PDA

View Full Version : My version of Mike's cutting board

Don Farr
07-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Mike has seen this before, but others may not have. Not as fancy as his but for my first try it's OK.
I would like to make another one but don't have the material now.

Brad Hammond
07-07-2003, 1:18 PM
Mike has seen this before, but others may not have. Not as fancy as his but for my first try it's OK.

great work!

Jason Roehl
07-07-2003, 1:29 PM
Looks real good to me!!

Von Bickley
07-07-2003, 2:01 PM
Don,

Looks real good. Thanks for sharing the picture with us.

Ron McNeil
07-07-2003, 3:07 PM
Don,

That's a good looking cutting board not bad for a first. The talent at Saw Mill Creek is outstanding.

Pete Lamberty
07-07-2003, 4:28 PM
Looks great Don. What kind of wood did ou use? Pete

Doug Jones
07-07-2003, 4:54 PM
I like the cutting board. You did a great job. I like the contrasting woods.

Its on my try to do list as well. Do you think white oak and cherry would work for such a project.

Tom Sweeney
07-07-2003, 5:03 PM
That's a fine looking cutting board - I'll try one - one of these days with some Cherry & maple I have - Course I have to finish the much simpler one I started a while ago.

Nice Work!

Jim Young
07-07-2003, 9:05 PM
Beatifull, it's mesmerizing. I can't help but stare at it.

Jim Becker
07-07-2003, 9:29 PM
What kind of wood did ou use?

I am thinking that is black walnut and maple...which is what I'll be making mine out of in my copious free time... :rolleyes:

Bob Lasley
07-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Don,

Looks like outstanding work to me. I would be proud to display that on my counter........not sure I would want to cut anything on it though.......to pretty for that!

Bob

Keith Starosta
07-08-2003, 6:05 AM
Don, I remember a little while back reading where a few members were offering to host Mike's pictures and techniques for creating that beautiful cutting board. Did that ever happen? I'd love to take a crack at making one myself.

Yours looks great, by the way!

Keith

Glenn Clabo
07-08-2003, 6:50 AM
Don, I remember a little while back reading where a few members were offering to host Mike's pictures and techniques for creating that beautiful cutting board. Did that ever happen? I'd love to take a crack at making one myself
Keith

Keith...It's in the Articles section.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=2692

Don Farr
07-08-2003, 7:55 AM
Thanks for the praises guys.
Pete, Jim got it correct, the wood that I used was maple and black walnut.

Doug, I'm not sure about the white oak. I know Mike does mention cherry is OK. I guess you could try it and see how it comes out. I would think it's OK if it is hard enough.

Keith, Check out the link that Glenn posted. These are the instructions that Mike gave me several months back. My stock TS fence was not accurate enough to use !/32" increments. So I made mine in 1/16" increments.

NOTE: Be sure to use long open time glue just as Mike suggest. I didn't and that give me the biggest problem of the whole project.

George Grubaugh
07-10-2003, 12:48 AM
Wow! Beautiful! I showed it to the LOML, mistake. Now I have one more project on " the list ". Great job, I'm truly impressed.

Mark Patoka
07-10-2003, 7:20 AM
Beautiful board, I'll have to try one in this style also. Just wanted to add my comment about using oak. I know it's been mentioned before that oak isn't recommended due to the porous nature of the wood. I just got back from visiting my mother and she still has the segmented multi-wood cutting board I made in Jr High Wood Shop 20+ years ago. The cherry, walnut and maple are holding up fine but the oak sections are definitely more worn down from all the cutting over the years. Stick with the close-grained wood.

Don Farr
07-10-2003, 7:41 AM
Mark, The testimony of time! You can't go wrong there. Good advise.