PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal boring machine? Old one

Dueane Hicks
09-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Has anyone used an old horizontal boring machine? This one is for sale locally and they want 200 for it. Looks to be foot operated and heavy duty. I used to have a robland x-31 with a horizontal boring table that attached to the end of the planer/joiner cutter head. It was sloppy at best.

Mike Henderson
09-09-2019, 1:38 PM
I'm not a big fan of horizontal boring machines. I do like horizontal slot cutters, however. I've used horizontal slot cutters a fair amount and really like them for making mortises.

Mike

Mick Simon
09-09-2019, 1:54 PM
That looks like an old Davis & Wells horizontal boring machine. We modified several of them with Robland mortising tables. We have 3 of them at the school where I teach, used every day for years and years. I agree with the slop in the Robland table, though. There's probably other tables that hold tighter tolerances available that would work.

Jim Andrew
09-09-2019, 9:51 PM
I bought a Grizzly horizontal boring machine several years ago, use an end mill to make slots for mortises. Really accurate. It has a handle for back and forth movement and another for the in and out, and I try to take off just enough per pass, so as not to break the cutter.

Tom Bender
09-18-2019, 2:42 PM
Not sure I'd find use for it or space, but it is a fine looking hunk of cast iron.