PDA

View Full Version : Tool Stores in VA?

Keith Starosta
07-07-2003, 9:57 AM
Good morning, Gentlemen! I've been lurking at the Saw Mill for a couple of weeks now, but this is my first post. I've been somewhat interested in woodworking for as long as I can remember, but have just very recently decided that it would become my new "passion". The words and pictures posted by you guys are an inspiration indeed.

Today's question goes out to any/all of my Central Virginia Brethren out there. Other than the Big Box stores, are there any actual tool stores in the area? I'm fairly new to the Fredericksburg area and would love to start rooting out all the "toy" stores.

Thanks, guys!!

Keith

Greg Wandless
07-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Keith,

While it be a bit of a drive for you, there is WOODCRAFT in Springfield, and Fries Beall & Sharp in Lorton VA.

Check your yellow pages.

Cheers,
Greg

Bobby Hatfield
07-07-2003, 1:17 PM
Keith, check out Earls, if it is still there, lots of Delta goodies, then another place downtown with Powermatic. I'm sure they sold the ones I drooled on some time back while on a visit. Maybe Byron Trantham will chime in here, he lives there in Fburg.

Von Bickley
07-07-2003, 2:13 PM
Keith,
I don't know anything about wood stores in VA, but I'm glad to see you posting at the Creek. Lots of good people here that enjoy talking about wood working.

Keith Outten
07-07-2003, 2:46 PM
Keith S.

I used to live in Spotsylvania County in the 70's. In the old section of downtown Fredricksburg you will find "Fredricksburg Hardware" and it's absolutely a great place to visit. Not exactly a tool store but it dates from Colonial times and they still have some antiques hanging on the walls. You have to visit this store, it's like stepping back in time.

Welcome to SawMill Creek!

Don Abele
07-07-2003, 5:11 PM
Keith, I'm a bit of a lurker as well. And I'm in eastern Virginia (Chesapeake). Recently transferred from Washington State to Norfolk so I'm in the same situation. Looking for woodworking stores in the area. I "lost" my tablesaw in the move and will be replacing it soon and would love to be able to check out a few models "up close and personal" but seems like I'll have to base everything on reviews and opionions gleened here. I've not been able to find anything out here where I am.

If anyone knows of something in VA east of Richmond, please pass that along as well - especially wood suppliers.

Be well,

Doc

Keith Starosta
07-07-2003, 9:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Greg, I actually work in Tysons Corner, so I pass through Lorton and Springfield everyday. I might have to make a detour one of these days. :cool:

Bobby, I live about three miles from Earl's. It's a great rental place, and is where I buy all of my Scott's products. Thanks for the suggestion!

Keith, I will definitely be checking out that hardware store. I love living in such a historically-rich area. It's a damn far sight better than the first suburb north of Detroit, which is where I came from.

Again, thanks for the replies guys!

Byron Trantham
07-08-2003, 8:10 AM
Keith, I live in Fredericksburg also. The stores mentioned are the only ones I know of. My favorite shopping places are the Internet and catalogs. I hate going to Woodcraft for two reasons, one its a 90 mile round trip drive through H... and two they have too many things to buy! ;) I bough my Delta Limited Edition Unisaw from Sharps in Lorton. Their price was better than anything I could find on the Internet. $1500 complete.

If you would (no pun here ;) ) like to send me an off-line email, maybe we could meet. I live in Fox Point off of Smith Station Road.

BTW, there is a great source for rough cut lumber about 4 miles from my house, J. C. Forrest. They have oak, alder, birch, cherry, poplar and several other species.

Pete Fox
07-08-2003, 1:28 PM
Byron,

I live in North Stafford off route 610. I've seen Sharps at the Woodworking show in Centerville, but I've never been to their store. Where in Lorton are they located??

Also, do you have a phone number (or directions!) for J.C Forest? I'd love to stop by sometime....

Thanks!
Pete

Keith, I live in Fredericksburg also. The stores mentioned are the only ones I know of. My favorite shopping places are the Internet and catalogs. I hate going to Woodcraft for two reasons, one its a 90 mile round trip drive through H... and two they have too many things to buy! ;) I bough my Delta Limited Edition Unisaw from Sharps in Lorton. Their price was better than anything I could find on the Internet. $1500 complete.

If you would (no pun here ;) ) like to send me an off-line email, maybe we could meet. I live in Fox Point off of Smith Station Road.

BTW, there is a great source for rough cut lumber about 4 miles from my house, J. C. Forrest. They have oak, alder, birch, cherry, poplar and several other species.

Pete Fox
07-08-2003, 1:36 PM
Welcome to the area Keith! I live in Stafford, but I'd move down to F'burg/Spotsy in a second if I didn't have to work up in DC. You've got quite the commute yourself....

I like the guys up at the Springfield Woodcraft. I'm sure Herb will take good care of you!

Pete

Good morning, Gentlemen! I've been lurking at the Saw Mill for a couple of weeks now, but this is my first post. I've been somewhat interested in woodworking for as long as I can remember, but have just very recently decided that it would become my new "passion". The words and pictures posted by you guys are an inspiration indeed.

Today's question goes out to any/all of my Central Virginia Brethren out there. Other than the Big Box stores, are there any actual tool stores in the area? I'm fairly new to the Fredericksburg area and would love to start rooting out all the "toy" stores.

Thanks, guys!!

Keith

Keith Starosta
07-08-2003, 9:01 PM

Byron,
Is JC Forrest the place right on the corner of Lafayette Dr? I've seen that place and have always wanted to stop. I'll drop you a line...

Richard Gillespie
07-08-2003, 9:40 PM
I lived in Fredericksburg from 73 to 87. Moved to Dumfries to get away from the traffic. In my opinion Fredericksburg Hardware at that time was wonderful, like a page out of the 40's and 50's.

On my last trip there recently I found that the store had been bought by one of the chain hardware stores. They have remodeled and completely changed their layout. This has resulted in a vast reduction of what is carried. I doubt that I will ever find reason to go back.

I try to stay away from Woodcraft in Springfield. I've already left too much of my money there. They always seem to have something I'm dying to own.

Keith Outten
07-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Richard,

I worked at North Anna Power station during the construction of both units in the 70"s and then worked for Vepco Operations for a couple years. I used to really enjoy visiting the old hardware store and it's sad that some large corporation has ruined one of the last remaining real hardware stores in America. I was planning to visit FH next month on my way to the 5 Barns Picnic. I can remember looking at tree climbers, horse collars and even hand made iron nails...and some stuff that hadn't been sold commercially in a hundred years. What a treasure.

I lived in Fredericksburg from 73 to 87. Moved to Dumfries to get away from the traffic. In my opinion Fredericksburg Hardware at that time was wonderful, like a page out of the 40's and 50's.

On my last trip there recently I found that the store had been bought by one of the chain hardware stores. They have remodeled and completely changed their layout. This has resulted in a vast reduction of what is carried. I doubt that I will ever find reason to go back.

Bill Sampson
07-09-2003, 8:20 AM
Keith, I'm a bit of a lurker as well. And I'm in eastern Virginia (Chesapeake). Recently transferred from Washington State to Norfolk so I'm in the same situation. Looking for woodworking stores in the area. I "lost" my tablesaw in the move and will be replacing it soon and would love to be able to check out a few models "up close and personal" but seems like I'll have to base everything on reviews and opionions gleened here. I've not been able to find anything out here where I am.

If anyone knows of something in VA east of Richmond, please pass that along as well - especially wood suppliers.

Be well,

Doc
Doc, Blue Ridge Hardwood in Va Beach may be what you are looking for. They have a decent supply of hardwood and also major tools. Located at 5111A Witchduck Ct., Va. Beach. As usual, no connection, but a satisfied customer. Bill Sampson, Richmond

Frank Carpenter
07-13-2003, 9:17 PM

Be well,

Doc

Don,

We have a very good tool dealer right here in Virginia Beach. It is Blue Ridge Hardwoods and is located off Witchduck Road. We also have a woodworking club that you might want to check out. Here is the website.

http://www.twwwg.com

Frank

Don Abele
07-14-2003, 2:35 PM
Bill and Frank, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out this week. It's a bit of a drive, but worth it if they sell good stuff and good prices. And it's always nice to be able to lay my hands on a piece of equipment before purchasing it. Thanks again.

Be well,

Doc

Ted Shrader
07-14-2003, 3:05 PM
Bill and Frank, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out this week. It's a bit of a drive, but worth it if they sell good stuff and good prices. And it's always nice to be able to lay my hands on a piece of equipment before purchasing it. Thanks again.

Be well,

Doc

Doc (SS) -

For saw blades, sandpaper, etc, Sure Set Saw in Chesapeake is a good place. At Blue Ridge Hardwoods in Va Bch, Harry Waters can hook you up for Jet/Powermatic Tools.

Keith -

If you go south, in Richmond there is Harper's Hardware in the old downtown part. Carry various lines of tools. You can visit the Woodcraft out in the west part of town while there.

Somebody else already mentioned Freis, Beall, and Sharp in Lorton. Worth a stop on your way home from work.

Some Links:
<a href="http://www.fries-beall-sharp-inc.com/">Fries, Beall and Sharp</a>
<a href="http://www.brwoodworking.com/">Blue Ridge Hardwoods</a>

Good luck guys (and welcome!)

Ted

Chip Wright
07-14-2003, 6:29 PM
Pleasant's Hardware on Broad Street and the Woodcraft, just off Broad a mile or so from Pleasants, are both pretty good sources.