PDA

View Full Version : The TOS won't let me say what I want to say

Dan Mages
12-15-2005, 12:26 AM
I hate plumbing.

I especially hate soldering pipes.

I spent the last 5 hours repiping the hot water pipes due to some nasty corroded pipes. I will post pics of the corrosion later. The terms of service will not let me explain how much I despise how I spent the past few hours... but what the heck...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/MISC/censored.png

Yes. I hate plumbing that much. Sorry if little kids saw that.

Note to self. Next time I need to do repipe, do be so damn cheap and call a plumber.

Dan

Keith Starosta
12-15-2005, 5:18 AM
Dan, one of the first real decisions I made before I started planning my basement finishing project was that any money I had to shell out to a professional plumber to get me hooked up was going to be more than worth it!!

Now that all the rough plumbing work has passed inspection, I realize that I was right. :D

Keith

John Hart
12-15-2005, 7:54 AM
My wife lost a gemstone out of her earring the other day. Down the drain it went. I said, "No problem, it's probably still in the trap". Took it apart, retrieved the stone, put it all back together. Now everything leaks...Including the little sink stopper lever thingy that had nothing to do with the disassembly in the first place!!!! I hate plumbing too.:mad: I don't know how people do it for a living.

Tyler Howell
12-15-2005, 8:11 AM
I love it! Sorry it's just me!:D

John Hart
12-15-2005, 8:14 AM
Oh Tyler...You're just too easy going!!!:rolleyes: You're gonna hafta learn how to properly hate plumbing. Come to my house!;) :D

Michael Gabbay
12-15-2005, 8:16 AM
Dan - I totally agree! I just finished a bathroom remodel and the plumbing was the biggest pain in the you know what!!!

Steve Clardy
12-15-2005, 9:43 AM
I do not envy plumbers. Lol

Jim Becker
12-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I hear you...when we first moved into this property, we had to deal with a lot of pipe replacement, too. Some "plumber" installed some type M intermixed with type L and the M was pinholed all over the place. In fact, we had to gut the powder room to fix a major set of pinholes since the crawl space under it was not enough for even a child to get in to fix from below. I hear you! (I hate sweating pipe, too...)

Randy Meijer
12-15-2005, 2:20 PM
I'm with Tyler!!

But there is no doubt that is can be frustrating sometimes..... especially if you don't have the proper tools.....which many people don't!!

Alan Tolchinsky
12-15-2005, 2:50 PM
I don't mind sweating copper pipe at all. And most of the plastic stuff is easy to solvent weld together. What specifically do you hate?

With copper pipe sweating ,the most important thing is to get the pipe completely dry or else no go. The other thing is always work with clean copper by sanding it or wire brushing the joints. If you follow those two things it's very easy to do. Now I've never plumbed a whole house, if that's what you mean, but I've done a lot of repairs/additions to my system including replacing my hot water heater.

Now there are plenty things I do hate ..... like removing wallpaper and then all the glue, and changing oil in my car in the winter etc., etc. And lots of other things. The lucky man gets to choose what he likes and does that leaving the unpleasant stuff to others. Have a good day.

Dan Mages
12-15-2005, 3:22 PM
Here is a closeup of the corrosion on the pipe. It goes down most of the pipe, almost 6 ft.

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/Basement%20work/100_1019.jpg

Lee DeRaud
12-15-2005, 4:00 PM
I don't mind sweating copper pipe at all. And most of the plastic stuff is easy to solvent weld together. What specifically do you hate?For me, it's the hours of digging/cutting/whatever required to get to the pipe in question, and the hours of fill-in/repair/painting/whatever to cover it up when I'm done...the 15 minutes of actual "plumbing" is a piece of cake.:eek:

Anthony Anderson
12-15-2005, 4:03 PM
Keep Thinking to yourself, Theater Room, Theater Room, Theater Room. It will all be worth while, when you set down to enjoy it, trust me. BTW I am currently building A/V cabinetry for the theater room. I will post some pics. Later, Bill

Alan Tolchinsky
12-15-2005, 4:48 PM
For me, it's the hours of digging/cutting/whatever required to get to the pipe in question, and the hours of fill-in/repair/painting/whatever to cover it up when I'm done...the 15 minutes of actual "plumbing" is a piece of cake.:eek:

Yep, Ain't that the truth.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-15-2005, 4:51 PM
Here is a closeup of the corrosion on the pipe. It goes down most of the pipe, almost 6 ft.

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/Basement%20work/100_1019.jpg

Dan, That is a mess. I can hardly tell it's copper. It looks like you've had a long standing leak with all the calcium deposits on that pipe. Hang in there, you'll get it or if it seems overwhelming call for the calvary. :)

Don Baer
12-15-2005, 6:00 PM
I
With copper pipe sweating ,the most important thing is to get the pipe completely dry or else no go. The other thing is always work with clean copper by sanding it or wire brushing the joints.

A trick my dad taught me one sweatii copper ling when you are replaceing existing lins and there might be water trapped in the line that want to keep going towards the heat is to stuff some bread in the line to act as a Dam. Then when you are done just turn on the water and the bread will desolve. Works like a charm.

Norman Hitt
12-15-2005, 7:55 PM
I guess I have to go along with Lee, Alan & Don. I kinda enjoy sweating copper, PVC is a real snap, and Don's tip works really well too. I'm like Lee, 'cause I REALLY HATE all the work getting to the plumbing, and even more, repairing and refinishing everything that had to be torn out, busted up or dug up to get to it, Now working with Cast iron............that's a whole 'nuther story, especially if you don't have the right tools to do it with.

Something even worse than plumbing problems, is trying to run down and correct intermittant problems that develop with age in electrical systems, that are caused by shoddy and incorrect installation during the original construction. That will make you pull your hair out for real.

Jerry Olexa
12-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Sometimes esp w plumbing, its best to hire a professional. Stick to your knitting or do what ur best at,,,,

Jerry Clark
12-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Anyone that complains about sweating copper pipes don't know how it was when drain pipes were connected and hot melted lead was poured into the joints for a seal-:eek: and all water pipes had to be cut and threaded. :rolleyes: Plumbers have it easy now with PVC and copper pipe. One rule is when you take a drain apart under the sink-- replace everything with new!:D

Ed Breen
12-19-2005, 2:55 PM
HoHo Jerry,
You hit the button. Many years ago I got tired of using coal for the furnace and wanted to switch to oil. (late 60's) My furnace was an old one which I was able to rebrick, and install and oil burner. But, on top of that I was heating the second floor and decided to do away with the radiators and go to perimeter heating. I hired a helper who showed up with a cooper cutter and a propane torch. I handed him a 24" wrench and we got started. I ended up giving him 1,2,3,.4 series of instructions. but we did finally complete the job.
One other interesting thing about that home, I had to removce some siding to add a new kitchen, and all the studs were full cut 2x4's and each had its number carved in roman numerals. Alos very few nails in that structure./
Ed:rolleyes: