PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Brand of Router Bits?

Pat Marinari
09-20-2019, 12:42 PM
I’ve been disappointed lately with the results I’m getting when routing, mostly tearout in situations when I least expect it. I realized that many of my bits are more than 25 years old, purchased when I first started woodworking and were probably bargain bits. I think it might be time to buy some new bits and wonder what input you all might have, especially if you favor any particular brand.

Thanks for your input.

Jon Grider
09-20-2019, 12:50 PM
I get good results with Whiteside. Good cuts and more durable than the red kind ime.

brent stanley
09-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Whiteside and CMT for me.

B

jack duren
09-20-2019, 1:39 PM
I just buy Amana. No need to try other brands....

lowell holmes
09-20-2019, 1:48 PM
Check these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=home+depot+router+bits&oq=home+depot+router+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.13501j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Router-bits-Power-tool-accessories-Tools/4294607815?cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-tools-_-B_TOL_215_Power+Tools_Exact-_-lowes+router+bits-_-0-_-0&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ZHsBRA6EiwA7hw_sYV1c_4i23oNnQ9321iq 4gzv1PUU2dprLx0EAgfmAtAn37ZX1-bN3xoC10YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Ryobi bits are less expensive and I find them to be good.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2019, 1:49 PM
I am a fan of MLCS Katana series router bits. They are a little more expensive but I have not been disappointed with one yet.

Mike Cutler
09-20-2019, 2:10 PM
Another vote for Whiteside and Amana. I have a Freud cabinet set, and it's very nice also. Not cheap by any means.

I have seen that some manufacturers are now making insert head router bits, as with shapers. That would be something to look into,if you're going to invest in router bits on a wider scale.

Stephen Rosenthal
09-20-2019, 2:58 PM
Whiteside and Amana.

Erich Elfeldt
09-20-2019, 3:50 PM
Another vote for Whiteside and Amana

Doug Dawson
09-20-2019, 3:54 PM
Another vote for Whiteside and Amana

Whiteside. I've never found anything better, that's my final resting place.

Stan Calow
09-20-2019, 3:57 PM
I use Whiteside and Amana for all the common ones I regularly use (straight, spiral, roundovers, coves, etc.) For things that might be one-time, unusual profile, or for specialty uses, I like to shop Eagle America.

Lisa Starr
09-20-2019, 4:23 PM
Whiteside all the way. I only deviate when I need something they don't offer. (is there any?)

Lee Schierer
09-20-2019, 4:46 PM
I like the cut quality and price of Freud router bits. I've yet to have any tear out with their quad cut bits.

Pat Marinari
09-20-2019, 4:52 PM
It looks like Whiteside & Amanda are the favorites.
Thanks for the input.

Bill Space
09-20-2019, 6:29 PM
I am a fan of MLCS Katana series router bits. They are a little more expensive but I have not been disappointed with one yet.

I will second Ken’s opinion.

Hard to to beat free shipping on even one bit. Not a commercial user here, but the OP sounds like a home shop user as well.

Compare prices plus delivery. My guess is it is hard to beat MLCS for product in your hand...but I have not compared prices since the MLCS bits fill my needs.

Tom M King
09-20-2019, 6:45 PM
Amana is a close second behind Whiteside for me too. Back in the mid '70's, a salesman gave me a new brand of bit to try. He was trying to get local building suppliers to start selling their router bits. Before that, all I knew were things like Craftsman, Porter-Cable, and such. This was some new company in furniture making land part of North Carolina. That bit was a game changer. Since then, I always buy Whiteside as my first choice. They are a pleasure to deal with too.

I used to get custom bits made by them. A few years ago, I sent Todd a mold of a sample of old window sash molding profile that I needed to copy, with my method of six custom router bits. He sent me an email telling me that they no longer make one offs, but only do orders of six each. That was disappointing to hear, but he went on to say that he had sent the mold to another North Carolina company that did make one offs. Still very impressive to deal with.

Whiteside also makes the high end line for Eagle America. I called Whiteside about a bit I wanted, but they didn't have it in their line. The girl on the phone told me that they made one very similar to what I was wanting for Eagle America. Sure enough, it worked fine.

David Powell
09-20-2019, 8:41 PM
Started out with Freud bits years ago, but now exclusively use Whiteside.

Jim Becker
09-20-2019, 9:52 PM
For quality, my current favorite is Amana, especially for their insert cutters and some other things. Whiteside gets my business for .25" compression bits. A lot of the rest I purchase are either USA-made spiral cutters from EBay and Amazon with some being Yonoko from Amazon which is from off-shore. A few specialty things come from PreciseBits and EBAY. (tiny things) My "legacy" bits are a combination of Whiteside, Jessada, Infinity, Lee Valley and some other odd-ball stuff. In full disclosure, most of my bit usage at this point is on the CNC with profile work on the router table and a limited about of hand-held routing.

glenn bradley
09-20-2019, 10:25 PM
Whiteside, Amanda, Freud.

Clint Baxter
09-20-2019, 10:27 PM
I tend to use Whiteside & Amana as well. I use a lot of 8mm shank bits and have had good luck with Festool bits for those though pricey. I’ve also been investing in quite a few of the insert bits as well. It’s nice to be able to change out just the insert when the bit is getting dull.

Clint

Art Mann
09-21-2019, 8:15 AM
I use some Freud because I can get them locally but my favorite is Whiteside. I use a CNC router and wear out a lot of bits. I have found that Whiteside lasts longer than Freud and waaaay longer than off brands.

Zachary Hoyt
09-21-2019, 8:47 AM
Whiteside for me too, I get them on eBay usually.

brent stanley
09-21-2019, 9:05 AM
I have a number of Whiteside and they're great, but I wonder if CMT is less popular in the states for some reason? Mine have been as good as my Whiteside and it's sometimes nice to have a second option.

B

Curt Harms
09-21-2019, 9:12 AM
I use some Freud because I can get them locally but my favorite is Whiteside. I use a CNC router and wear out a lot of bits. I have found that Whiteside lasts longer than Freud and waaaay longer than off brands.

This brings up another point. For me, it depends on how frequently I expect to use the bit. Bits that I use frequently I buy name brands as mentioned above. For once in a great while bits, MLCS ain't bad and I get them in one or two days with free shipping. Next time I have a panel raising job on the docket I'm going to get a Freud Quadra Cut panel raiser or perhaps a door set that makes tenons as long as I'd like. Both Freud exclusives AFAIK.

jack duren
09-21-2019, 9:34 AM
I had trouble with the Freud bits and stopped using them... I bought a Freud and Amana raised panel cutter. Used both till they would longer cut reasonably. The Amana cut almost twice as many. The Amana cost a few dollars more but is made it up on shop time and sharpening cost...

Erik Loza
09-21-2019, 10:46 AM
I get good results with Whiteside...

+1 for Whiteside

Erik

Osvaldo Cristo
09-22-2019, 2:56 PM
I have several MLCS (non-Katana) and several German made carbide tipped bits I purchased almost 30 years ago and staying strong and sharp (although I am not a heavy user). I also have some newer Freud and Whiteside, I like both brands but I am impressed with the quality from Whiteside solid carbide bits.

I have just a few "generic" bits I used occasionally and a couple of them had its cabide partially broken or dented. I avoid those "bargain and generic" bit when it is possible.

Stan Calow
09-22-2019, 3:04 PM
. . . Whiteside also makes the high end line for Eagle America . . ..

Thanks Tom, I always suspected as much. I remember seeing one of those shows on DIY network where they visited an unidentified router bit factory, and I think they said that the place made bits for several different brands, with different colored paint.

Frederick Skelly
09-22-2019, 4:48 PM
I like the cut quality and price of Freud router bits. I've yet to have any tear out with their quad cut bits.

Another vote for the Freud Quadricuts. ZERO tear out. Truly amazing.

Brian Holcombe
09-22-2019, 5:48 PM
CMT, Amana and Whiteside.

Gene Takae
09-23-2019, 12:51 AM
Whiteside. High quality bits made in America by a family owned business. Very nice people as well.

Chris Schoenthal
09-23-2019, 11:13 AM
I've started seeing some YouTube makers using bits from Bits & Bits (https://bitsbits.com/). They take Whiteside bits and add a special coating to them.
According to their website "These tools are coated with a proprietary high performance *Astra coating* that allows higher speed & feed rates as well as 2x the extended tool life & increased lubricity in abrasive material"

Ben Rivel
09-23-2019, 12:21 PM
Whiteside is all I own. Love em.

Bill Lyman
09-23-2019, 3:59 PM
It looks like Whiteside & Amanda are the favorites.
Thanks for the input.

Not me. I guess I am the exception to the rule. After using Whiteside, I became a dedicated Freud user. I also have a collection of their table saw blades.

lowell holmes
09-23-2019, 4:08 PM
Actually, these are decent bits. If I was doing production work, I might go with something more.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Shank-Carbide-Router-Bit-Set-15-Piece-A25R151/205626187

johnny means
09-23-2019, 6:35 PM
I try to stick with Amana for all my tooling.

Alan Lightstone
09-24-2019, 7:24 PM
Whiteside, Amana, and Infinity Tools (a local company so I can drive 30 min to pick them up, plus have been high quality).

Jim Dwight
09-24-2019, 7:36 PM
Not sure it's needed but I will offer my 2 cents worth. For most bits, MLCS is plenty good enough for me and are a good buy. But I was disappointed the first time I tried a cheaper dovetail bit. My jig needs a 1/4 shank bit due to the required template guide size and the cheaper bit, I don't think it was a MLCS, failed at the neck down before the carbide. So now I buy better bits for this, latest is CMT. I wouldn't worry about a Freud or Whiteside. So for me, it depends on the bit. Things I think might require really good metalurgency/heat treatment I go with brands I think are better. For most bits, MLCS.

Mark Hennebury
09-24-2019, 8:22 PM
The finest router bit that i ever used was made by Kanefusa. (That was 25 or more years ago)

The problem was, i could find no one that could or would sharpen them to the same level of the original.

Jim Becker
09-24-2019, 8:26 PM
Mark, it's a lot easier to get sharpening these days because of how the CNC movement has affected the tooling market. Companies like Vortex and Connecticut Saw are easily accessible, for example. As I wear something out, I put in in a "holding bin" and when I have a reasonable number, I plan on sending them in for sharpening...at least the expensive ones. For many of the typical spiral cutters I buy now, they have become almost commodity, get purchased in multiples and retired as a cost of doing work.

Mark Hennebury
09-24-2019, 8:40 PM
Hi Jim,

I am planning of getting back to some woodworking soon, so i will be looking to see whats available at this time. The Kanefusa was the first true micrograin carbide, mirror finish bit that i had seen and used, and it blew me away. That will be my yardstick for new tooling. It will be interesting to get back into it and see what has changed.

Mark Hennebury
09-24-2019, 11:40 PM
Jim, the problem was not a lack of ability but a lack of demand.

I approached many router companies about making me custom router bits, discussed materials, sharpening and design.
I found no one that could provide the sharpening or the quality of carbide or even make true custom bits. What they actually call custom is variations in size of their standard designs and process.

They were able to make them in Japan. They had the equipment and the materials, and most importantly...the demand.

I had a conversation with the owner of one sharpening shop; after showing him the router bit and being told that he could not do the same quality; I asked him to explain why not.
He said that he had the best grinders from Germany, and that they were capable of that quality of finish but, it would require two operations, a "rough" grind and a fine hone. it would require two wheels, a very expensive micron honing wheel and twice the amount of time. And that in 15 years in business, no one else had every requested it. All of his customers were happy with the standard sharpening.

It was like a bullet to the brain. A window to understanding, to realizing that there was a whole world of "better" out there yet to be discovered. That we were being sold only what we accepted, no more! There was more, lots more, you just had to look and question and ask and push to find it.

I decided to sharpen my own tools, i bought a grinder, did some research, found that i needed a better grinder, got a better one, ( A 2000lb Hembrug) then went searching for superfine grinding wheels; I had rep from a Swiss company come to my shop to show me the wheels. I wasn't impressed and asked if they had any superfine wheels.... and guess what he said.............sure we make them, but we only sell them in Europe!

I had a chat with a sales rep for a machinery sales company after he returned from a big European machinery show, he said that they had great new technology at the show, but nothing he could sell in North America.
It became quite clear to me that North America was years, maybe decades behind the current best technology available in the world.
It will be interesting to start poking around and seeing if things have changed.

Tom M King
09-25-2019, 10:19 PM
Whiteside has a very good sharpening service, with quick turnaround. It probably helps being in the same state, but I get them back four days after I ship them out with regular shipping. They used to make custom bits one-off for me, but these days they only make multiples of six each. They sent my last order down the road to Hickory Saw & Tool, who does make singles. They may not be the fanciest in the world, but the sash I make, to be exact matches to old ones, are finished off the bits in one pass.

joseph f merz
09-26-2019, 12:28 AM
OP asked about bits relative to tearout .Mostly [my thinking] tearout is about set-up or how you use it .,not so much the bit . I do not believe my best bits can save me from tearout .Some woods just splinter . Not to say bit quality is not important.

Dwayne Johre
04-25-2022, 7:46 PM
Hi Erik. This is off the topic & I am brand new to SMC, as in a newborn of about 2 days. Not sure of the proper way to ask but I noticed you were with both SCM & Felder. I was just wondering if I could pick your brain on the A3 41. I just bought 1 about 2 months ago and surprised of the warps in the beds, "all 3 actually". anywhere from .002" to .018" concave warps. Is that normal as the supplier says it is within specs. I am from Lloydminster Saskatchewan so it was purchased from a Canadian supplier. Just curious of your thoughts. I hope this isn't out of line. Thanks Dwayne.

Ray Newman
04-25-2022, 8:01 PM
Along with Whitesded and Amana, I run the non-import Eagle-America bits.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-25-2022, 8:29 PM
I'm impressed with the Yonico bits available at Amazon.
1/3 the price.
Lots of uncommon profiles.

Howard Rosenberg
04-25-2022, 8:44 PM
Lee Valley all the way for me.

George Yetka
04-26-2022, 7:20 AM
Whiteside on routers and table. CNC has been using Amana, I really like whiteside and have had no problems since I bought my first 8 years ago. but they dont offer as many options for cnc bits so I switched to amana for them

Alex Zeller
04-26-2022, 11:48 AM
Pat, since you are in PA I would use Tools Today. They have a 10% off for first time buyers but the code always works so you can get 10% off all the time. If you order more than $50 worth it's free shipping. Everything I order gets to my house in 2 days so the free shipping isn't slow shipping. Because of this I'm almost exclusively Amana now. No connection to the company, just no complaints about their service. If they also sold Whiteside or CMT I would most likely be choosing between the 3 brands.

I have bought some MLCS bits and they are fine for bits that I don't think I'm going to be using a lot. But the last few times I ordered they screwed up the order. Nothing worse that planning on doing something on the weekend only to find out the bits you ordered the Monday before are wrong when they show up on Friday. So I'm waiting for post COVID to buy from them again in hopes that they can sort out their warehouse issues.

Jim Becker
04-26-2022, 3:08 PM
I've bought a lot of Amana tooling via ToolsToday and agree with Alex that they are a good source for that brand.

George Yetka
04-26-2022, 3:52 PM
I've bought a lot of Amana tooling via ToolsToday and agree with Alex that they are a good source for that brand.

Also If you didnt notice you accrue points for cash back. I didnt notice until there was enough for a free $50 bit

Jim Becker
04-26-2022, 7:33 PM
Also If you didnt notice you accrue points for cash back. I didnt notice until there was enough for a free $50 bit
Yup. True dat! I use Amana and Whiteside for the "important" tooling where I want the best and/or want insert type cutters. But I'll be honest that when I need simple endmills, I buy generics and for simple form tools that don't get used a lot, it's Yonico.