PDA

View Full Version : Buffing revisited

Rich Stewart
12-15-2005, 1:29 PM
My buffing is looking much better lately. New question: Does buffing more than once make it any better? If you repeat the whole proccess or any part of it will it shine even more. I could find out for myself by doing it but I won't be back in my shop for a few days and maybe you can save me some time in experimentation.

Thanks!

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2005, 2:05 PM
Rich - Not sure that it does. Here's why. I turned this bowl back in August and it's been sitting in a closet ever since waiting to be wrapped up as a Christmas present. Well, I rebuffed it the other day so it could get wrapped and for the life of me I saw no difference whatsoever. Perhaps a much longer interval would result in a different appearance?

27593 27594

EDIT -- The second buffing was Carnauba only.

Bill Stevener
12-15-2005, 2:49 PM
Rich, I go along with Andy's thoughts, if the item is used for display purposes only frequency may well be only once in 3 to 4 years if kept dusted and clean, if that often. However, if it is in daily use, one might consider taking a look at it every so often and evaluating weather or not it may need a rebuffing only with the wax, if scratches are evident you may wish to try all three steps. One thing to look at is the fact that some like the old time patina that develops.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ron Ainge
12-15-2005, 3:07 PM
you may be able to get a little bit better shine by buffing it with the carnuba wax a second time but to go through the whole process again I don't think you will gain anyting unless your first job did not come to your satisfaction. If I rememer correctly you were having a problem with your buffing system at first. if that is the case you may get some good results by buffing your turning again.

Dick Parr
12-15-2005, 8:57 PM
The only thing I can add that hasn't been said already is to get yourself some Renaissance Wax. After your final buffing, put some on , wait 20-30 seconds and then wipe off.

I use it on everything I make. It is pricey, but great stuff.;)

Good luck.

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2005, 9:01 PM
Dick - Is that in lieu of the Carauba Wax or in addition to it?

Chip Sutherland
12-16-2005, 7:26 PM
Haste for Christmas is upon me....How long should I wait to beall buff bowls finished with Danish Oil? The bowls are going to be church collection bowls so a lot of hands will be touching them. I put the bulk of the oil on last night. I have a couple more to do tonight. Ideally, I would be delivering them to the minister before Christmas Eve Service (12/24).

I am also willing to wait a few weeks to buff them if I need to. They can be used for a few Sundays I guess then I can buff and return. I expected to buff them once or twice a year anyway.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2005, 7:40 PM
Chip - I'd let the oil cure for as long as possible. And since buffing is instant, you ought to be able to accomodate that without too much stress.

Dick Parr
12-16-2005, 9:22 PM
Andy that is in addition to the Carnuba Wax. I use it on everything including the metal parts of the pens I make. It helps the finish and shine hold up.

Earl Eyre
12-17-2005, 12:42 AM
I've been experimenting with the Beall system alot in the last couple months since I bought it. Here's my conclusion: if you want a high shine (that sounds like what you are asking about), start with a high shine. I'm serious. If you sand really smooth and put 5 or 6 coats of high gloss lacquer on the piece and then go through all the buffing stages you will have a really shiny piece. The buffing is only smoothing the piece and deepening the shine.

If you start with a low or no shine, you end up with a low shine. Of course, many times that's what you want.

IMHO the Beall system is not a substitute for sanding and finishing, it's just a great addition.

Earl

Carole Valentine
12-17-2005, 1:19 AM
I've been experimenting with the Beall system alot in the last couple months since I bought it. Here's my conclusion: if you want a high shine (that sounds like what you are asking about), start with a high shine. I'm serious. If you sand really smooth and put 5 or 6 coats of high gloss lacquer on the piece and then go through all the buffing stages you will have a really shiny piece. The buffing is only smoothing the piece and deepening the shine.

If you start with a low or no shine, you end up with a low shine. Of course, many times that's what you want.

IMHO the Beall system is not a substitute for sanding and finishing, it's just a great addition.

Earl
Bingo, Earl! No amount of buffing is going to bring a high shine to a poorly sanded and prepared piece. DAMHIKT!

Rich Stewart
12-17-2005, 7:29 AM
Dick, who makes it and where do you get it? The rennaissance wax.

Chris Barton
12-17-2005, 8:29 AM
I, frankly have a love-hate relationship with my Beal system, or as I like to call it, "the automatic lint generator." I have the big 3 wheel system and while it does make finishes look great it has its pitfalls as well. First, if the finish is not completely hardened you will know because the Beal will distroy it. Second, am I the only person that has had the wheels yank a piece from my hands and shoot it into either something pointy (like my head), soft (like my face) or hard (like the floor) and then I have a very shiny collection of wood chards?

Dick Parr
12-17-2005, 8:40 AM
Rich,

Most all of the woodworking or at least woodturning catalogs have the Renaissance wax for sale. Look in the section of the catalog under wax's. If you have Woodcraft neat buy they sell it and it is the best price.

It is a small can of wax, but it goes a long way.

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Let's remember one thing with BLO or Tung oil finish on turnings?
You can "push" the finish almost 100% dry via buffing with a dry wheel and slow movement. I do this all the time when I'm in a hurry and has a wheel dedicated to just such a task.

If you are looking for VERY Affordable buffing wheels and supplies, then check out Caswell Inc. I get all my stuff from there including their $99 buffing motor. Works great and spins at 1100 RMP. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

The heat generated during the buffing process over the wood...providing it has been wiped as dry as you can get it with a rag.....can accelerate the drying process enough to take a clearcoat on top of the semi-dry oil. But it's a process you shouldn't hurry. Take your time and move slowly and allow the heat to move around with the buffing wheel.