PDA

View Full Version : Protecting a Painted Finish

Ray Bersch
12-14-2005, 8:40 PM
My daughter just finished painting her kitchen cabinets - nice job, too - but is disappointed with the poly she used to protect the paint - seems the edges chip easily. She used a Ben Moore product Stays Clear Acrylic Polyurethane for "floors and trim" - I guess that is what was recommended by the instructions she followed. She has applied several coats and still finds that the paint chips easily. I checked the edges of her doors and drawers and there is not a build-up of paint that may be the cause. Perhaps the poly simply has not yet cured completely - been only a few days. Her surface prep was appropriate - the original stained finish was sanded and cleaned. The antique finish required several coats and she allowed several days between coats - and did the light sanding between coats.

Is there another product that will protect the edges better or is this just the nature of the beast?

Ray

Jim Becker
12-15-2005, 11:24 AM
What kind of paint did she use?? Putting varnish over a soft finish (like latex paint) is always going to be problematic. That's why the pros will paint with oil-based paint and leave it at that for kitchen cabinet refinishing.

Phil Phelps
12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
If you say it "chips", I'd say the urethane has dried. It sounds as if it hasn't adhered to the surface. It won't cure for a month or more, though. If she bought the urethane from a "real paint store" ask them, they are pros. As Jim said, a hard finish over a soft finish is not ideal. Did she sand, or steel wool, between clear coats?

Ray Bersch
12-17-2005, 10:55 PM
"Did she sand, or steel wool, between clear coats?"
Phil, she sanded - and after talking with some paint guys at the local woodworking show this weekend, I am thinking that neither the urathane or the paint has cured - as you said, it may take some months for the whole thing to cure properly so it appears that patience and care are in order.

I replaced the hardware and rehung the doors today and did not find excessive chiping - perhaps she found some areas with paint buildup that were more easily chipped - lets wait this one out and I'll report back in a month or so.
Thanks guys.
Ray