PDA

View Full Version : Sliding table saw?

Carl Beckett
09-08-2019, 6:16 AM
Hadnt seen anything like this before.

https://nh.craigslist.org/tls/d/wolfeboro-falls-wooden-table-saw/6959409347.html

Mike Kees
09-08-2019, 8:26 AM
Carl that is something I have never seen before either. Sure makes cast iron ugly. Maybe that is one of Matthias Wandel's ancestors saws.:D

Tom Bender
09-17-2019, 1:29 PM
Why don't you pick that up and let us know how it works out.

johnny means
09-17-2019, 9:17 PM
Seems like it was an old belt driven machine.

Mike Kees
09-17-2019, 11:06 PM
That is one of the coolest looking machines that I have seen. So much more inviting than a green or grey chunk of cast iron and steel. Would be real interesting to know the history of it.

Ben Rivel
09-17-2019, 11:51 PM
How funny to read your guys' perception. I happen to think a nice shiny cast iron top is far more sleek and beautiful looking! The thought of wood on wood contact and the grinding nature a sliding mechanism would cause makes be cringe! Guess Im just a different breed.

Mike Cutler
09-18-2019, 4:45 AM
Pretty cool looking. Someone definitely had a need they couldn't afford at the time it was built.
I like the attention to detail, ingenuity, and craftsmanship of the project.
It would be interesting to see how "accurate" it is. I bet at one time, it was pretty darn functional, maybe still is.
It's worth the $$$$ just to use as an assembly, or out feed table. You won't build something like that for $200.00 today.

Darcy Warner
09-18-2019, 8:37 AM
How funny to read your guys' perception. I happen to think a nice shiny cast iron top is far more sleek and beautiful looking! The thought of wood on wood contact and the grinding nature a sliding mechanism would cause makes be cringe! Guess Im just a different breed.

The rolling part has iron parts.

Woodworking machinery started out as wood framed machines with a few iron parts back in the day. Made beautiful stuff with those things.

It could very well be a manufactured machine, not home built.

Frank Pratt
09-18-2019, 9:08 AM
Besides being terribly ugly (to my eyes), I can only imagine that it's a pretty bad saw to try to keep in tune.

Bill Dufour
09-18-2019, 9:33 AM
Wonder how the motor is supposed to be mounted?

Darcy Warner
09-18-2019, 2:43 PM
Besides being terribly ugly (to my eyes), I can only imagine that it's a pretty bad saw to try to keep in tune.

I think its beautiful, it very well looks like 1880s components and joinery. Square head bolts, Babbitt bearings, the arbor assembly and sliding table assembly cast parts look very nice. I doubt that saw was really any trouble to keep tuned up.

Wood frame machines with iron parts started in the 1850s or so and Beach was still making wood framed sliding cut off saws well into the 20s probably even longer.

Darcy Warner
09-18-2019, 2:43 PM
Wonder how the motor is supposed to be mounted?

Now to the floor, then, line shaft under the floor.

Frank Pratt
09-18-2019, 5:09 PM
I think its beautiful, it very well looks like 1880s components and joinery. Square head bolts, Babbitt bearings, the arbor assembly and sliding table assembly cast parts look very nice. I doubt that saw was really any trouble to keep tuned up.

Wood frame machines with iron parts started in the 1850s or so and Beach was still making wood framed sliding cut off saws well into the 20s probably even longer.

Darcy, your comment made me go back & have a better look. At first glance, I just saw something neo-rustic with a bad stain job, got turned off & looked no further. My bad.

I now agree that it is a fine looking piece of machinery. I still think it would be a struggle to keep it finely adjusted though.

Edward Dyas
09-18-2019, 5:19 PM
Lol, I wonder if it's homemade.

Darcy Warner
09-18-2019, 8:52 PM

It looks typical of the era, order the cast components from the company of your choice and shop build the machine.

Hard to say who made the parts, but it could very well be made and sold by a company from that time.

Lots of wood framed machines still out there.

Mike Cutler
09-18-2019, 8:57 PM

If It is, It's done really well.
Someone put some time, work, and effort,into that. If it was closer, and I had more room, I'd consider going up and getting it.

Mark Hoffman
09-18-2019, 9:39 PM
Looks straight out of Little House on the Prairie

Darcy Warner
09-18-2019, 9:55 PM
If It is, It's done really well.
Someone put some time, work, and effort,into that. If it was closer, and I had more room, I'd consider going up and getting it.

If he could ship it, I would love to have it in my early woodworking machinery collection.

The first whitney planer was wood framed, wood framed moulders and sash stickers, all sorts of stuff.

I'm glad it hasn't been turned into furniture yet.

Joe Calhoon
09-21-2019, 9:43 AM
I found this wooden saw on some mining property. It was in the ruins of a smelter that been dismantled for timber and iron. I figure it had been sitting outside for at least 30 or 40 years. I stuck it under the porch of my shop to prevent further decay.
on close inspection it is well built despite the weathering. Mortise and tenon joints, some nice blacksmith work and the pulley that connected to the line shaft.
Curious if this was manufactured by a company or made locally by a skilled woodworker and blacksmith.