PDA

View Full Version : Installed Shelf On New Bench

ken hatch
09-09-2019, 2:25 PM
Installed a shelf on the long stretchers of the new bench. It is pretty much the same as the shelf on the shop Moravian, just a little shorter.

From the other side:

Except for the end slats the slats are loose with a little "play" between slats. We are nearing the end of monsoon season which is our highest RH of the year so wood movement shouldn't be a problem.

This more or less finishes the bench. About the only other thing I might add is a tool rack on the back side of the slab. I'll live with the bench for a bit before deciding if a rack is needed.

ken

Christopher Charles
09-09-2019, 2:54 PM
Looks like it is time to install the bottle opener :)

What's on deck?

michael langman
09-09-2019, 3:07 PM
That is a nice looking bench Ken. I would call it a keeper. Looks very usable.

ken hatch
09-09-2019, 5:06 PM
Looks like it is time to install the bottle opener :)

What's on deck?

Chris,

I've been trying to find a place for a cup holder but so far no joy :D.

I think a kick wheel for MsBubba. Then either another bench or a new shave horse.

ken

ken hatch
09-09-2019, 5:11 PM
That is a nice looking bench Ken. I would call it a keeper. Looks very usable.

Thanks Michael,

The little I've used it, it is becoming a favorite. Mostly because the vise is so slick and it is very stable. Fact is I'm ordering a BC vise and crisscross to retrofit the main shop bench because the vise is so slick.

ken

Phil Mueller
09-09-2019, 8:49 PM
Well done, Ken. I went a year or so without a shelf on my bench, with bench hooks, jigs and such underneath on the floor. What a pain when I needed to move the bench a bit here or there. Finally added a shelf and it makes a huge difference. Don’t think I’d ever do another bench build without one. As it goes, I guess the fat lady is about to take a bow.

Jim Koepke
09-09-2019, 9:48 PM
A great bench needs a great shelf. :cool:

jtk

Stew Denton
09-09-2019, 10:03 PM
Ken, another well done! The shelf looks very handy.

One question, you have gone the way of the leg vise, it looks like. Based on your experience, what is the advantage of the leg vise versus a standard bench woodworking vise?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

ken hatch
09-10-2019, 1:32 AM
Well done, Ken. I went a year or so without a shelf on my bench, with bench hooks, jigs and such underneath on the floor. What a pain when I needed to move the bench a bit here or there. Finally added a shelf and it makes a huge difference. Don’t think I’d ever do another bench build without one. As it goes, I guess the fat lady is about to take a bow.

Thanks Phil.

I'd have a hard time working on a bench without some kind of off slab storage. Drawers and cabinets under do not work but a shelf does.

ken

ken hatch
09-10-2019, 1:33 AM
A great bench needs a great shelf. :cool:

jtk

Jim,

I agree.

ken

ken hatch
09-10-2019, 1:43 AM
Ken, another well done! The shelf looks very handy.

One question, you have gone the way of the leg vise, it looks like. Based on your experience, what is the advantage of the leg vise versus a standard bench woodworking vise?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Stew thanks,

On the portable Moravian benches the leg vise is lighter and breaks down into a modular unit that is very easy to take off and put back on. With the crisscross and BC Classic screw it is also faster in use than a metal QR vise and I believe holds better than a metal vise.

ken

Tom Bender
09-10-2019, 7:14 AM
Ken
That's the best looking leg vice in town. Let me suggest adding leather to the movable jaw, rough side out. It provides a much more secure grip and is much more gentle.

ken hatch
09-10-2019, 9:35 AM
Ken
That's the best looking leg vice in town. Let me suggest adding leather to the movable jaw, rough side out. It provides a much more secure grip and is much more gentle.

Tom,

Thanks. The vise holds well enough that for about 2 seconds I thought about just letting the jaws go commando but the vise came with BC's "Crubber" so I used that. I'm glad I did, the holding is outstanding, without any extra force on the vise, just from it snubbing from a spin I believe you could pick the bench up using whatever is in the vise and it would not move. Crubber is made from ground up rubber and cork. I'm not sure how it will hold up in use, only time will tell.

ken

Jim Koepke
09-10-2019, 2:29 PM
I'd have a hard time working on a bench without some kind of off slab storage.

My bench shelf tends to hold only my bench top helpers, it would be a pain to have to walk across the room for a hold fast or special dog. There is a messy kind or organization to it all.

jtk

ken hatch
09-10-2019, 4:29 PM
My bench shelf tends to hold only my bench top helpers, it would be a pain to have to walk across the room for a hold fast or special dog. There is a messy kind or organization to it all.

jtk

Jim,

Much the same with mine, it is a good spot to hold the bench hooks and other bench appliances. I also use it to store many of the different hammers that are needed but not often used. I have holdfast storage in the legs, stretchers and aprons of the different benches. It is amazing how much "stuff" is needed within easy reach and a shelf helps.

ken

ken hatch
09-13-2019, 12:09 AM
Tool Rack Added:

I added a tool rack to the bench this AM. After a couple of weeks of posting the bench is finished, it really is now. The tool rack even has a coat of Tung oil, you can’t get more finished than that.

Before Tung oil:

Finished with one coat of Tung oil:

The fat lady is taking her bow.

ken

freiler thompson
09-13-2019, 10:08 AM
This looks great Ken! I especially like the barriers on the sides to prevent escapees. That is the kind of touch that I would look at afterwards and wish I had thought of during planning.

ken hatch
09-13-2019, 10:22 AM
This looks great Ken! I especially like the barriers on the sides to prevent escapees. That is the kind of touch that I would look at afterwards and wish I had thought of during planning.

Thanks Freller,

It comes from having made most mistakes that can be made on previous builds :). That is one of the reasons I advocate making early benches simple, quick, and cheap because it takes a few builds to work out the bugs. BTW, this build will be posted in the classifieds soon (I want to work on it for a bit to make sure everything works well together) to make room for my next build. I want to make one with a Oak base vs. the Poplar base I've used on the last few builds and I'm thinking about using Soft Maple for the slab. It should be a fun build.

ken

freiler thompson
09-13-2019, 8:07 PM
I know what you mean! If you use cheap wood then it is not s big deal to tear a piece off and try again or to just redo the vise on it. I would love to have a 4 inch thick purpleheart Roubo, but then it would be too nice to mess up and where are you going to work?