PDA

View Full Version : Palindrome day

Rick Potter
09-11-2019, 6:05 PM
On a less solemn note, today's date 9-11-19 is one of very few palindromes we will experience in our lifetimes. (Reads the same forward or backward)

Greg Parrish
09-11-2019, 6:34 PM
Unless you add the zero. :P

Jim Koepke
09-11-2019, 7:33 PM
How about 1-2-21? Then there will be 2-2-22 and 2-3-32 and many others.

My favorite palindrome may be one of the oldest:

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

It is latin and has been found among Roman ruins including the ruins of Pompeii.

Interesting in that it reads horizontally or vertically forwards and backwards.

jtk

Brett Luna
09-11-2019, 7:51 PM
Unless you add the zero. :P

Or use the full year.

Yeah...other than being something you can have a little fun with, I don't think there's much to this 'experience'. But if you're really into it, there will be others on 9/12/19, 9/13/19, 9/14/19, etc. If you're also willing to be flexible with the format you use, you can experience another such day on November 2nd, 2020 in the U.S. military, Europe, and other locales that use the 'dd/mm/yy' format.

For a little more meaningless numerical fun: I was born in 1961, which reads the same if you turn it upside-down. You're turning your head sideways right now, aren't you? And one more thing, I was born on the 17th of the month, which is 1+9+6+1.

Rick Potter
09-11-2019, 10:38 PM
This one is for you Brett.

For 32 years we lived in a house with the number 2461. For 25 years my parents lived in a house with the number 1942. When they died 15 years ago we moved into their old house, took our brass house numbers with us, and kinda sorta backwards and upside down used the same old brass numbers we had on our house for years.

Totally meaningless, except for me, especially since my wife and I were both born in 1942. Oh yeah, I was born on the 16th day of October....1+9+4+2.

Didn't realize palindromes were that common. I just heard the tail end of a report on the news, and thought it was interesting.

Michael Weber
09-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Or use the full year.

Yeah...other than being something you can have a little fun with, I don't think there's much to this 'experience'. But if you're really into it, there will be others on 9/12/19, 9/13/19, 9/14/19, etc. If you're also willing to be flexible with the format you use, you can experience another such day on November 2nd, 2020 in the U.S. military, Europe, and other locales that use the 'dd/mm/yy' format.

For a little more meaningless numerical fun: I was born in 1961, which reads the same if you turn it upside-down. You're turning your head sideways right now, aren't you? And one more thing, I was born on the 17th of the month, which is 1+9+6+1.
Or as I recall reading at the time. "Regardless of how you look at it, 1961 is going to be a topsy turvy year".

Dave Zellers
09-12-2019, 12:40 PM
On a less solemn note, today's date 9-11-19 is one of very few palindromes we will experience in our lifetimes. (Reads the same forward or backward)

Every day for the next week is a palindrome.

Brett Luna
09-12-2019, 2:01 PM
This one is for you Brett.

For 32 years we lived in a house with the number 2461. For 25 years my parents lived in a house with the number 1942. When they died 15 years ago we moved into their old house, took our brass house numbers with us, and kinda sorta backwards and upside down used the same old brass numbers we had on our house for years.

Now that's what I call using the ol' frugal noodle.

Didn't realize palindromes were that common. I just heard the tail end of a report on the news, and thought it was interesting.

Oh, I agree it can be interesting...and for me, mainly as a mental exercise. On the other hand, I admit that I'm often amused, bemused, and sometimes irritated when people (not you!) breathlessly post these kinds of things on Facebook as if there's something truly significant and rare going on. Dude, no. It's just some number juggling. Same deal with Mars. It is not going to look bigger than the Moon next month. But do they listen? Noooooooooo. </snark>

John K Jordan
09-12-2019, 2:15 PM

One nice think about being born in 1950 is I can always figure out how old I am, as long as someone tells me the current year and I can still remember how to subtract 50.

I made sure to get married in an even 10's year which makes it easy to remember which anniversary is coming up (or I missed.) Great for we the memory challenged.

JKJ

Jim Koepke
09-12-2019, 4:15 PM
One nice think about being born in 1950 is I can always figure out how old I am, as long as someone tells me the current year and I can still remember how to subtract 50.

I made sure to get married in an even 10's year which makes it easy to remember which anniversary is coming up (or I missed.) Great for we the memory challenged.

JKJ

Likewise born in 1950. Though my plan was to get married on New Years Day to make it harder to forget our anniversary.

jtk

Kev Williams
09-12-2019, 5:09 PM
Our anniversary is coming up, a week from today...

We met August 2nd, a few days after my July birthday.
She gave me a bad phone number (accident) so I couldn't call.
So the next weekend she called me. While we were talking, lightning hit my house. My daughter and my stereo system got some of it... Omen?
We spent most of our free time together after that...
On Wed Sept 18th we took off for Elko Nevada to gamble and get married- not necessarily in that order-
When we got to Wendover, we were both feeling like we had the flu, so we got a cheap motel and spent the night. This was all spur of the moment so no big deal-
Next morning we felt much better, gambled a bit, had some breakfast, then headed for Elko.
We went straight to the courthouse, got a license, went in to see the judge.
We put out our cigarettes (the old days ;) ) and stood for our vows, said our 'I do's, we were pronounced, and we shook the judges hand in thanks...

Then I looked at my watch, it had just ticked past 1:10pm...

It was pure happenstance, that we got married on 9-19-1991 at 9 after 1... ok, so the zero's are deleted but still ;)

We'd know each other less than 7 weeks. That was 28 years ago, and we still haven't had a 'bad patch' :)

But there's something about 1's and 9's... :D

Jerome Stanek
09-14-2019, 12:47 PM

Any teen number this month is a palindrome

lowell holmes
09-14-2019, 1:50 PM
I was curious about Peter's Creek Alaska, so I Googled it. The picture is so spectacular, I printed it.