PDA

View Full Version : Wrap buried brass fittings with silicone tape?

Stephen Tashiro
08-28-2019, 3:22 PM
Is wrapping buried brass fittings in silicone tape a good idea and a standard practice?

A page on the Sharkbyte website ( https://www.sharkbite.com/resources/video/how-wrapping-sharkbiter-fittings-underground-installations ) says

As you may already know, our SharkBite fittings are made of brass, which is susceptible to corrosion when exposed to severe ground conditions. Any underground application of SharkBite fittings must be wrapped in order to maintain the 25 year warranty.

Sharkbyte makes other fittings besides their famous press-on fittings. I assume those remarks also apply to brass fittings that require clinch clamps and crimp rings.

Dave Anderson NH
08-28-2019, 5:30 PM
I will preface by saying I am not a plumber so I don't know if it is standard practice. Brass is definitely going to be effected by burying. Silicone rubber is the longest lived of all rubbers and the least effected by environmental conditions. If you wrap with anything it would be a good choice.

Stephen Tashiro
08-29-2019, 12:47 AM
The video in the link from my previous post shows wrapping a press-on fitting. From the Sharkbite web pages on crimp fittings, you can get to Sharkbites's warranty. https://www.sharkbite.com/sites/g/files/rgohfh321/files/2019-07/RWC_Warranty_07032019.pdf Under "What are the conditions for this warranty", it says

2. The installer must use construction techniques compliant with then applicable codes to install the product and use the product within the design parameters specified in any installation guidelines and technical notes for the applicable system. This shall include field pressure testing prior to concealing with concrete or by other means and wrapping any brass fitting when buried. Failure to install RWC products according to manufacturer’s installation instruction will void all applicable warranties and may result in severe water damage

Steve Rozmiarek
08-31-2019, 9:42 AM
What are you burying? Plastic is generally your friend with burial pipe.

Jerome Stanek
08-31-2019, 3:51 PM
When I put my water line in back in 2008 I had the choice of plastic or copper. With plastic the meter would be out at the street and with copper it is in my basement I went with copper as it was more but the meter and vault would bring the price to just $100 difference and if there is a leak in the line it would not cause the meter to spin.