PDA

View Full Version : Ipod and comuter hard drive crash, What to do?

Alan Tolchinsky
12-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi All, Has anybody had their computer hard drive crash that contained all your Ipod music? What did you do to get your songs back on your hard drive from your Ipod? I see some programs that claim they do this for you. Any good? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chuck Wintle
12-15-2005, 11:16 AM
can you drag and drop the music files back to the hard drive?

Travis Porter
12-15-2005, 12:08 PM
It depends on the level of crash that is experienced. If the hard drive will not spin up or do anything, you are in trouble. My recommendation would be to remove the drive, install a new one, reload operating systems, and make the old one a slave. Then see if you can access it and get your files. If not, you will need to get one of the file recovery applications. I have used one from Winternals and it works very well. Downside is it is not cheap.

Chuck Wintle
12-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi All, Has anybody had their computer hard drive crash that contained all your Ipod music? What did you do to get your songs back on your hard drive from your Ipod? I see some programs that claim they do this for you. Any good? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-15-2005, 1:38 PM
Are you asking to recover your hard drive files or to transfer files back to the drive from the Ipod?

Thanks guys. I'm asking about how to transfer songs from the Ipod back onto my new hard drive. I have already installed a new hard drive in my computer but I have no songs on the computer. So how DO you load songs from the Ipod onto the new hard drive? Thanks in advance for any help.

Chuck Wintle
12-15-2005, 3:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'm asking about how to transfer songs from the Ipod back onto my new hard drive. I have already installed a new hard drive in my computer but I have no songs on the computer. So how DO you load songs from the Ipod onto the new hard drive? Thanks in advance for any help.
Does the Ipod act like an external drive when you connect it? If so can you copy and paste files from it?

Alan Tolchinsky
12-15-2005, 4:53 PM
Does the Ipod act like an external drive when you connect it? If so can you copy and paste files from it?

I think it does but I'm not sure how to make it do that. If I do it wrong and plug it in, by by all my music. :(

Chuck Wintle
12-15-2005, 5:05 PM
I think the Ipod's are USB? if so then your computer should see it when you plug it in.

Tyler Howell
12-15-2005, 6:36 PM
First load your Itunes and Quick time on your new HD.
The Imusic Store has a link to Service and support. Lots of FAQ to step through. Should get you started.

Glenn Clabo
12-15-2005, 7:06 PM
I guess because I put a link in my last reply it was deleted...so I'll try to explain and quote the way it to do it.

You should not just plug your iPod in and expect it to work...and yes you will kill your iPods music. Google for a program called Ipod Access for Windows...it's the best 15 bucks you'll spend.

"If you haven't installed iTunes, the iPod automatically shows up as a hard drive. With iTunes already installed your system plug the iPod in and Itunes will ask you to associate the iPod with your computer. You MUST click NO or all songs on your iPod will be deleted. This is likely the most important step in the entire process.If you haven't installed iTunes, the iPod automatically shows up as a hard drive. After connecting your iPod and installing iPod Access, just browse the files on your iPod and transfer them from the iPod to your PC either individually or in bulk." From MediaBlab

Jack Hogoboom
12-16-2005, 3:16 AM
I had this happen to me a few months ago. Don't plug oyur iPod back in until you have installed a program to copy the files back onto your hard drive. There are all kinds of programs for this. I found one by searching the downloads on cnet.com. Once you copy the files back on, you need to reassociate your computer with iTunes or else iTunes won't let you do anything with the files once they are copied back on. I think you can reassociate it up to 5 times.

I hope this helps.

Jack

Alan Tolchinsky
12-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Thank you all for the many great suggestions. I've printed all this and will give it a try and report back here. Thanks again for your generousity and time.