PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Forstner & Router Bits

Keith Starosta
12-14-2005, 7:39 PM
Simple question: What method can be used to sharpen both forstner and double-fluted router bits? I can't decide what is the most important factor to me, be it the quickest way, the most effective way, or the cheapest way. :rolleyes:

And and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

- Keith

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 8:15 PM
You can hone the flat side of the edges with a diamond hone to sharpen them up a bit.

Alan Turner
12-14-2005, 9:25 PM
An auger file will sharpen forstner bits, and hand brace augers, and multi spur bits, all quite quickly. About $7 at MSC Direct, and other places I am sure.

Charles McCracken
12-15-2005, 7:50 AM
Keith,

Forstners are basically two rotary chisels and are sharpened as such. Router bits should not be sharpened without special equipment that can maintain the balance and ensure that the exact same amount of material is removed from each flute. Otherwise the bit will vibrate and you could end up with only one flute doing the cutting. Also, carbide requires diamond abrasives to sharpen and coolant should be used to reduce the heat buildup. HTH.

Charles M
Freud America, Inc.

Simple question: What method can be used to sharpen both forstner and double-fluted router bits? I can't decide what is the most important factor to me, be it the quickest way, the most effective way, or the cheapest way. :rolleyes:

And and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

- Keith