PDA

View Full Version : Let me lead you into temptation

Dave Anderson NH
07-07-2003, 11:48 AM
For those of you galootish hand tool types who live in New England this weekend is a biggie. Friday and Saturday is the annual summer version of Martin Donneley's Live Free or Die auction in Hillsboro Center NH. For the uninitiated, Friday is preview and auction of the first 500 or so lots of tools and Saturday is the auction of the rest and the flea market/tailgate session. It's always a great event with lots to do and watch, and even if you don't want to spend any cash there are plenty of things to see and a great bunch of folks to talk with. The flea market starts at DAWN on Saturday morning and the best deals are usually gone by 9AM. Things tend to wind down by early to mid afternoon.

If anyone is interested, I'll be there both days and maybe we can share a soda and lunch.

Roger Myers
07-07-2003, 4:14 PM
For those of you galootish hand tool types who live in New England this weekend is a biggie. Friday and Saturday is the annual summer version of Martin Donneley's Live Free or Die auction in Hillsboro Center NH. For the uninitiated, Friday is preview and auction of the first 500 or so lots of tools and Saturday is the auction of the rest and the flea market/tailgate session. It's always a great event with lots to do and watch, and even if you don't want to spend any cash there are plenty of things to see and a great bunch of folks to talk with. The flea market starts at DAWN on Saturday morning and the best deals are usually gone by 9AM. Things tend to wind down by early to mid afternoon.

If anyone is interested, I'll be there both days and maybe we can share a soda and lunch.
Dave - I'll be there Friday and Saturday....Our anniversary was this week and I was told that my present is waiting for me to select it in Hillsboro :)
See you there!!
Roger

Dave Anderson NH
07-08-2003, 9:01 AM
and I'm glad to see you have an avatar on the site now.

Ed Falis
07-08-2003, 1:12 PM
Dave,

I don't know why, but everytime I see the title of this thread and think about its contents, I hear strains of "Sympathy for the Devil" in the background.

- Ed

Dave Anderson NH
07-08-2003, 2:53 PM
sin and the devil. My lead line about temptation was from one of my favorite quotes:

Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it by myself !!!

Charles McKinley
07-08-2003, 4:34 PM
Hi Dave,

Does this always happen the second Friday and Saturday of July? If not How can I get some advanced notice of this event? No way I could make it this year but it sounds like an awesome road trip.

Dave Anderson NH
07-09-2003, 9:44 AM
HI Charlie-

Usually the summer auction is the weekend after the Fourth of July holiday. This helps it coincide with the Brimfield MA antiques week flea market. This is a huge market which runs for 3-4 days and draws from all over the country. The other NH auctions run by Donnelly are in April and September in Nashua at the Holiday Inn. Best check his website at www.mjdtools.com for full info, his annual schedule, and lists of tools being sold (with pictures). I've done well over the years at both the tailgate session and the auctions themselves. Having said that, he systematically rates a lot of the stuff higher than anyone else around when he describes condition. Seldom is anything listed as less than Good. The photos also are brightened and they usually look less attractive in real life. As with any auction, careful inspection for correct parts, missing parts, cracked or broken parts, and other defects are an absolute necessity. All tool auctions are sold "as is" and only you can determine whether something is a good deal or a kludge.

Charles McKinley
07-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link and information. Maybe LOML and the SWMBOetts can make it up next year.

The last Sunday of the month there is a big antique flea market at the Meadows racetrack south of Pittsburgh. There used to be a handfull of tool dealers there, but I haven't made it there yet this year.

Happy hunting

Doug Littlejohn
07-09-2003, 3:32 PM
I live on the left coast and when it comes to handtools, we just don't have much out here like you do back there. I wish I could go to such events but all I can do is read you guys gloating about it.

BTW, I thought it was supposed to be 'deliver me FROM temptation' :D

Have fun and enjoy the fellowship.