PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw guides question.

Carlos Cabrera
12-14-2005, 4:17 PM
I am looking at upgrading the guides on my Minimax 16 with either the Carter Bandsaw guides or the new Laguna guides. Does anyone have experience with the new guides ? Can the new Laguna guides be used with standard 1/4 inch blades ? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Carlos Cabrera

Dan Larson
12-14-2005, 5:28 PM
Although I have no experience with the Carter guides, my saw does have the ceramic Laguna guides. They work well for me-- easy to adjust and they support the blade well. I've run a 1/4" blade with no problems. Laguna tells me that this is the smallest blade I should run with these guides.

Dan

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 5:36 PM
I happen to like the stock Euro guides on my MM16, but also have the MM "cool blocks" guides for small blade use. Carters are nice, but I've never felt the need. I am not particularly fond of the idea of the ceramic guides for some reason...

Reg Mitchell
12-14-2005, 7:27 PM
I have a set of carter rollers and they work great on my 17 " griggly. I was luck enough to get a set at a discount price as a tester for the ones i have. They really help the drift on my saw.:)

Norman Hitt
12-14-2005, 7:31 PM
For the larger blades, I would not consider the Carter guides to be an upgrade over the Euro Guides, and for the small blades, cool blocks would be my choice.

Richard Wolf
12-14-2005, 8:17 PM
I have the MM20 and put the Laguna guides on. It was the main thing about Laguna that I liked. There is very little doubt about setting the guides, they work very well. If money is of a concern, I'm not completly sure they are a nessecary upgrade, but I do like them.

Richard

lou sansone
12-14-2005, 9:49 PM
I have a set of carter rollers and they work great on my 17 " griggly. I was luck enough to get a set at a discount price as a tester for the ones i have. They really help the drift on my saw.:)

hi reg
what is a "griggly" ? :D :D I think you mean grizzly, but after a long day at work reading about a griggly just cracked me up... thanks

lou

Neil Bosdet
12-14-2005, 10:17 PM
I recently spent a "bunch" of time debating the same thing for my Laguna LT18. I would have gone with the Carter guides but they don't make them to fit my Laguna yet. I bought the Laguna ceramic guides and am thankful that the Carter option wasn't available. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate, I'd buy the ceramic guides. They are definitely a significant upgrade and yes, they are expensive. This is for you to justify. I'm pleased with my decision considering I wasn't pleased with the Euro guides.

Neil

Norman Gallaher
12-15-2005, 7:03 PM
REg,

I also have a 17" Griz. It is an older model 1538. It is a wonderful band saw. I have one guestion. It takes 111" blades where is the best place to get good blades other than from Griz?

Norm