PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Fence for Powermatic Band Saw?

Steve H Graham
09-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Someone not far away is advertising a Powermatic 14" band saw for a good price. Problem: no fence and no miter gauge.

I don't care about the miter gauge because I would have replaced that anyway, but it looks like Powermatic fences are expensive. Is there a good aftermarket alternative that either 1. won't break the bank or 2. will break the bank but has features that make it worth it?

Maybe I should make a steel rip fence on my own so it will accept magnetic tools.

Bruce Wrenn
09-12-2019, 8:25 PM
Someone not far away is advertising a Powermatic 14" band saw for a good price. Problem: no fence and no miter gauge.

Maybe I should make a steel rip fence on my own so it will accept magnetic tools. Sounds like a plan to me. That's on my bucket list to do.

Frederick Skelly
09-12-2019, 8:32 PM
I have a Kreg bandsaw fence and really like it. LINK (https://www.amazon.com/KREG-KMS7200-Kreg-Bandsaw-Fence/dp/B0007VYL48/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QI33AHRSBY12&keywords=kreg+bandsaw+fence&qid=1568334601&sprefix=Kreg+bands%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-1) They average about $110.

Cary Falk
09-12-2019, 8:55 PM
I liked this grizzly fence that was on my G0513x2. I don't know what the budget is.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Resaw-Fence-Complete-for-14-Bandsaws/H7587

Steve H Graham
09-12-2019, 9:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. The table is really small. Now that I know that, I'm less interested.

The seller lost the fence AND rails, apparently. How do you lose the rails from a band saw? Mysterious.

Mike Cutler
09-13-2019, 6:27 AM
The seller lost the fence AND rails, apparently. How do you lose the rails from a band saw? Mysterious.

Uhmmm,,, pretty easy.
I have a 20+ year old Jet, which has the same fence as the Powermatic, and I haven't seen that fence in probably 20 years. I also haven't had a fence on my bandsaw for at least 15 years. I think I can find the parts, but they could have been fab'd into a jig, or I just got tired of moving it around and storing it.
The OEM fence isn't that great. You're better off "rolliing your own", or buying the Kreg. ;)

PS
Yep, that table is really small! I made a much bigger table for mine many years ago. i don't have it on there any longer, but it worked out really well.

Steve H Graham
09-13-2019, 10:47 AM
It looks like Jet has come out with a really nice steel 14" saw. I may just wait until I'm in a spending mood and get one.