PDA

View Full Version : It pays to double check things before spending hours trying to find a tool!

Brian Elfert
09-07-2019, 8:37 PM
So, I have some metric studs with nuts on them. I thought the nuts were standard 17 mm head size based on having new replacement studs that I bought some regular nuts for. I never checked the head size on the actual nuts.

I was advised to only use a 6 point wrench on these nuts. I ran all over town looking for a 17 mm six point wrench. Everybody just has 12 point. I finally went to a pawn shop 30 minutes from home and they had a Craftsman USA six point 17 mm wrench for $3. They also had 16 mm and 18 mm wrenches so I bought those too. I went to use my 17 mm wrench and the nuts are smaller than normal and only 15 mm! I should have actually checked the nuts before running all over town and wasting two hours of my weekend.

Bruce Wrenn
09-07-2019, 9:01 PM
So, I have some metric studs with nuts on them. I thought the nuts were standard 17 mm head size based on having new replacement studs that I bought some regular nuts for. I never checked the head size on the actual nuts.

I was advised to only use a 6 point wrench on these nuts. I ran all over town looking for a 17 mm six point wrench. Everybody just has 12 point. I finally went to a pawn shop 30 minutes from home and they had a Craftsman USA six point 17 mm wrench for $3. They also had 16 mm and 18 mm wrenches so I bought those too. I went to use my 17 mm wrench and the nuts are smaller than normal and only 15 mm! I should have actually checked the nuts before running all over town and wasting two hours of my weekend.Don't feel too bad. I have a B&S engine that uses a size of socket that I don't have, to hold flywheel on. Finally after a days worth of trying everything I had, went into son's spare tool box and found right size socket, but was a 3/4 drive. Then I remembered that I had bought a socket and adapter to change WH elements. Using his socket, my adapter, and impact gun was able to get flywheel off. A day late and a dollar short!