PDA

View Full Version : 3D Planning Software

Bennie Dempsey
09-16-2019, 6:33 PM
Hey all! I would like to start planning out my projects before I begin them, as I've heard that's a good habit to have. I can find a modeling program online pretty easily, but I wanted to see what you guys use. I am awful at hand drafting so paper and pencil isn't my go-to for personal projects. Free is recommended, but if something has a price, usually there's a good reason. Thanks guys!

David Prochniak
09-16-2019, 6:45 PM
I use Solid works because I used to use it at work. I find it much easier to use than ProE, and quite powerful. SketchUp seemed pretty basic to me and less intuitive the couple times I tried to use it.

Jim Becker
09-16-2019, 7:34 PM
While there is a learning curve to any 3D capable software, SketchUp is probably the most prevalent among woodworkers because it's available for free (non-commercial) and pretty darn capable with a broad support community. There are lots and lots of threads about this here at SMC... ;)

Will Blick
09-16-2019, 8:55 PM
I am just starting CAD as well...
I used CAD 20+ years ago, but not since.. so kinda a newb.
I did a lot of research on this...
for me, I settled on Fusion 360 by AutoCad, it is also free for those who meet the requirements. If u are a hobbiest, u meet the requirement.
For me, Parametric modeling was a MUST. Sketchup is not parametric. The benefit of parametric is, you build models based on part sizes. The part sizes can be expressed as a function of other part sizes. For a simple example, if you are building a bookcase, and you decide it should be one foot taller, you simply stretch the bookcase up 1ft. All the dimensions of the associated parts, such as back panel, sides, moldings, etc, all change accordingly. Without a parametrics, you often have to re build from scratch. A slightly more complex example, you design a desk 24x48".. but then, you decide it should be 30 x 60". With parametrics, simply stretch it in both planes, and it will re dimension and re size all parts on your cut list. You decide the associations between the parts when you design.

So far, I think Fusion 360 is relatively intuitive, but it is a very complex program, so its quite intense. If you want just a basic CAD program, this is prob. a larger learning curve than most would be willing to swallow. If u are mechanical, good with numbers, good with building formulas (similar to spreadsheet formulas) then its not too bad. But, expect a good 40hrs IMO to have a good understanding of the software so u can start designing without too many interuptions with learning.

Fusion 360 has a decent amount of tutorials both free and pay. Choose wisely, as the investment in time towards the learning curve is a lot to swallow for most non CAD users. ONce u learn the program, the liklihood of switching becomes less n less....

Of course, the other programs mentioned are all superb software, prob. overkill for a newb at CAD. There is also Auto Cad Inventor which is the next step up for woodworking which becomes expensive, IRRC $2k+. I did not want to invest $$ in to software, as maybe I wont like it and have to change software in due time, so Fusion 360 solved all those issues.

Also cosider if you ever will use CNC machines, if so, be sure your software is CAM friendly. Fusion 360 is. I was suprised how many great CAD programs were out there, at all different price points, some as low as $100, others up to $5k. Many have annual license fees to keep the software updated. IIRC, I think sketchup SHOP now has an annual fee of $120.

HOpefully other more experience users will respond.

Matt Day
09-16-2019, 9:52 PM
Sketchup. .....

Tim Janssen
09-16-2019, 10:10 PM
I use SketchUp Make, 2017, It's free.

Tim

Jon Nuckles
09-16-2019, 10:10 PM
The only one I have used is Sketchup, and I am using Sketchup Make 2017. It took me a while to learn how to use it well enough that using it was efficient, and if I don't use it frequently enough, I tend to forget the shortcuts. I cannot draw, though, so it is nice to be able to produce a model that looks close to the real thing with Sketchup.

I like it best for being able to make quick design changes and see what they will look like. I have done joinery as part of the model, but mostly because it is kind of fun to play with. Otherwise, that sort of thing is probably more time to model than it is worth for an experienced woodworker. Just my opinion.

My biggest complaint is that every time Windows does an update my version of Sketchup is unusable for a few weeks until the Sketchup programmers catch up with the changes. Most times, the select function in Sketchup takes minutes to react to a click, which makes many operations virtually impossible. Then again, it's free!

Jim Barstow
09-17-2019, 1:45 AM
I used sketchup for years and it was fine for simple things. For more complex things, I found that I spent more time working around glitches, bugs, and inconsistencies than actual drawing. When I got a 3d printer, I learned Fusion 360 and I've never looked back. Although it is more complex than sketchup, it actually works.

Matt Day
09-17-2019, 8:20 AM
FWIW, I’ve never had bugs, glitches, or inconsistencies for furniture drawings.

Jim Becker
09-17-2019, 9:09 AM
I was going to mention Fusion 360 in my first response. It's a great program, especially if one also has aspirations for moving to CNC, etc. SketchUP Make, however, has an extremely robust support community including around woodworking and has been around a bit longer. Autodesk is no slouch, however, and Fusion 360 is gaining a lot of users these days because of the availability of licensing to individuals at no cost (at least so far) and the level of complexity that once can get to including support for CNC as I mentioned. SketchUp can go a long way, too, but some more advanced things require the fee-based "professional" version. Most woodworkers can get what they need from the free SketchUp Make 2017 product (or the cloud based implementation like Fusion 360 is) without spending money.

Traditional CAD still has a place, but where these newer applications shine is that you can render them to better visualize the end result. That's honestly killer...no nice wood is harmed while you work out the details of what you want a project to be in the end.

Will Blick
09-17-2019, 9:55 AM
Jim, I like how you wrote Fusion 360 "is free for now" ;)
I too wonder if the plan at AutoCad is to hook new users, than conver them into paying users. As once someone invest in the learning curve, its hard to not continue with the same software. Its the path of least resistance. Seems "free" wont last forever...then u have to wonder, how much per year? $500? This is a gamble, and its good that you shined a light on it. I should have mentioned this, as I am skeptical on this issue as well.

As for Sketchup, I dont see "MAKE", as on offering on the SU web site, I think it was converted to SHOP. The WW version is SHOP, and its $119 per year. Seems all these companies keep shifting products around, trying to find a profitable business model. Again, I am quite surprised how crowded the CAD field is.

AGreed on rendering, to visualize the finished product. 3D Cad is sooo powerful, and if the learning curve was not so steep, nearly everyone would use it. The ability to view a piece at different orientations, change the wood types to find what looks best, just a dream. Like others, my end goal, is to fully design my work, perfect it in CAD, and when I hit the shop, focus on making the parts to spec. For me, too many mistakes when designs are half baked.

Another poster mentioned something I have noticed already. If you dont keep using the software, you start forgetting bits n pieces, constantly leaving you in learn mode, vs. design mode. Yes, its frustrating, but hoping after a year or two, it will stick, even when not using the software daily.

I am curious if other ww appreciate the value of parametrics?

Jim Becker
09-17-2019, 9:57 AM
https://help.sketchup.com/en/downloading-older-versions

Make 2017 is still available for download.

I will add that while "free" is nice...folks have got to start embracing the idea that supporting something has a cost and it's not unreasonable for any company offering software to expect to get paid. "Free" right now is merely a gift and any expectation that something will remain free forever is unrealistic.

John McKissick
09-17-2019, 10:44 AM
I use CREO (Pro/E) because that's on my work computer. Never had the gumption to learn sketchup. I do have it and use it for it's wide variety of existing models. In my attached image are quite a few imported models from sketchup

Mark Daily
09-17-2019, 12:10 PM
I have been using Sketchlist 3D for awhile now and really like it. It was developed by a woodworker for woodworkers so it excels at cabinetry, tables, etc. They just introduced a cabinet wizard that will allow you to “stretch” or “shrink” a cabinet and the wizard automatically updates the dimensions of all affected parts.

There is a 30 day free trial. Afterwards it is $150 for the “homeowner” version and $750 for the pro version. (I use the homeowner version). I think it is well worth it.

I found it easier to use than Sketchup.

https://sketchlist.com/

Tony Latham
09-17-2019, 12:57 PM
I've been using Sketchup Free for about nine months and wonder how I managed without it.

T

Carl Beckett
09-17-2019, 1:14 PM
If you havent already, it is worth checking out 'OnShape' (www.onshape.com (http://www.onshape.com))

Essentially it is the same founders that started Pro-E who then left and founded Solid Works and now launching a new company OnShape. Key to its features is that it is web based, and is setup as community 'sharing' philosophy. The basic CAD function is parametric and handles pretty much anything the others do.

It will not surprise me in the least if they end up eating the SolidWorks market share, same as SolidWorks ate ProE

Free for educational use (and maybe hobbiests). Personally I like it better than Fusion, and feel it is quite similar to SolidWorks. Sketchup I just never put the time in coming up the learning curve on with these other tools available.

John McKissick
09-17-2019, 5:27 PM
"I am curious if other ww appreciate the value of parametrics?"
I do since I use it all the time in my "day job"

Will Blick
09-17-2019, 5:45 PM
"I am curious if other ww appreciate the value of parametrics?"
I do since I use it all the time in my "day job"

I never noticed much buzz about parametric component of CAD for ww. Which surprised me, as I never designed anything right the first time. I also like to tweak designs till they appeal to me. Without parametrics, I would not tweak the design if I had to constantly re draw. I found the method to make a design parametric was not overly complex, specially considering its benefit. You're lucky, your day job funds your CAD education ;)

I did check out OnShape before I started, and it was my 2nd choice, maybe I made the wrong choice. ;(

Bennie Dempsey
09-17-2019, 8:26 PM
It looks like Sketchup may be the most recommended here. I'll look around at the other tools and see what's easiest to get into and understand. You guys are great, thanks so much for the help!

andrew whicker
09-18-2019, 3:26 PM
I used Autocad 2D a ton at work. I found SketchUp to think very strangely. I went with Fusion 360. Both software seem to suffer from the same thing: they are always developing them. The standards like Solidworks, Autocad Inventor, etc are already pretty well developed. Any software that you get to use for 'free' comes with the catch that it is and will be under constant revision.

Generally speaking, you'll find something you don't like / hard to use. You'll google it and find out that the company knows about it and will fix it sometime in the future. Where as the standard 'pay' software already had that feature, etc.

ChrisA Edwards
09-18-2019, 4:13 PM
I've tried SketchUp on my MacBook laptop and really struggle with it. I think the lack of a mouse with buttons seems to make it hard to use in this mode.

I'm almost to the point where I may buy another windows based desktop purely for this functionality.

At present, I still go back to my old drawing board with squares, etc. and do multiple drawings in pencil.

I'm an old software developer, so you would think I could figure this stuff out.

Mike Nolan
09-18-2019, 5:47 PM
A mouse with buttons for your MacBook laptop is cheap.

ChrisA Edwards
09-18-2019, 8:03 PM
A mouse with buttons for your MacBook laptop is cheap.
Good idea, ordered one.

Bob Hinden
09-18-2019, 8:54 PM
I have been using SketchUp Make 2017 for a while, I can usually get it to do what I want. I hope to learn Fusion 360 at some point, but haven't yet.

Recently I need to design a part to be machined out of aluminum, and the shop I contacted wanted a DXF format file. I got a copy of QCAD. I watched a few videos and learned enough to do what I wanted. It is a 2D CAD program. There is both a free and paid version. I got the latter as it was only $38. See https://qcad.org/en/ for more info. Worked pretty well and wan't too difficult to learn.

Here is picture of the resulting part.

Jim Becker
09-19-2019, 9:05 AM
I've tried SketchUp on my MacBook laptop and really struggle with it. I think the lack of a mouse with buttons seems to make it hard to use in this mode.

Do you have right click turned on for your Magic Mouse? I've not found any need for "buttons" since I switched to MacOS back in 2010.

Tony Latham
09-19-2019, 11:49 AM

I'm almost to the point where I may buy another windows based desktop purely for this functionality.

At present, I still go back to my old drawing board with squares, etc. and do multiple drawings in pencil.

I'm an old software developer, so you would think I could figure this stuff out.

And that's the reason I bought a cheap wireless mouse for my Mac. Works great.

It's a whopping $10 on Amazon right now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013WC0P2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tim M Tuttle
09-19-2019, 12:31 PM
I started using Sketchup and just didnt like it. In my experience, Sketchup behaves differently based on the situation which drives me crazy. I switched to Fusion 360 probably a year ago and I like it a lot. It does have a higher learning curve but once you get there it's a lot easier to use than Sketchup IMO. My big complaint with Fusion is the plan functionality. You can only dimension in 2D. Overall, the plan functionality is pretty limited. I've toyed with exporting from Fusion to AutoCad for making plans but that hasn't gone too well so far. Fusion's licensing is also awesome.

Will Blick
09-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Great info Tim...
can u please elaborate on...

> Overall, the plan functionality is pretty limited.

a few examples would be really helpful... I have not used other software to know its shortcomings.. thx

ChrisA Edwards
09-19-2019, 9:38 PM
Found some good SketchUp tutorial videos from 'Rock-n H Woodshop'. He describes every keystroke and mouse click, draws a simple bench with rabbits, dados and dovetails and takes it all the way to stock layout and cut list.

I think I can finally get a grasp on this program, especially when my mouse arrives tomorrow,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyyJCW6L_rE

Grant Wilkinson
09-20-2019, 8:55 AM
I'd like to try fusion360, but I just went on their site and the only free version seems to be a one-year subscription for home users. Do those of you on here who are using it have a an older version that is free forever? I am a home/hobbyist user.

Jim Becker
09-20-2019, 9:00 AM
That's how it works Grant

Tim M Tuttle
09-20-2019, 9:47 AM
I'd like to try fusion360, but I just went on their site and the only free version seems to be a one-year subscription for home users. Do those of you on here who are using it have a an older version that is free forever? I am a home/hobbyist user.

That's the version you want. It's for hobbyists and companies with less than $100k in revenue. You have to renew it each year.

Tim M Tuttle
09-20-2019, 9:56 AM
Great info Tim...
can u please elaborate on...

> Overall, the plan functionality is pretty limited.

a few examples would be really helpful... I have not used other software to know its shortcomings.. thx

You create the model and then you create drawings which the model is placed into. You can only dimension 2d models. The dimensioning overall is fairly limited. You have very little control on the appearance/fit of dimensions. Everything is a single lineweight. If you're just using this for your own plans it's probably fine but I produce plans for resell. It's just not as robust as Autocad in the plan department (not that it ever will be) or even Sketchup for that matter. It's still a fairly new program though and they have made improvements but plans probably arent high on their list of features they'd like to address.

andrew whicker
09-20-2019, 11:10 AM
I agree w/ Tim. Autocad 2D is great for making work that goes to vendors. Fusion 360 is not. It's the only thing I wish I had the paid version of SketchUp for, but man switching my ten years of Autocad brain off is way hard to do.

Will Blick
09-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Thx Tim, very interesting...
So F360 can only dimension in 2d, and has limited dimensioning tools.
I can see how that is very limiting if you are re selling drawings, u are trying to present your work to a wide audience.

I am curious of your thoughts ...
Since F360 is owned by Autocad, they surely have the tools to expand F360s tools such as dimensioning, its not like they have to reinvent the wheel. Do you think they will do this in the future?

What is the purpose of F360? It seems like a different, but yet reduced versoin of the Autocad product line, which I assume has consistency of workflow and UI throughout the product line. Why not just reduce the amount of features of AutoCad to offer the lower priced versions? It appears that is what what F360 is for anyway? If they did just reduce the feature set of Autocad on the lower priced versions, then, upgrading will reduce the learning curve for users, vs. jumping into a different product, different UI, different toolset, workflow, etc. , right?

I am starting to suspect F360 was an acquisition by AutoCad, as an attempt to capture the lower end of the market?

andrew whicker
09-20-2019, 1:01 PM
I did manage to create this dwg below for a vendor. It was interesting to make, but I did get it done. I forget why I don't have tolerances on the dwg.

andrew whicker
09-20-2019, 1:11 PM
Will,

I've had the same thoughts. I thought I kept the URL, but I guess not. There is a flowchart that shows all the upgrades they are planning to do with the software. It is quite extensive. I think that Fusion 360 is maybe just a totally different idea.. it's all online. It's easy to share (kind of like Google Drive). It is very strange to see a company that excels at making a drawing software package have a hard time with a drawing software package.

I'm not 100% sure what it is, but I'm sure they want to compete with SketchUp and others. The license for AutoCad is expensive. They already do have a lite package. It's still expensive. Anyway, my plan is to make enough money that I can start using the real software. : )

Will Blick
09-20-2019, 1:28 PM
I guess if F360 gets too many features
they will chip into their sales of AutoCad products, which would be sensless.

Agreed on the sharing issue with F360, thats the future of nearly all software today. OnShape is the same.

My guess is, AutoCad feels the pressure of the lower priced competitors whose software continues to get more powerful every year. Like all software, over time, the products become way more powerful and feature rich, and prices fall...such as spreadsheets. More users create more reveneue, the lower the price, the more users. This is prob. happening in CAD now, a result of an ultra competitive market.

Its hard to analyze differences in software that you dont know a lot about to start with. Hence the value of getting insights from experienced users who have used many programs.
I see CAD from Corel and Alibre that seem to be very feature rich, but yet, get very little traction in the market vs. the big players. The field is probably due for a big shake out soon.

David L Morse
09-20-2019, 1:44 PM
...You can only dimension 2d models...

I don't understand what that means and I'm pretty familiar with drafting practices. Do you have an example you can show of what you mean by 3D dimensioning?

Tim M Tuttle
09-20-2019, 2:39 PM
Thx Tim, very interesting...
So F360 can only dimension in 2d, and has limited dimensioning tools.
I can see how that is very limiting if you are re selling drawings, u are trying to present your work to a wide audience.

I am curious of your thoughts ...
Since F360 is owned by Autocad, they surely have the tools to expand F360s tools such as dimensioning, its not like they have to reinvent the wheel. Do you think they will do this in the future?

What is the purpose of F360? It seems like a different, but yet reduced versoin of the Autocad product line, which I assume has consistency of workflow and UI throughout the product line. Why not just reduce the amount of features of AutoCad to offer the lower priced versions? It appears that is what what F360 is for anyway? If they did just reduce the feature set of Autocad on the lower priced versions, then, upgrading will reduce the learning curve for users, vs. jumping into a different product, different UI, different toolset, workflow, etc. , right?

I am starting to suspect F360 was an acquisition by AutoCad, as an attempt to capture the lower end of the market?

Fusion is an original Autodesk product but it is geared heavily towards CAM. If anything, it's probably a lite version of Inventor. Plans are not what it was made for so I doubt making them as full featured as I would like is near the top of their list. They have to pick and choose what to work on and they'll judge that based on user feedback. Most of the Fusion threads I run across involve CAM.

They would never remove features from AutoCAD. That's one of their flagship products. And AutoCAD and Fusion are not really competitors. Two very different markets.

Tim M Tuttle
09-20-2019, 2:42 PM
I don't understand what that means and I'm pretty familiar with drafting practices. Do you have an example you can show of what you mean by 3D dimensioning?

Fusion only allows dimensioning of 2D views. Like this:

In Fusion, 3D is limited to notes and labels:

In Sketchup (and many other programs including AutoCAD), you can dimension 3D views which comes in very handy in woodworking plans IMO.

Tim M Tuttle
09-20-2019, 2:56 PM
I guess if F360 gets too many features
they will chip into their sales of AutoCad products, which would be sensless.

Agreed on the sharing issue with F360, thats the future of nearly all software today. OnShape is the same.

My guess is, AutoCad feels the pressure of the lower priced competitors whose software continues to get more powerful every year. Like all software, over time, the products become way more powerful and feature rich, and prices fall...such as spreadsheets. More users create more reveneue, the lower the price, the more users. This is prob. happening in CAD now, a result of an ultra competitive market.

Its hard to analyze differences in software that you dont know a lot about to start with. Hence the value of getting insights from experienced users who have used many programs.
I see CAD from Corel and Alibre that seem to be very feature rich, but yet, get very little traction in the market vs. the big players. The field is probably due for a big shake out soon.

AutoCAD was never intended to be a hobbyist application so programs like Sketchup and Fusion arent really a threat. While Sketchup is powerful, using it to create a working CD set would be foolish. Whatever the cost of AutoCAD (or Revit), you'd quickly spend that much many times over by trying to make changes in Sketchup.

I think AutoDesk created Fusion because it was a blank slate. The cores of AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor, etc, are old and they've had to evolve to the changing technology landscape. One of the really great things about Fusion is that it's a local application with data in the cloud. So if I change computers I dont have to worry about transferring settings or drawings. I just install Fusion and login and everything is right where I left it. It's really great when you work off of multiple machines. I think they are also using Fusion as a test run for this approach to licensing which absolutely blows away the licensing of any other paid app.

Will Blick
09-20-2019, 3:02 PM
Very interesting, thx Tim.

I knew F360 integrated CAM, but was not aware that was the products hallmark.

When u say, "plan", you do mean 2d drawings, right? just making sure.

Considering your experience in CAD, and knowing the needs of the hobbiest ww, i.e. a typical workflow, design a 3d model of what we want to build, render to see wood types, then when happy, break parts out and dimension in 2d for detailed cut list.... is there CAD programs better designed for this simple and limited workflow? (which is also acts like standard CAD, so we can also design an occasionaly metal part to have CNC'd, etc)
Or would you say F360 is as good as any for this workflow / basic tasks?

David L Morse
09-20-2019, 3:09 PM
In Sketchup (and many other programs including AutoCAD), you can dimension 3D views which comes in very handy in woodworking plans IMO.

Oh, I can see where that would be nice for plans you sell. I've never had a need for that so that's new to me. Thanks for your explanation.

Will Blick
09-20-2019, 6:05 PM
BTW, I was only dimensioning in 2d in F360
Kinda dissapointed its not avail in 3d.
IMO, a very useful feature
Maybe I did not make the right choice ;(

Jim Becker
09-20-2019, 6:17 PM
A lot of Fusion 360 users go for it because of the 3D design/modeling capability that ties directly into CNC and 3D Printing. It's really cost effective for that for hobbyists where they don't have the ability to afford products like SolidWorks and Rhino, etc. I don't really think it's intended for "traditional" dimensioned drawings, but I do agree that it would be nice if dimensions could flow with 3D/three axis drawings like they can in SketchUp.

Will Blick
09-20-2019, 6:24 PM
Tim, go to the last video on this forum, and play it.
This seems to allow 3d dimensions on a single View in 3d space in F360.
While you can not spin the object in 3d space with dimensioning shown, it appears you can show dimensioning at any given snap shot in 3d space. Would you agree with this?
thx in advance.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/how-do-i-add-dimensions-to-3d-views-of-models/td-p/8218063

David L Morse
09-20-2019, 7:00 PM
While you can not spin the object in 3d space with dimensioning shown, it appears you can show dimensioning at any given snap shot in 3d space. Would you agree with this?
thx in advance.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/how-do-i-add-dimensions-to-3d-views-of-models/td-p/8218063

So something like this?
https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=416509&d=1569020350

Tim M Tuttle
09-20-2019, 11:48 PM
thx in advance.

That's just showing dimensions in the model space. You cant add 3D dimensions in the drawings. And when dimensioning in model space you can only add so many dimensions before Fusion 360 wont let you add more because the Sketch becomes too constrained. That's a whole other topic though.

Tim M Tuttle
09-20-2019, 11:55 PM
Very interesting, thx Tim.

I knew F360 integrated CAM, but was not aware that was the products hallmark.

When u say, "plan", you do mean 2d drawings, right? just making sure.

Considering your experience in CAD, and knowing the needs of the hobbiest ww, i.e. a typical workflow, design a 3d model of what we want to build, render to see wood types, then when happy, break parts out and dimension in 2d for detailed cut list.... is there CAD programs better designed for this simple and limited workflow? (which is also acts like standard CAD, so we can also design an occasionaly metal part to have CNC'd, etc)
Or would you say F360 is as good as any for this workflow / basic tasks?

I don't know of anything that does all of this in a "simple" application. My guess is that Inventor has this capability but it's very expensive. I used to be a millwork engineer and we used AutoCAD. One of the guys I worked with tried really hard to get the company to switch to Inventor because of functionality such as this.

One thing I've learned in my professional life is that just isnt a single application that does everything you want it to do. I end up using a combination of Fusion, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign and sometimes SKetchUp to produce my plans. While AutoCAD could handle everything I need it's just too cumbersome in 3D mode. Someone more versed in AutoCAD 3D could probably make the type of plans I want as efficiently as I'd like but I am not at that level. And again, AutoCAD is really expensive.

Tim M Tuttle
09-20-2019, 11:57 PM
Oh, I can see where that would be nice for plans you sell. I've never had a need for that so that's new to me. Thanks for your explanation.

Views like that are really handy for people that didn't design the piece. I never use those views when I am building but they go into my plans. Well, I shouldn't say never, but very rarely.

richard b miller
09-21-2019, 11:05 AM
i use autocad for design, but its what i feel comfortable with as i've been drafting for 25+ years. as for modeling software, i have both inventor and fusion and am teaching myself both. sketchup seems too bulky for me and i don't care for it.

Bennie Dempsey
10-18-2019, 8:00 PM
So after much college-work, finals and the work season wrapping up, I finally made time to tinker with a 2 of these design softwares. I chose Fusion360 and Sketchup, and honestly I found Fusion360 as the obvious winner. I found it much easier to use and understand, plus the navigation is nicely compacted for all it's features. Sketchup on the otherhand was a bit different. Not sure if it was the 6 hours of Fusion360 withdraw but Sketchup seemed very difficult to navigate and perform simple procedures. I'm not sure if I was overlooking the navigation but I wouldnt find a quick and easy way to change the dimensions of objects and to just work with me. Of course this is my opinion on this comparison, but I'm happy with the results from my first project via Fusion360 - bathroom corner shelf.

Edit: Not sure how much the features change from Free Version to Paid Version, but using my .Edu email allowed me to obtain a free full version copy. Either way i'm lucky for that!

David Buchhauser
10-20-2019, 7:26 AM
The thread title initially threw me off! I started with AutoCAD over 20 years ago. I still use it for the majority of my 2D drawings, but I like Solid Works for the solid modeling stuff. I also use VCarve Pro and Aspire for the cnc wood router. I have been using Fusion 360 for the last year or so - particularly to create tool paths for some of my cnc stuff (routing aluminum and some plasma cutting). For the money (or lack of it) I think that Fusion 360 is your best bet. I have no experience with Sketchup, but from what I have heard - it does seem sort of "clunky".
David

David Buchhauser
10-20-2019, 7:35 AM
So something like this?

Or like this.

https://autodesk.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/383662iD293235D5BB8B0AF/image-size/large?v=1.0&px=999

Mark Bolton
10-20-2019, 5:06 PM
am curious if other ww appreciate the value of parametrics?

I run parametrics every day in SU with dynamic components

Randy Heinemann
10-21-2019, 1:47 PM
My comment may have already been made, but I couldn't find it. SketchUp (Make 2017) is indeed free at this point and, based on information online, will continue to be free essentially forever. The qualification is that the company that now owns SketchUp does not support this free version and, whatever is out there to download will stay the same into the future. So, as long as it works on your computer, you can use it. When Windows or Apple OS changes enough that the 2017 version won't work, that's it.

So, the real question, at this point, is whether you want to invest a significant amount of time learning software that may not work for more that a couple more years. If I were acquiring 3D modeling software, I'd look for something else right now. What you need depends on what you make in your shop. Since I make various types of furniture and cabinets, some tables, etc. I need something that will produce those drawings without a substantial investment of my time to make the drawing or it's possible that it would be just as easy to use an old 2D drawing program I own called DeltaCad which is extremely easy to use; but only draws in 2D which means you must draw all views of your piece and make sure they all match in measurement. Still, for those of us who use a drawing program to make a few pieces a year, that is a good option worth considering.

Other than that, I'm trying a program called SketchList (3D) which is OK but sometimes can be a little cumbersome. I will again try Fusion 360 but it seemed somewhat complicated to learn, especially if the free version may not be out there at some point in the future.

I realize that software companies must charge to pay for updates to keep up with rapid changes in operating systems and computers. However, there are many users, like me, who only need drawing programs for the small number of projects we do every year. For that, spending several hundred dollars up front with annual maintenance fees just doesn't make sense. For us, companies should continue to make downloadable versions of the software which incorporate the basics requirements for woodworking. We don't need all the features that people in the business and professional world need to use it for our hobby.

There still are one-time purchase applications available but they are hard to find and some just don't really work well for woodworking.