PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 18" bandsaw

David Wilson
12-15-2005, 5:31 PM
Well folks, I have had my 10-340 Rikon bandsaw for just under two months and thought a report was dew. The saw does all that is advertised
and I am very happy with it. There were two issues with the saw which needed to be resolved. There wer no instructions on adjusting the fence and the switch was sticky. ( Hard to turn off.) Got on the phone with Rod Burrow at Rikon tech service. Seems that a couple of paragraphs were omitted from the new manual. Well, I was at work and didn't have the serial# or invoice with me. He told me that he would send out the switch and e-mail the instructions and I should reply with the ser# Rod e-mailed me the missing instructions and a couple days later the switch showed up in a brown truck.
. I have built 5 bandsaw boxes so far using a 1/4" lennox blade and it cuts great. After adjusting the fence for drift I tried some resawing and was abel to take a 1/16" slice of white oak off a 10" block. All in all I am very pleased with the saw and unusally good customer service.

Don Dean
12-15-2005, 5:50 PM
Thanks for the update. I have one on order and waiting for delivery.

John Bailey
12-15-2005, 6:40 PM
Thanks for the update Dave. I seem to be on a perpetual bandsaw search, so any info is much appreciated.

John

Tony Falotico
12-15-2005, 8:26 PM
Last time I was in Woodcraft (a couple months ago) they were big time pushing the Rikons. I noticed the other day on their website under the 10-340, 18" it says Note: Woodcraft no longer carries this item. Wonder what gives ??

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=4065&FamilyID=5220

John Towns
12-15-2005, 9:20 PM
I am new here on this block. I have been reading and learning a great deal from all of you experienced sawdust makers. I appreciate the wisdom that is shared here.
I have been shopping for a bandsaw and have been closely studying the Rikon. When I finally decided, I called Woodcraft since they seem to be the only ones in my area that carried Rikon. I was told that they were out. When I called Rikon and talked to one of their support guys, he told me that the Woodcraft promotion where they marked the 10-340 down to something like $899, wiped out the Rikon warehouse supply. When the 10-340 is gone...they are gone. Rikon apparently is brining out a new model in January that is an upgrade, but it also has an 'upgraded' price. I think it was over $1100, but I may be mistaken. In any case, I found one Woodcraft that has a floor model, and I plan to drive over tomorrow afternoon and pick it up.

I am pleased that you have had a positive experience with the Rikon. I was impressed with the telephone support I received. Thet seem like a company that is really trying to help us out.

John

Roy Wall
12-15-2005, 9:27 PM
I am new here on this block. I have been reading and learning a great deal from all of you experienced sawdust makers. I appreciate the wisdom that is shared here.
I have been shopping for a bandsaw and have been closely studying the Rikon. When I finally decided, I called Woodcraft since they seem to be the only ones in my area that carried Rikon. I was told that they were out. When I called Rikon and talked to one of their support guys, he told me that the Woodcraft promotion where they marked the 10-340 down to something like $899, wiped out the Rikon warehouse supply. When the 10-340 is gone...they are gone. Rikon apparently is brining out a new model in January that is an upgrade, but it also has an 'upgraded' price. I think it was over $1100, but I may be mistaken. In any case, I found one Woodcraft that has a floor model, and I plan to drive over tomorrow afternoon and pick it up.

I am pleased that you have had a positive experience with the Rikon. I was impressed with the telephone support I received. Thet seem like a company that is really trying to help us out.

John

John, Welcome to SMC!!

You are correct about the new upgraded Rikon being around $1100+.... Many have said the 10-340 is a solid Bandsaw.....I looked at one; it has a lot of good features...

craig carlson
12-15-2005, 11:22 PM
My main complaint with the saw is that the guides are finicky adjust. Other than that how can you wrong for the money? Biggest bang for the buck!
Craig

John Haberle
12-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I picked up my Rikon 18" about a month ago. The upper guide bearing block was badly machined. The adjusting bar was at least 10 deg out causing the bearing to contact the blade at a angle. The right side bearing would not even come close to touching the blade. I contacted customer service and emailed a picture and one week later I had a replacement bearing block that worked. Overall I'm very happy with the saw and the customer service.

RichMagnone
12-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Any Rikon owners ever hear anything about the promised modification so the saw can use 1/8 in blades?

John Bailey
12-16-2005, 3:27 AM
John Towns,

Welcome to the "Creek." It's the best place around, as you know if you've been reading the posts. There've been many good posts about the Rikon, so I think you'll enjoy the machine.

John

Hank Keller
12-16-2005, 7:35 AM
Dave-
What specific information about the fence adjustment was missing. I have mine together but havent completed the set up yet and was wondering if I am missing the same info.
Hank

David Wilson
12-16-2005, 1:24 PM
Hank
The info missing was on how to adjust the fence so it is at 90 deg to the tabel and on adjusting for blade drift. If you don't have this info PM me and I will e-mail it to you.

Syd Lorandeau
12-16-2005, 9:49 PM
Hi Dave;
Just came up from the work shop from setting up my new 10-340. Found the instructions a little hard to go with as they leave a little out but got through it ok. Now after reading your post you are right there was nothing about squareing up the fence to the blade. If you will send me the info I will be very happy. E-mail slorandeau@verizon.net If anyone in the NH area is thinking about buying a Rikon, Delta, Portacable, ect, there is a new dealer here that is great on pricing, once I decided on Rikon I did a lot of shopping.
Syd

John Towns
12-22-2005, 5:56 AM
Well, it took me several days to figure out how to get this monster bandsaw from the store to my garage. It certainly is nice to have a next door neighbor who is willing to give up an entire evening to drive to another state with me.
Now the next challenge is to get my garage wired for 220. I am like a kid who got the biggest Christmas present that came with NO BATTERIES! I must be patient.

Dick Parr
12-22-2005, 8:20 AM
Glad to hear it is what they say it is David and am more glad that you are pleased with it. Your doing a great job on the BSB.:)

Jerry Clark
12-22-2005, 9:41 AM
David I bought the Rikon 14 inch and an also happy with it. I did notice that the 4 inch dust port on mine is not 4 inches-- much smaller inside the saw. I also have a switch that is difficult to operate. I will contact them!:cool:

Michael Adelong
12-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Hello everyone.

I've had my Rikon saw(s) for about 6 weeks, and I am very happy with it. Unfortunately, I had to return my first one. The hole for the top adjustment screw (pitch adjustment) on the bottom wheel was not drilled or tapped properly. I noticed that it was at a funny angle when I unpacked the saw, but I didn't think anything about it. After a couple of days, I saw that it looked different. When I touched the screw, it fell right out. Apparently, the angle of the screw and the lock nut were holding it in place. I called Rikon and they suggested that I either leave it alone because I shouldn't have to adjust it, or that I should tap it out. I opted to exchange it for another one at WC.

Before I took the saw back, I examined the option of tapping the hole and replacing the bolt. All of the taps that I had access to have a taper on the end to allow them to center themselves in the hole to be tapped. By the time that the taper would have penetated the ring where the hole is far enough to start cutting threads, the end of the tap would have hit the center shaft that the lower wheel rides on. The process would have involved removing both the wheel and the shaft to get enough clearance for the tap to cut the threads. The other option was to locate and buy a bottoming tap and a matching screw and lock nut. Centering a bottoming tap by hand in a not round hole on a round object didn't seem like a fun way to fix a new saw. The other issue was that with the handle installed on the tap, it has a T shape that would prevent full rotation that close to the saw body. I would have to use a wrench to turn it. Using a wrench to turn the tap makes the bottoming tap option even more difficult.

Both Woodcraft and Rikon were great about the whole process. If this fix sounds like something that you'de like to try and you live in or near Maryland, I know a WC that has a discounted 10-340 for sale. PM me for the store info. They have to pay the freight back to Rikon, and would rather just sell the saw at a discount. It was still there last weekend.

The new saw is perfect. Worth every penny. I did have to adjust the lower wheel pitch a little to get the blade tracking just right, so I was glad that I made the exchange.

Michael

John Towns
12-22-2005, 9:35 PM
Michael Adelong:
"If this fix sounds like something that you'de like to try and you live in or near Maryland, I know a WC that has a discounted 10-340 for sale. PM me for the store info. They have to pay the freight back to Rikon, and would rather just sell the saw at a discount. It was still there last weekend."

It could be that that is the exact saw I just bought, if you are refering to the wc store in Springfield, VA. I traveled down there from Westminster, MD last night to pick it up.

John Towns

Jerry Clark
12-23-2005, 9:33 AM
Rikon tech service is great-- I sent a Email reguarding the difficult operating switch on my 14 inch band saw and they responded within hours-and are sending me a new switch right away!:D

Michael Adelong
12-23-2005, 10:30 AM
John, I was dealing with the Towson store (I hope I didn't violate TOS here...). Woodbridge is about 85 miles south. Did you have them call around to other stores looking for one? They may have transferred it.

I agree 100% Jerry. They were great to work with. I spoke with Rod. Nice guy. How hard was that switch to operate? Mine just feels like a new switch. A little tight, but not too much.

Michael

John Towns
12-23-2005, 9:04 PM
Michael,

I stopped in the Towson store earlier when I was just shopping. At that time, they did not have one. When I called they told me they did not and could not get one. Gee, Towson is a heck of a lot closer that Springfield. In any case, I have it. Getting the garage wired tommorrow, I hope.

Thank you David for the information of the fence. I think the manual that Rikon put out is adequate at best. I would hope that their new model will have a more 'enriched' manual.

John

Brian King
12-23-2005, 9:19 PM
Hello, is the bansaw made in Germany or China? On their website it says their tolls are made in both places.
Thanks,
Brian