PDA

View Full Version : Just for starters

steven c newman
08-26-2019, 4:04 PM
Picked 4 boards at Lowes, this morning....killing a bit of time before Lunch. Boards are Poplar. Size is 1/2" x 5-1/2" x 24"....

Still have a few leftovers in the shop....and a 4/4 x 6 x 6' spalted Ash plank. been going back through some of my projects from over the years....

While letting the new boards get used to the house/shop....will be letting the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up doodle away....and see what I could build in September.

Hmmm...don't need another desk, have plenty of chest of drawers, haven't done finger/box joints in a while....may resaw and glue up a few fancy panels out of Ash...hmmm, we'll see..

Stay tuned....

Andrew Pitonyak
08-26-2019, 4:39 PM
For a second, lets ignore the fact that I have two projects active at this time.... Well, three really, but, I have been thinking about making a box to hold "stamps" used to leave a pattern in a wax seal (think fountain pens and similar).

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71nTLDX5CCL._SL1280_.jpg

I probably own 40 or more stamps. I was thinking about a box where it would lie flat and have the seal above it, but, really, to save space, i should probably make it deeper so that the stamp would stand on end so that I could get more in a smaller space (but it would be thicker). I suppose I could even have the stamp side up so that you can see the stamp. I would need to ponder if I could then have a sample stamp sitting on top of that to take even less space (length and width anyway). I need to think about how to best house them.

Jim Koepke
08-26-2019, 5:34 PM
I have been thinking about making a box to hold "stamps" used to leave a pattern in a wax seal

How about a thick piece of wood and drill holes with a forstener or auger to hold the stamps on end?

jtk

steven c newman
08-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Thinking an outer case of the spalted Ash...Maybe some shelves, or drawers with the poplar...might have enough leftovers to make some drawer fronts from the Ash scraps....

maybe a "Cupboard" sort of thing...to better store the smaller tools? And have it sit beside the saw til....

Still working out the details....stay tuned...

Andrew Pitonyak
08-28-2019, 10:50 AM
How about a thick piece of wood and drill holes with a forstener or auger to hold the stamps on end?

jtk

I have pondered this and I think you are right. I can even modify things so that there is an angled cut next to the hole for a place to put an instance of the stamp that will take less room. I can use rubber cement glue to hold it in place. It is some stuff I use when I do magic shows that is easily removable but will hold it in place.

steven c newman
08-28-2019, 5:34 PM
Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has come up with an idea.....a tool box, to sit between the saw til, and the mitre box. Might involve a few panel glue-ups....and build a few tool drawers, too. Have a 1/2" x 12" x 16" solid Walnut panel.....might use it for an insert in the lid.....

Might have a length of steel, to act as locking rods?

Haven't drawn up anything...yet...maybe after this weekend? Need to pull an inventory of all the scraps on hand, too.

Thinking more on a few deep drawers, instead of a whole raft of shallow ones...maybe 2" or 3" deep ones...maybe two "banks" of drawers?

back of the chest might be a 1/4" plywood panel....groove, or rebate? have to see what the lid will turn out to be, too.....

Stay tuned....