PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Art For Our Home

Mark Singer
12-15-2005, 8:28 AM
When we were at Sam Maloof's a few weeks ago, he had a display of hollow vessels, vases and other wonderful pieces that he was collecting. Also he had many fine ceramic pieces such as the Mata Ortiz pottery I posted in the Design Forum. My wife and I have been collecting Museum quality pre Columbian Art from our travels for 30 years and I will soon be displaying it in cases that I will make in the home. These will be glass and steel and wood with great lighting.

I was thinking of having a section with fine wood turned objects from some of my friends at SMC. These would remain in our permantley displayed collection , in our home , Guest house and Studio. Identification of each artist will remain with each piece. Our home has been published in several magazines since it was constructed and is visted by oter artists, architects, collectors and museum directors on a regular basis. So the art work will be seen by many and could lead to other contacts and perhaps sales.
I know that many of the objects that each of you make are personal and for your own enjoyment and use. I know the feeling and I rarely make furniture for others, these days.....I have in te past, but I have been busy and my shop is full of personal projects. I described our situation so you would be assured your art would reside in a place where it is safe and will be enjoyed by many...
If your work is available for purchase, let me know , so I will not be embarresed to ask if I see an object I love on a Thread at SMC and it happens quite often! Thank you!

Carole Valentine
12-15-2005, 8:42 AM
I'd sell my brother if someone offered me a buck for him! LOL Oh, but you did specify "fine" wood turned objects...oh well, maybe a few years from now. ;)
Mark, I have a question. I am debating about display lighting as I am starting to build a little collection of pieces from other turners. What sort of lighting should be used in cabinets so that the heat and light will have the least effect on the wood?

Mark Singer
12-15-2005, 9:19 AM
I'd sell my brother if someone offered me a buck for him! LOL Oh, but you did specify "fine" wood turned objects...oh well, maybe a few years from now. ;)
Mark, I have a question. I am debating about display lighting as I am starting to build a little collection of pieces from other turners. What sort of lighting should be used in cabinets so that the heat and light will have the least effect on the wood?

First of all your work is terrific and I would love to have some of it displayed...If you post someting that catches my eye I will PM you,

The display case should have venting holes...the best lighting would be halogen, though hot...it is a whitr light. It shouldn't matter of the piece is dry...if it was turn green and out of round...not a problem..
Fluorescent and xenon would also be good. If you are showing the sillouette , ligt the backdrop. You can have 2 sources one also on the piece. Flourescent is available in a warm wave length.....like incandescent.

Carole Valentine
12-15-2005, 9:29 AM
Thanks, Mark. Another question: what about woods that tend to change when exposed to light, like Box Elder? Would certain types of lighting delay/accelerate that process? Right now I have pieces displayed in a nice mahogany corner cupboard that has flourescent lighting. Have no clue what the wave length is.

Mark Singer
12-15-2005, 9:58 AM
Thanks, Mark. Another question: what about woods that tend to change when exposed to light, like Box Elder? Would certain types of lighting delay/accelerate that process? Right now I have pieces displayed in a nice mahogany corner cupboard that has flourescent lighting. Have no clue what the wave length is.

They will change any way. ulta violet is everywhere and i think as a woodworker you need to plan on the final patina....paduck browm....mahogany darker and red...etc...

Jim Becker
12-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Mark, I'm a lover of displaying "real art" in the home and am glad you're going to add even more to your wonderful environment. One of the nice things about your architecture is that is really lends itself to displaying art and other interesting objects.

I hope I someday can create something worthy of such an environment!

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Mark,

I could always send you a Dennis Peacock Original.!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Charles E. Martin V
12-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Mark, do you have any links to pics or articles about your home? I'm now intrigued.

Raymond Overman
12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
After I sold the first piece, I never had a problem with selling any other piece I've turned. I am interested in seeing the articles.

Tyler Howell
12-15-2005, 1:27 PM
I am the proud owner of some fine works of art by Dennis Peacock, John Millinus, Dick Parr and spin doctor Ken Salisbury all signed and in a place of honor.:cool:

John Hart
12-15-2005, 2:00 PM
Sheesh...Are you kidding Mark? I'd pay YOU! If you ever saw anything I made that was worthy of display in your home...I'd sell Carole's brother to get it in there!;)

Mark Singer
12-15-2005, 2:46 PM
Sheesh...Are you kidding Mark? I'd pay YOU! If you ever saw anything I made that was worthy of display in your home...I'd sell Carole's brother to get it in there!;)

What does Caole's broter look like....I will start making a pedistal for him:rolleyes:

Dave Smith
12-15-2005, 2:47 PM
How much money you got Mark?

Everythigng I have is for sale. Problem is it ain't worth much. You are welcome to anything I have.

Dave Smith

One wake up then leaving for Hawaii in Longview, WA.

Mark Singer
12-15-2005, 3:18 PM
After I sold the first piece, I never had a problem with selling any other piece I've turned. I am interested in seeing the articles.
Here is a link:..Some are older articles...

http://marksingerarchitects.com/

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22583&highlight=western+interiors

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18618

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2005, 3:44 PM
Why stop with Carole's brother? Let's get rid of her at the same time and save on shipping charges:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lee DeRaud
12-15-2005, 3:54 PM
How much money you got Mark?

Everythigng I have is for sale. Problem is it ain't worth much. You are welcome to anything I have.(Memo to self: add a zero to the price tags before you let Singer see them.:cool: :eek: )

Loy Hawes
12-15-2005, 4:36 PM
Why stop with Carole's brother? Let's get rid of her at the same time and save on shipping charges:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

We can't do that! Carole is like the team mom. Who is going to bring us orange slices at half time?

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2005, 5:12 PM
We can't do that! Carole is like the team mom. Who is going to bring us orange slices at half time?

Normah or Kaopectatolah could.

Carole Valentine
12-15-2005, 6:33 PM
What does Caole's broter look like....I will start making a pedistal for him:rolleyes:

You could definitely classify him as Pre-Columbian!:D

Ernie Nyvall
12-15-2005, 9:13 PM
Wow, what an honor that would be. I'm with John... how much would you charge?

Ernie

Raymond Overman
12-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, that's some impressive space you have there! Beautiful lines and the view is amazing. Are you sure you won't take me and my family along with a few pieces of turnings? I would be honored to have a piece of mine among the artwork in your home.

Now I want to see pictures of the workshop! If it's half as beautiful as the home and furniture I definitely want to move there.

sascha gast
12-16-2005, 4:39 AM
Man, I love your house, I think I saw the article when it came out.

What kind of turnings are you looking for??

sascha

Mark Singer
12-16-2005, 7:28 AM
Man, I love your house, I think I saw the article when it came out.

What kind of turnings are you looking for??

sascha

I thought it would be nice to have a few display cases with some unique pieces ...you stuff is great! I like the idea that I know the artists through SMC and that most of you are emerging ....so the pieces would fall earlier in your potrfolio of work.... I haven't seen any of your stuff recently, what are you making? I have had lots people interesting important people that know art visit.... for example Richard Koshalek, President Of Art Center School of Design, formally Director of the MOCA in LA is an old friend http://www.artmag.com/museums/a_usa/auslamc/archi.html ...Igal and Diane Silber who have a world renown collectin of art that tours museums are old friends..., Ed Moses..., Peter Blake (Modern Gallery) http://www.peterblakegallery.com/pb_artist.htm is a very old friend and often vists with artists and collectors..Diane Nelson has been a freind for years and I designed her Gallery here in laguna 15 years ago...http://www.dianenelson.com/ ..We had our last home on many home tours...3 AIA tours...One Charm HouseTour , The Newport Harbor Architecture Tour, each tour has 500 to 1000 people!... The previous home won 2 AIA Honor Awards, the only house in the OC that ever won 2! It would expose the work of my SMC friends to an important group of the art interested public l....that is great exposure!
Thanks for your coments on my home...Come down and see me sometime..John Scane said he would visit too!

sascha gast
12-16-2005, 11:49 AM
we should do that, John and I should come by on some weekend.
I haven't seen john around in a while though.

I'd love to come down.
Here's what I have been up to, towards the end of the albumm is my newer stuff
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albur05&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php