Bruce Volden
09-24-2019, 2:40 PM
I'm a spry 66 y/o and have found that the manufacturer's of modern light bulbs are purposely making them dimmer.
Carpal tunnel (carmel apple to me) plagues me with electric jolts to my wrists--shocking isn't it?
Back and knees are slowing me down--never cared for running anyway.
Where in the H did I put that?--keeps me actively searching so I get my steps in.
I buy reading glasses in bulk and keep them scattered across my domain, although I'm often searching for these also.
And last but not least, am I forgetting anything?

Alas, I have finally become more patient in life.

Bruce

John K Jordan
09-24-2019, 4:01 PM
Coming up on 70. I did have a lot more energy back with I turned 69 (:)) but still have plenty of strength. Maybe it's hauling and stacking hay, trees and sawmilling, herding llamas, exercising horses, etc. I mostly do woodturning and handle a lot of wood, sometimes heavy. I use more power tools than hand tools (lathe, bandsaw, chainsaw, sawmill) but love the physical wood contact when carving, scraping, and sanding, but my elderly shop list focuses more on power tools. I've been retired since 2006.

Some things I find helps a lot for woodworking when older:

- Expect to get tired easier. Fight that with more exercise. Take frequent breaks and do something completely different, read, take a walk, sketch a plan.

- Expect short-term memory to weaken. Excellent tip from a friend: keep a couple of folded 3x5 cards in the pocket for notes and to-do.

- Wear eye and hearing protection. Always.

- Make use of a good dust collector.

- Some people are too proud to go to the doctor with "small" problems or questions. Getting older is not the time for this!

- Add more light in the shop for dimming eyes. My fixtures each have four 4000 lumen bulbs. I keep very bright task lights at lathes, bandsaw, milling machine, etc.

- More comfort in the shop. This means heat and air for year round use. Put in a bathroom. (I didn't but am trying to fix that)

- Keep the Lovely Bride happy. This means more cooperation, more time, better nutrition, happier and healthier life!

- Spend more time outside and in the shop than in front of the TV. I haven't watched an hour of TV in maybe 13 years.

- Spend as much time with young people and children - they will keep you energized! I've been teaching kindergarten SS for maybe 26 years now and they definitely keep me moving, physically and mentally.

- Avoid distractions to keep the hands and fingers intact. Stop and THINK more for every operation. When tiring, instead of doing things that can cut, do things like planning and layout or straightening up. Expect to be tired more!

- Get a Fitbit for encouragement to move. I found I walk an average of between 5 and 6 miles a day, just here on the farm. I'm down 10 lbs in the last few months.

- Use heavy equipment for lifting and moving things. My latest woodturning "tool" will hold a 1000lb log off the ground for chainsawing! (Ok, this is a little extreme but sure saves the back. Can hold a 1000 lb log by one end in a comfortable position for chainsawing turning chunks!)

Lacking that, invite a friend or son over as needed. A chain hoist in the shop can be handy. A friend mounted an i-beam across the ceiling of his shop used a cheap hoist a LOT to load/unload from the back of a truck, move things around. I've known so many older people who suffered from one misadventure with something a little too heavy.

JKJ

Mike Allen1010
09-24-2019, 4:19 PM
Really interesting and I think generally optimistic Thread– thanks for posting.

This thread makes me wonder what is the average age of folks here in the Cave? Most of my in person interaction with woodworkers is through the local community college program and woodworking clubs when I occasionally bore them with way too much information about hand saws. My experience is lots of 50–60-year-old white guys.

I started Woodworking in my 20s after reading a James Krenov book because I needed some basic furniture I couldn’t afford to buy and have been self taught ever since. I remember clearly almost quitting when I couldn’t make my first hand plane work anything like the pictures I saw.

Would have been great to spend time with an experience woodworker to show me the ropes – would’ve certainly shorten my learning curve by years.

I’m 60 now and some of my most rewarding experiences are working with younger woodworkers who have power tool experience and want to learn about handtools - super fun and gratifying.

After 40 years of woodworking, Sherrie and I and our 2 Boys Have Way more furniture than we need. I’m challenged to come up with ideas for new projects - what am I gonna do with them - Got no place to put them?

Seems like some kind a fundamental imbalance – generally young people need furniture, but it’s old woodworkers like me who know how to make it. Does this seem like some kind of mentoring opportunity that benefits everyone, or more likely am I way off base what do you think?

Best, Mike

Jim Koepke
09-24-2019, 5:22 PM
A lot of good advice...thank you all! I am pretty optimistic about growing older as it relates to woodworking, and life in general I suppose, from reading your comments. What I take from this is basically; take care of yourself, do what makes you happy and you’ll figure out ways to deal with limitations when they arise.

One thing you may consider if you have a benefit for eyeglasses through your employer is to get fit for glasses even if you think you do not need them. The reason for this is so you have the frames after you retire. It will save you money when you do need glasses.

I have maybe 10 pair of safety bifocals (a great thing to have) but I can never find most of them.
Alzheimers sucks, but I can't remember why.......

My problem with this was solved by making myself put things away where they belong. "A place for everything and everything in its place."

Another helping habit is to not move things once they have 'a proper place.' The only time this rule is amended is if when looking for an item multiple times another place is checked first. Then the item may get moved to what seemed to be a more appropriate spot for it to reside.

There are other little tricks one can use to help retain memory. Many of mine use the placement of objects to be evens or odds, port or starboard and such.

Of late there have been articles on eating salads being related to avoiding memory loss. There have also been articles on how doing crossword puzzles may also forestall memory loss.

jtk

--May we all age well for a long time.

steven c newman
09-24-2019, 5:41 PM
Now..IF I can just get my right hand to stop shaking....hard to even drink from a glass...left hand is fine....except I am right-handed...

Will Blick
09-24-2019, 10:09 PM
Some great feedback, we all benefit from reading these comments. Aging is something we all have in common.

Interesting query about age of Creekers or ww in general. I agree, it seems mostly older. WW is like Astronomy, its more appreciated by older people who grew up in different times, pre internet, cable tv, etc.

AS for age, this thread demonstrates my life experiences. I have a friend who is 70, he plays 4hrs a day of competitive college level tennis. He plays 20 year olds so hard, they puke on the court... he leaves them to recover, and looks around for another tennis partner. He eats junk, is fit as a 20 yr old athlete, has unlimited endurance and the strength of a body builder, despite never lifting weights. Not a single health problem, no aches n pains, never gets sick, never been in hospital, never had a surgery, no arthritis. very mild vision issue and hearing, mental acuity still good, slight drop in last 20 yrs. He is a freak of nature. His genes are worth a fortune, more valuable than wealth. If you are on this side of the equation, anything is possible.

OTOH, my brother, late 50's, has no strength, super fatigued, tons of body aches and pains from past sports abuse, arthritis, bad back that is always nagging him, mental acuity fading, no desire, un motivated, etc, etc. He would never even consider ww as a hobby!

So each person has to be honest with themselves, (not easy) as we can only play the hand we were dealt. Some at 60 are not really fit for ww, while others at 90 work great in the shop. The other factor we must all consider is, things can change fast at 60+. Injuries, mental acuity, eyesight, strength, stamina. Some health conditions are just cruel.

AS to the OP, I am impressed with anyone who can use nothing but hand tools to build projects. Hand tools are quite brutal when you are dimensioning the wood, and cutting it all by hand. To me, that is sooo much work, I dont have time to focus on the actual project, I can get too burnt out. and I love hand tools, I have a ton of them!! Yes, I always use a jointer and planer, I like to start with wood that is close to its end use. There is enough going on with joining, edge treatment, embelleshments, finishing, etc. Of course a lot depends on the size of the projects u want to work on.

Its amazing how many types of ww there are... tiny projects v huge projects, hand tools vs power tools, tool admirers vs. project admirers, green wood v fully dimensioned wood, turners vs. box builders, restoration vs. design/build, sharpening as a ww hobby, tool collectors, etc. etc. Pick your posioin, whatever brings you joy!!

Osvaldo Cristo
09-24-2019, 11:40 PM
I am 57 and with a good health... my challenge is basically my vision.

Up to a some years ago I didn't need glasses at all... then I needed only for reading... since a couple of years ago I need glasses for any task demanding some precision, woodworking included.

Curt Harms
09-25-2019, 11:31 AM
I am 57 and with a good health... my challenge is basically my vision.

Up to a some years ago I didn't need glasses at all... then I needed only for reading... since a couple of years ago I need glasses for any task demanding some precision, woodworking included.

Presbyopia is an afflication affecting nearly everyone as we age and I started using reading glasses in my mid 50s as well. I have older brothers and they experienced about the same age when they needed glasses so I don't know to what extent genetics impacts it.

Steve Voigt
09-25-2019, 11:58 AM
I'm on the younger side of respondents to this thread, but FWIW I plan to keep working at my bench until I keel over. That'd be a good way to go IMO.
I do want to respond to the OP's question about a jointer…if you are into hand tools, and not doing it for a living, I would put the tailed jointer pretty low down on the list of priorities. In terms of machines that ease the physical burden, a decent bandsaw is number one, and might be all you need. After that, a thickness planer is number two. Flattening edges and faces with a plane is not that arduous or time consuming, but thicknessing definitely can be, and a decent 12" or 13" lunchbox planer is not that expensive relative to some other machines, so that's where my money would go.

*A little more on that last sentence: Flattening a face is not arduous if you do it efficiently, by simply removing the high spots. If you follow the late 20th c. practice of mechanically traversing across every board, then planing diagonally in an X, and then planing long strokes with the grain, flattening (or "trying") a board is indeed arduous. But it shouldn't be that way. Bottom line: you probably don't need a 'lectric jointer.

ken hatch
09-25-2019, 12:54 PM
I'm on the younger side of respondents to this thread, but FWIW I plan to keep working at my bench until I keel over. That'd be a good way to go IMO.
I do want to respond to the OP's question about a jointer…if you are into hand tools, and not doing it for a living, I would put the tailed jointer pretty low down on the list of priorities. In terms of machines that ease the physical burden, a decent bandsaw is number one, and might be all you need. After that, a thickness planer is number two. Flattening edges and faces with a plane is not that arduous or time consuming, but thicknessing definitely can be, and a decent 12" or 13" lunchbox planer is not that expensive relative to some other machines, so that's where my money would go.

*A little more on that last sentence: Flattening a face is not arduous if you do it efficiently, by simply removing the high spots. If you follow the late 20th c. practice of mechanically traversing across every board, then planing diagonally in an X, and then planing long strokes with the grain, flattening (or "trying") a board is indeed arduous. But it shouldn't be that way. Bottom line: you probably don't need a 'lectric jointer.

Steve,

I agree 100%. Small jointers are not that useful in most shops because they are very limited in the width of board they can address. A quick skip plane with a "Jack" (BTW I highly recommend your Jack for that job) to remove the high spots and address wind in prep for the planer is many times quicker and with better results than using a small jointer, especially if you have to cut a board down to fit the small jointer. I'd almost give up half my other tools before giving up my 18" bandsaw. A lunch box thickness planer with a Jack plane will do 90% maybe even 95% of needed truing of lumber but damn they are noisy, if you don't have hearing problems before using one, you will afterwards. If you have space and can afford it a reasonably big (25" or bigger) thickness planer is a treat to have. If you do not work sheet goods all the time lose the table saw, for occasional use a track saw works as well, is safer and takes up a lot less space. I'd sell my 8" jointer and cabinet table saw in a heartbeat if I could get 1/2 what I paid for 'em.

I've thought about (for maybe two seconds) installing an overhead chain lift like I used to use in my Dad's machine shop to help with bench slabs and the needed timber. If I had more overhead I'm not sure I wouldn't do it:D, it sure would negate some of the effects of being older than dirt.

ken

Steve Voigt
09-25-2019, 8:01 PM
Ken, I'm with you on the noise. I don't use my lunchbox planer very often, and the screaming direct drive motor is the main reason. I don't have the space or the funds for a stationary planer, but it would be nice to have one. Still, the old screamer will do until then…

Joel David Katz
09-25-2019, 10:28 PM
I, like others here, use my jointer, planer, and tablesaw to dimension the wood I use in my projects. I use hand-tools for nearly every other operation, i.e., the joinery and the surface prep prior to finishing. I make a variety of pieces, from small boxes to larger furniture items and I follow the same pattern no matter what the size of the piece I am building. I've been woodworking for some 35 years. I retired in 2015 and I am 69 years old. I am in relatively good physical shape, but breaking down sheet goods for cabinets is far more difficult than it was when I was a younger man. I spend a lot of time in my shop these days, and I hope to do so until the day I start my eternal dirt nap.

Doug Dawson
09-26-2019, 2:24 AM
About the eyes, I have always had highly nearsighted eyes. It has never been an advantage before. Now, if I really want to see a line, I can take my glasses off and it is like wearing a jeweler’s loupe. Not everyone is so lucky. Good light really helps everybody. Bright light causes your pupil to close down. As any photographer will know, a smaller aperture increases the depth of field. In bright light, you can see better up close. It is an optical effect.

Ah, the dreaded coreopsis. I sympathize. I used to wear contacts, now I wear glasses. All I have to do to listen to music is remove them and look at the grooves. It is my superpower.

I started out in auto mechanics, but I was so nearsighted, it was thought best that I migrate to quantum mechanics, which I did. I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque. At least my back stopped hurting.

Thomas Wilson
09-26-2019, 1:28 PM
Ah, the dreaded coreopsis. I sympathize. I used to wear contacts, now I wear glasses. All I have to do to listen to music is remove them and look at the grooves. It is my superpower.

I started out in auto mechanics, but I was so nearsighted, it was thought best that I migrate to quantum mechanics, which I did. I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque. At least my back stopped hurting.

Haha. Maybe “dreaded camera obscura”?I think you probably made a good career move. My wrong turn was perhaps in Knoxville.

Aaron Rosenthal
09-26-2019, 2:00 PM
Even though until 2 weeks ago I went to the gym almost daily (I got the 'flu and don't want to affect others), for my weightlifting regimen, I find myself getting more tired easily and just don't want to be on my feet all day.
I also don't ride as many long distance trips on the Harley as I used to.
It's frustrating, but better than the alternative.

Mike Brady
09-28-2019, 2:01 PM
Lots of wisdom, experience and good advice in this thread. I hear you, and thanks to all.

Derek Cohen
09-29-2019, 5:16 AM
In my 69th year, there is the awareness that I need to treat my body with more respect. I stay pretty fit (power walk daily), but have lost some of the physical strength of my earlier years ... I certainly lack the ability to read fine details without glasses, and I am more vulnerable to aches and pains through over-use of muscle and tendon. On the other hand, my enthusiasm has not dimmed, and I continue to gain knowledge, such as improving my understand of joinery, the ability to read grain, and developing an eye for detail and design.

In addition to the physical loses, I am aware that time moves on and there is less of it for building as I used to do. There is the realisation that I shall re-focus my energies to smaller pieces ... not necessarily less complex - hopefully more complex ... life is about pushing the envelope as far as possible, without being silly about this. My thoughts are moving from cases to chairs.

The choice of tools is reflected here. There is nothing heroic about turning a tree into a cabinet sans electricity. While I am grateful for the years in which I used planes to prepare the rough stuff, I am now content to use the wonderful machines I have been acquiring in more recent years to do the donkey work. The fun lies with the details, and my satisfaction comes from a fine and final product. Hand tools combined with power tools make this possible. They work as a team, supporting each other, sometimes interchangeable, sometimes taking the staring role. Hopefully age brings with it better judgement and less extreme beliefs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

lowell holmes
09-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Derek, I had a heart attack in 2005. While recuperating I read a book on fitness walking. Since reading the book. I walk 3/8 to 1/2 mile daily. My health is much better than it was. I also weigh about 40 pounds less than I did.
Hey guys, see this link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fitness+walking+reduces+the+risk+of+which +disease&oq=futtness+walking&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.15327j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Jim Koepke
09-30-2019, 2:15 AM
This is a post on what could be called shop exercise:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272588

Not everyday, but as often as possible some of my time is spent planing or working wood as a form of exercise.

jtk

ken hatch
09-30-2019, 9:59 AM
This is a post on what could be called shop exercise:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272588

Not everyday, but as often as possible some of my time is spent planing or working wood as a form of exercise.

jtk

Jim,

Shame on you, calling it exercise just ruined it :p. I gotta buy bigger machines now.

That is one of the things age has affected, I don't attack wonky timber as often as I once did. I now find work arounds for the most part.

ken

Jim Koepke
09-30-2019, 2:12 PM
Jim,

Shame on you, calling it exercise just ruined it :p. I gotta buy bigger machines now.

That is one of the things age has affected, I don't attack wonky timber as often as I once did. I now find work arounds for the most part.

ken

If you read the post you will see one of my work arounds for all the planing was to come up with a way to feed it through the bandsaw.

My stamina has also lost a bit over the years. Sometimes it is a few minutes of planing, sometimes it is an hour or more. It seems the more that is done the longer my stamina can hold on. My feeling is the exercise helps to build stamina even for old folks. The trick is to not over do it and to let it build up, then keep it up.

jtk

Will Blick
09-30-2019, 4:39 PM
Having good energy, or at a min., lack of fatigue, I find is the most most valuable asset to engage in activities, specially ww. Its amazing how some people have it, and others loose it at certain ages. I know some guys at 90 that have more nrg than guys 60. I have it on and off... the off days really frustrate me. I try stimulates, but they cause withdraws, crashing, etc. Hard to trick the body. Supposedly, it's all in the mitochondria, and the genes that control them. Wish they were further along with that research !!!

Jerry Olexa
10-01-2019, 1:01 PM
Yes, as we get older our overall speed slows down..I used to work on a project ALL day and then return to it after dinner.....Energy level or expectations not as they used to be 20 yrs ago....Ah yes: "Why is youth wasted on the young"?

steven c newman
10-01-2019, 1:15 PM
Used to be, I could work 8-12 hours in the shop. Now? 2-4 hours is about it....I might "push things a bit to 6 hours....but have to take the next day off....still learning to cope with Bifocals, too...

Matt Lau
10-02-2019, 5:32 PM
Now..IF I can just get my right hand to stop shaking....hard to even drink from a glass...left hand is fine....except I am right-handed...

There's drills you can practice to help with that.
I recommend practicing extremely slowly on your form, aim for smoothness.
Also for other motions, having a proprioceptive anchor (touching something--like the side of your cheek) can be very helpful.

As a dentist, shaking hands are something that patients don't tolerate.

Matt Lau
10-02-2019, 5:38 PM
Much respect to everyone here.

My mentor just turned 71 three weeks ago.
He runs circles around me....works about 14 hours a day (out of choice, could have retired decades ago).
On weekends, he hangs drywall and rebuilds houses for fun.
He also does some very, very good dentistry.

In contrast, I'm a wimp....just work 10 hours a day. Tai chi...but end up being lazy most of the time. Need to clear up my workshop.
Think like an old person...have created systems to keep my fingers away from blades and power tools.
Meanwhile, my mentor doesn't even use a guard on his table saw.

Thomas L Carpenter
10-02-2019, 6:29 PM
This thread has been great. All the things that bother me at 74 have been covered at least once although my Essential Tremor hasn't surfaced yet but i don't think that's function of age. Hands and arms tremble, sometimes a lot and sometimes not so much but nothing that can't be overcome. I walk about a mile 3 or 4 times a week and it hasn't become any easier after about about 6 weeks but it does seem to help the arthritis in my back and hips. Keep on keeping on!

Derek Cohen
10-02-2019, 7:53 PM
Thomas, my day job as a clinical psychologist involves sitting in one position for about 10-11 hours every day. This is not only mentally exhausting, but it takes it out on muscles in the back, neck, etc. I get up and move around at every excuse, but it is a drop in the ocean. Consequently, as part of my daily exercise regime, I do stretches for my back and exercises for stomach muscles. These help. Check out YouTube for ideas.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stewie Simpson
10-02-2019, 8:04 PM
Crikey; at 57, I would fall within the category of only being a pup on smc.

steven c newman
10-02-2019, 8:59 PM
having a "Stang" of a time...getting these tiny screws in...
Screwdrivers kept taking the "scenic route" onto the head of each screw...let alone USING it....

Bill Carey
10-02-2019, 9:34 PM
here's another thing to watch out for:

A couple of 4 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks (huh - what else is a great deal at 6 bucks??) so I ordered one.
A couple of 2 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks so I ordered one.

Yes indeed - I have a backup! And 6 bundles of lead.

I checked and thanks goodness I only ordered one Makita router.

Mark Rainey
10-03-2019, 5:54 PM

A couple of 4 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks (huh - what else is a great deal at 6 bucks??) so I ordered one.
A couple of 2 days ago I read the thread about mechanical pencils, and was impressed with the engineering in the Zebra Delguard pencil, which is only 6 bucks so I ordered one.

Good one Bill!

Jim Koepke
10-03-2019, 6:57 PM

One of my mechanical pencils went missing last week. My thought was it must have been dropped while we were shopping at Costco. It is one that has been in use since about the same time of my getting married 37 years ago. So a suitable replacement was found in a two pack with the same style side lead feeding system and brought home. A few days ago my wife is looking under the seat in the car and finds my old pencil.

Oh well, now my wife has one of the new ones some new lead was put in my old one and there is another for in the shop or the computer room.

jtk

Mel Fulks
10-03-2019, 8:29 PM
Jim, this could be the first time "putting lead in your pencil" referred to putting lead in a pencil.

Marinus Loewensteijn
10-03-2019, 11:34 PM

I ended up with two Stanley's #5-1/4, don't know how the second one came about. Not sad about the second one, both will be put to good use. And a #39 1/2" turned up and don't know how that happened. At least I have not booked a world tour. ;-)

Jim Koepke
10-04-2019, 3:34 PM
I ended up with two Stanley's #5-1/4, don't know how the second one came about. [edited]

A #5-1/4 can make a great scrub plane if you need to dimension wood or work on rough cut wood.

The #5-1/4 is in the middle. It looks like it was beat to heck and back in a High School shop class.

jtk

Doug Dawson
10-04-2019, 4:55 PM
A #5-1/4 can make a great scrub plane if you need to dimension wood or work on rough cut wood.

The #5-1/4 is in the middle. It looks like it was beat to heck and back in a High School shop class.

Yeah, somebody tore it a new hanging hole. High school, it can be like Lord of the Flies for a plane.

Jim Koepke
10-04-2019, 6:00 PM
Yeah, somebody tore it a new hanging hole. High school, it can be like Lord of the Flies for a plane.

And don't forget the smirk (aka crack) at the top side of the mouth. If my memory is working it likely has a small crack at the bottom of the mouth to go with it. The lateral lever is also broken. A lateral lever on a scrub plane isn't really needed.

This was how a lemon of an ebay deal was turned into lemonade.

jtk

Darcy Warner
10-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Can't put in 14 hour days anymore, down to 12s.

Jim Koepke
10-08-2019, 2:14 PM

It isn't as noticeable, but the #5, top plane in the image, also has a hang hole at the heel.

jtk