PDA

View Full Version : Amana 61218 adjustable insert cutterhead setup..

Mike Kees
09-03-2019, 11:13 PM
I just purchased this shaper cutter set for mission style doors. I have read through the instructions and get the basic setup,my groove fits my plywood insert panels perfect. I have the tongue cutter very close,it is bedtime now. My question for anyone who has used this set is , is there a method to center my cuts from both cutters in my stock ? Just wondering if there is a method I do not know yet rather than good old trial and error. Or should I say error and error again.:D thanks for any help,Mike.

Joe Calhoon
09-06-2019, 6:00 AM
Mike, no experience with that cutter. Are the adjustments within the cutter repeatable or are you setting it up as a dedicated head?
Assuming you are talking a manual shaper here are some shop made setup aids that can get you in the ballpark for height adjustments.
For fence adjustments a simple hook board is useful.
A digital height gauge is also useful.

Mike Kees
09-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Joe it is a two cutter set to make mission style doors using nomimal 1/4'' plywood for panels. The carbide insert cutters are adjustable from 3/16'' to 5/16'' to fit various thickness plywood. Adjustments have two gauges to repeat about 4 dimensions after that to fine tune you are on your own. Thanks for the pics,I will be making a couple of the gauges you have shown here. How does the hook board for fence adjustments work ?

Joe Calhoon
09-06-2019, 2:56 PM
Mike, if you zoom in on the shaper you will see the whole hook board. Just hook it on the table edge and bring the fence to it. The T23 has a nice fine adjust on the fence that makes it easier. Depending on what level of accuracy you need this will get you close.

Mike Kees
09-06-2019, 7:37 PM
Got it. Thanks.