PDA

View Full Version : Touchy Feely Thing

john whittaker
12-15-2005, 4:34 PM
As I get deeper and deeper into this woodworking hobby I have acquired several tools and machines this past year. I was struck with one common problem found while comparing woodworking machines, specifically a table saw.
Seems like folks read reviews and ask questions on forums like SMC as part of their decision making. It's a big help, but I always thought that going to a local retailer and actually touching & feeling the equipment would be the final step so I could make a reasonable choice. But as I went from store to store to look at table saws, not one was set up properly. Not even close. Stuck hand wheels, loose rails, fences too tight or loose, mis-fitting mobile bases, mis-aligned blades (not for cutting, I'm talking not able to raise it through the throat because it was so far off) Wonder why retailers don't take the time to set up their display equipment better or "tighten" it periodically as customers fiddle with everything? I'm not talking BORG but local woodworking stores.

I came to the conclusion that the advice from local friends and friends on SMC is a very good way to make my buying decisions. Ordering equipment from on-line stores is something I did not like at first, but so far all my on-line orders have been just fine. (Wilke & Grizzly) I still like to use my local stores when practical but the touchy feely thing is not help when the equipment is assembled wrong.

Travis Porter
12-15-2005, 4:39 PM
Won't argue with you as you don't see them set up much, but it is nice to see how well or badly stuff is made in person at times. It may not be set up right, but seeing a 26 guage piece of steel where it really should be a 10 guage piece of steel is not identifiable in a picture. To your point, getting opinions on things from others does make it a whole lot easier to swallow sight unseen.

Scott Loven
12-15-2005, 4:44 PM
I would need to go 80+ miles to see anything in person at a real woodworking store, or even a big box store. I do most of my shopping on line.
Scott