PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw

Rob Overton
07-07-2003, 1:03 PM
I am going to look at the Rigid Band Saw. The reason is I have a
$100.00 gift certificate at "chateau depot". :confused: Anyone have any experience with this saw they would like to share? TIA, Rob

Eric Apple - Central IN
07-07-2003, 4:57 PM
I am going to look at the Rigid Band Saw. The reason is I have a
$100.00 gift certificate at "chateau depot". :confused: Anyone have any experience with this saw they would like to share? TIA, Rob

Hey Rob, I heard it's a serviceable machine. But, I think they already quit selling them (along with all the Rigid tools). At least they have around Indianapolis...

For that reason (and I'm chicken of dropped equipment lines), I guess I would pass on the deal and find something like sandpaper, gas grill, landscaping stuff...

Jim Earls
07-08-2003, 2:41 PM
Rob,

I bought one about 6 months ago. It's a pretty good machine for occasional light use. It's a bit underpowered for heavy resawing, but I don't do much of that so it works fine for me. If I had it to do over, I would probably take a real close look at the Grizzly G0555. I've heard nothing but good reports on this machine. Anyway, If you decide to get the Ridgid, the folks at Emerson Electric (parent company of Ridgid) have indicated they will support the current models for parts and service.
From what I could gather from the recent Emerson Electric press release, Ridgid woodworking equipment will now be manufactured by the same folks that manufacture Ryobi equipment.

Jim

Don Farr
07-08-2003, 5:22 PM
Rob, I like my Ridgid bandsaw. I added a 6 " riser block and some good timberwolf blades and it cuts like a champ.
The large board you see on the table is a piece that I cut out of a 8" oak log. The saw never whimbered.
There are a lot of rumors out there about Ridgid is no more. The truth is someone else will be manufactoring the line in the furture. Probably Ryobi.
Just make sure the one you buy is made by Emerson Electric and has the lifetime warranty. They will stand behind it IF it ever breaks.

Rob Overton
07-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Rob, I like my Ridgid bandsaw. I added a 6 " riser block and some good timberwolf blades and it cuts like a champ.
The large board you see on the table is a piece that I cut out of a 8" oak log. The saw never whimbered.
There are a lot of rumors out there about Ridgid is no more. The truth is someone else will be manufactoring the line in the furture. Probably Ryobi.
Just make sure the one you buy is made by Emerson Electric and has the lifetime warranty. They will stand behind it IF it ever breaks.

I am always a little dubious about something like this, the Rigid is $400.00 and the Delta is $800.00. I begin to think, "What am I missing?". Is it conspicuous consumption? Is it ego? I don't know what
it is. I can buy either, it is the last one I will buy, either way.
Thanks for the input........ Rob

Eric Apple - Central IN
07-09-2003, 4:11 PM
I begin to think, "What am I missing?".

Well you would be missing $400! Sounds like the rigid machine is good. I have the new Grizz G0555 running something like $425 with shipping. It's very much worth the price, and I don't wonder what was missed. I just used the difference to upgrade DC system.

Lynn Sonier
07-09-2003, 6:52 PM
I got the Jet 12" bandsaw - mostly because there is a store about 12 miles from my house, and they are very good about repairing stuff in a timely manner.
I really, really like the saw.