PDA

View Full Version : Television popped and won't turn on

Jon Nuckles
09-11-2019, 3:30 PM
I use a 26" Samsung flat screen (lcd or led manufactured in 2008) as a computer monitor for my laptop. Yesterday, I turned it on along with my computer and went downstairs to make coffee. A few minutes later, I heard a bang from upstairs. I assumed that my dog had knocked something over, but when I went upstairs the tv was black.

I checked that the outlet was powered and I could see that the red light on the television's "on" button was lit, but the on button would no longer turn the tv on. Based on some internet advice, I unplugged it and pressed the on button for 30 seconds, then plugged it back in and tried it -- no luck. Samsung's online chat rep told me to look for something similar to a joystick on the back of the tv, but I don't have one (you'd think he would have known that after I gave him the model number). Upon hearing that, he said my only option was to a schedule a service call. At the price of new 24" to 27" flat screens, I am more inclined to take the tv to a local recycling drop off and buy a new one, as I doubt I can get this one fixed for much less. I didn't have a surge protector for the tv, although the outlet was on an arc-fault protected breaker, which did not trigger.

Any suggestions for something to try before I take it to be recycled?

Pat Barry
09-11-2019, 4:05 PM
Unplug it, wait 10 to 20 seconds, plug it back in and try it. If it don't work, recycle and buy a new 50 inch model

Pat Barry
09-11-2019, 4:07 PM
Note: if something actually popped inside you can often smell something. Burnt electronics are somewhat unique / unmistakable. If it smells its junk.

Paul F Franklin
09-11-2019, 4:08 PM
Often there are one or more fuses inside, but they rarely blow unless there is another fault. If you search for the model number and "problems" or the like, you will usually find some troubleshooting advice. 2008 is most likely LCD and you're right, it isn't worth spending much time or money on it if it isn't something simple. I'd at least unplug it and leave for 30-60 minutes and try it again. If it was a loud bang, good chance one of the filter capacitors blew; if you take the back off you may see the aftermath.

Jim Becker
09-11-2019, 4:32 PM
Unless it magically comes alive, I agree it's not worth fixing at all. A new made-for-computer monitor will be the better choice and provide you a much better image than a ten year old TV, too...go for higher resolution for a crisper image that's easier on your eyes.

Tom M King
09-11-2019, 4:44 PM
I fixed one that had vertical purple sections on one half of the screen, but nothing to do with your problem. I always let Google see if anyone has a youtube video on fixing such problems. That's how I found the simple fix for that one.

I used to joke that they had figured out how to make TV's, and refrigerators out of nothing, since they now weigh so little. After opening up the back of that one, I saw that it's not a joke.

Jerome Stanek
09-11-2019, 4:51 PM
A popping sound is likely to be a capacitor. I have had then pop and some sound like a gun going off. I have repaired about ten different monitors and computers that had popped capacitors for about 50 cents for the parts

Jon Nuckles
09-11-2019, 4:57 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies. I did try it again today after having it unplugged for about 20 hours. Still nothing. It was a very loud pop when it happened. Guess I will consider this a good opportunity for an upgrade. Now if only the plasma in the living room would die!

Rick Potter
09-11-2019, 5:50 PM
I had a 32" Samsung flatscreen TV in my shop office (mancave). I turned it on one day and heard a small pop, and the screen went blank. Turned it off and tried it again with no luck.

Googling the TV model number, and problem, I found several sites saying they were susceptible to capacitors failing. There are even YouTube videos on how to solder in a new one. I thought I would try it when I had time and set it aside for about a year or so, when I decided I would never get to it.

Put an ad on CL offering to give it to anyone who likes playing with electronics, and a nice young guy grabbed it, saying he wanted to fix it and give it to his girl friend. I was a bit surprised when he called me a week later and said he fixed it for almost nothing, and his girl was very pleased with it....thank you.

I am glad I happened to get the right guy, but I know I missed out on a learning experience fixing it. Of course, it would probably be still sitting there.

John K Jordan
09-11-2019, 5:57 PM
Note: if something actually popped inside you can often smell something. Burnt electronics are somewhat unique / unmistakable. If it smells its junk.

If handy with electronics, a blown component will often pinpoint itself by the smell and possibly by the appearance. I've fixed a lot of things by finding and replacing. With luck, it could be an capacitor, easy to find, easy to replace. They sometimes make a sound when they blow and the electrolytics can look bloated and leaky (and stink).

JKJ

roger wiegand
09-11-2019, 6:01 PM
The popping sound was probably associated with a leak that let the magic smoke out, even if you perhaps didn't notice it. Once the magic smoke comes out of a modern electronic device you usually have to replace it as it is very complicated and expensive to pump it back in.

Bruce Volden
09-11-2019, 6:42 PM
Jon,
I just went through the same thing 2 wks. ago with an LG tv. Google showed me how to fix but I wasn't interested.
Went and bought a slightly larger 43" Samsung 120, 4K yada yada--- $235.
I just didn't want to take apart the LG and replace the main board ($60 on flee bay refurb. $126 new from dealer.) To me it was a no-brainer.

Bruce

Jim Koepke
09-11-2019, 7:43 PM
If it was a loud bang, good chance one of the filter capacitors blew; if you take the back off you may see the aftermath.

Or maybe just a void with a couple of nubs where the leads for the cap that used to be are still attached to the board.

If you are handy with fixing stuff, this might be worth a try. Otherwise, it is a good excuse to upgrade.

While still in college one night about, 1:00am, while trying to figure out why a power supply wasn't working, it all of a sudden explained itself with a loud bang. It seems in my haste one of the capacitors was wired backwards. While sitting there a bit shocked, in a haze of capacitor guts, my wife came in and said, "don't you think it is time to come to bed?"

jtk

Edward Dyas
09-11-2019, 8:07 PM
Did you test the tubes? LOL. The electronic devices today are pretty much not repairable. Use them like a light bulb and throw them away when it burns out.

Jim Koepke
09-11-2019, 8:27 PM
Did you test the tubes? LOL. The electronic devices today are pretty much not repairable. Use them like a light bulb and throw them away when it burns out.

Actually, many of them are repairable to a person who knows how. The problem is a person who knows how is likely to charge at least half of what a replacement would cost.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
09-11-2019, 8:40 PM
My money goes on a capacitor. Look for one with a bulged top. When ordering a replacement off ebay, get the next higher voltage rating (DAMHIK)

Edward Dyas
09-11-2019, 8:56 PM
Yea, that's it. We used to take the tubes out and run down to the hardware store and put them on a tube tester until we found the bad one and buy another and fix it ourselves. Rarely did we have to bother with a repair technician.

Jim Koepke
09-11-2019, 9:35 PM
My money goes on a capacitor. Look for one with a bulged top. When ordering a replacement off ebay, get the next higher voltage rating (DAMHIK)

If it made a loud bang, the top will likely be more than a little bulged.

Also consider the possibilities of what caused the cap to go. It could have been age related or it could have been the failure of another component like a diode.

jtk

Jim Koepke
09-11-2019, 9:46 PM
Yea, that's it. We used to take the tubes out and run down to the hardware store and put them on a tube tester until we found the bad one and buy another and fix it ourselves. Rarely did we have to bother with a repair technician.

And if you knew which symptoms were caused by which tubes you wouldn't have to carry as many with you to test. Many of the hardware and grocery store tube testers also had brochures to help explain which tubes were the likely culprits.

The tube numbers and letters were a coded shorthand for a tube's use. A 5U4 had a 5V filament and was full wave rectifier, a common tube used in many TV power supplies.

jtk

John K Jordan
09-12-2019, 2:09 PM
And if you knew which symptoms were caused by which tubes you wouldn't have to carry as many with you to test. Many of the hardware and grocery store tube testers also had brochures to help explain which tubes were the likely culprits.

The tube numbers and letters were a coded shorthand for a tube's use. A 5U4 had a 5V filament and was full wave rectifier, a common tube used in many TV power supplies.

jtk

I have a nice tube desk radio. There are a surprising number of people who love to work on these today. A friend repaired mine even though it looked like it had a lightening surge.

One thing we forget today is when we used to turn TVs and radios on there was a delay while the tubes warmed up - might be a 15-30 seconds of silence.

JKJ

Thomas L Carpenter
09-12-2019, 3:41 PM
I would replace it but keep it around to see if you can fix it. It may be easier than you think. At the worst it would be a learning experience.

Jim Koepke
09-12-2019, 4:12 PM
I have a nice tube desk radio. There are a surprising number of people who love to work on these today. A friend repaired mine even though it looked like it had a lightening surge.

One thing we forget today is when we used to turn TVs and radios on there was a delay while the tubes warmed up - might be a 15-30 seconds of silence.

JKJ

Depending on the type of radio, it likely had tubes with all the filaments in series. If one went out, they all went out. Those were easy to fix with an ohm meter if one knew which pins on the tube socket were for the filaments. Usually easy to determine by the wire stringing from socket to socket.

Currently the time it takes our receiver and TV to go through their start up program seems longer than it took for tube sets to be ready for viewing.

Every improvement seems to have a draw back at times.

jtk

Kev Williams
09-12-2019, 5:22 PM
Voltage regulators can break and pop when they do. Had one do that in the power supply of a laser engraver. We replaced it, but still no worky, something else that wasn't so apparent caused it to pop.

Most electronic stuff these days are just Dixie Cups with circuit boards...

Mike Henderson
09-12-2019, 5:36 PM
Just make sure it's the monitor and not the computer that's the problem.

Mike

Jon Nuckles
09-12-2019, 8:49 PM
I am still using the computer, right now as a matter of fact. I took the tv/monitor to the local electronics recycling drop off earlier today. I have too many unfinished projects to add electronics repair to the list. If I get the urge to fix something, I have an old Buffalo drill press in the queue. I'm not an expert in that type of restoration, but I can at least understand what most of the parts are for. Thanks for the advice you have offered.

Myk Rian
09-12-2019, 9:33 PM
Nowadays there's 15-30 seconds of silence while the TV "boots up".

Edward Dyas
09-12-2019, 10:25 PM
I think I was probably 16 at the time. There was no internet and probably the technical manuals were only available at repair shops. It's funny, for some reason my parents kept the cabinet to that TV but got rid of all the components. I've often though about putting a modern television inside that cabinet. The cabinet is in remarkable condition for having been stored in a basement for more than 40 years.

Jim Koepke
09-13-2019, 12:04 AM
I think I was probably 16 at the time. There was no internet and probably the technical manuals were only available at repair shops. It's funny, for some reason my parents kept the cabinet to that TV but got rid of all the components. I've often though about putting a modern television inside that cabinet. The cabinet is in remarkable condition for having been stored in a basement for more than 40 years.

TV cabinets used to be made of quality wood back in the day. Some folks made them into terrariums.

A TV was as much a piece of furniture as it was an entertainment device.

jtk

Rick Potter
09-13-2019, 2:06 AM
Years ago my dad took the guts out of his nice wooden console, and inserted a 21" TV in the case. It looked like it came that way.

Ole Anderson
09-13-2019, 8:39 AM
11 years is not a bad life for electronics in this age. Toss it and move on.

Bruce Wrenn
09-15-2019, 8:45 PM
Years ago my dad took the guts out of his nice wooden console, and inserted a 21" TV in the case. It looked like it came that way.Worked for a RCA dealer back in the early 70's. Sold three types of tv's. RCA console, and RCA table top. Customers would swear picture was so much better on console than table top. Insides were EXACTLY the same. Best TV was a Japanese "Olympic" 19" portable. There was a barber shop next door, and static from clippers tore up the RCA's, but didn't bother the Olympic.

Derek Meyer
09-16-2019, 5:40 PM
When I was little, my dad put an addition on our house that added a family room, master bedroom and bathroom. My mom wanted the decor to be red and black, with wrought iron tables and smoked black glass tops. She found the perfect TV for the room - a 26" RCA console with a smoked black glass top. It was over $1000 (in 1973) but she bought it anyway. My dad had a fit but they kept it. We had that TV in our family until it died in 1986, when they replaced it with....you guessed it....an RCA console TV. This time with an oak finish to match the decor in the family room of their new house.