PDA

View Full Version : New small/quiet compressor review

Rick Potter
08-31-2019, 12:35 AM
My 10 year old Senco 1010 compressor will no longer reach cutoff pressure, just runs continuously. I loved that little thing, and used it in the shop often when just running a brad nailer, etc.

I sent to Amazon for a new one, and when it arrived it would not even run, so I sent it back. After looking around, I started looking at other small compressors and happened upon a sale at Lowes on Kobalt compressors.

They had two that were rated at 60 Db. The smaller one was on sale for $139, and the one I bought was the same basic dimensions except for being a little taller because of a second tank above the first.
It puts out 150# pressure, 1 HP, 2.4CFM @ 90#, 4.3 Gal tank(s). I paid $187 for it, and it has a three year warranty.

It is twice the physical size of my trusty old Senco, but what I was after most was quiet, and it is. I ran it side by side with the Senco and they sound about the same to me. I figure the bigger unit will fit still more of my needs, as well as quiet if I need to take it in my house or a rental. It has 6" wheels, and an extending handle so I can take it up stairs etc. It sure looks to me like a California compressor lookalike, with a low RPM motor and two pistons.

Just opened the box tonight, but I timed it at 90 PSI in one minute, and 150# PSI shutoff at 2 min 29 sec. And it's quiet.

I probably won't be running my 5HP compressor too much any more.

On sale till Sept 4th, if I remember right.

Ron Selzer
08-31-2019, 10:31 AM
Just got a California (rated at 57 db) for use at work, I believe it is quieter than my Senco at home.
pumps up quick, have not had the opportunity to use it yet. bought it cause I was tired of dragging my Senco to work

glenn bradley
08-31-2019, 11:01 AM
Another California Air fan here. Looks like the Kobalt uses the same basic design. Isn't it nice to not jump out of your skin when the air compressor kicks on? There's just a sort of "thrummmm", no screaming banshee.

Bernie Kopfer
09-02-2019, 5:08 PM
Does anyone know what the amperage draw is at startup for these quiet compressors. They seem to run on less than equivalent psi noisy ones. But startup is the question. We have problems with current draw in Guatemala at startup, so we’re hoping these might be less enough to be used there.

Mark Carlson
09-02-2019, 5:48 PM
I recently got the hitachi (1 gal) which runs at 59db. It kinda just hums. Its great for a brad nailer in the shop which I now use all the time because its so quiet. I always dreaded starting the bigger compressor for a few brads.

Jerome Stanek
09-02-2019, 7:03 PM
I have the California air 1 gallon that replaced a Sears pancake I use around the place. So all together I have the California, Sears, a Dayton 3 hp 20 gallon and a Quincy 5 hp for the shop. Each one has it's use.