PDA

View Full Version : Small project created with a bit of history

Joe Unni
12-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey all,

Some of you may or may not know that my shop is smack in the middle of the old mill town of Lawrence Massachusetts.

I was doing some side work in another old mill (circa ~1900) and acquired a few of the old floor boards. Later that same day after having pondered a number of small projects that could be created by the "black gold" (see below), I received an invitation to submit a piece to a local art auction. Its theme - lanterns and recycling.

I thought what a perfect match, take some of old Lawrence and turn it into something special. By the way, the hosting organizations whole mission is educating the community on the value of conservation and recycling.

The lanterns have been on display for about a week and will culminate with a Gala evening and silent auction where which the artist will receive 50% of whatever the piece fetches.

The first photo is kind of a before/after of the wood that was used. The wood turned out to be birch (I could tell by the smell while cutting). The rails and stiles are all M&T. The sides are screwed and plugged together and the top and bottom are just screwed for easy removal. And it's finished with spray lacquer and wax - per SMC members recommendations.

By the way the glass and the top two screws (you can't see them) are also recycled from the old mill.

Thanks for looking,
-joe

Corey Hallagan
12-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Nice, Joe, real nice. Great looking projects from some great old wood! Thanks for the pics and good luck at the auction.

Corey

Joe Unni
12-15-2005, 4:55 PM
Thanks Corey!

I'm just getting ready for it now. The Gala (auction) itself is a creative black tie event.

As a woodworker I thought it fitting that I wear a wooden black tie created from the same wood the lantern is made of. After some sanding and a coat of Kiwi Black it's ready for prime time.

I'll keep you posted on the auction.

Thanks again,
-joe

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2005, 5:10 PM
Great job Joe. Looks very nice. That is a fantastic project out of some great old wood.