PDA

View Full Version : Best reason ever for owning a bandsaw

Mark Katz
08-20-2019, 11:02 AM
For when you need to make a simple straight cut and your tablesaw is indisposed!

Ted Calver
08-20-2019, 11:21 AM
So true, but wait until both the table saw and the bandsaw are indisposed and you end up making the cut with a handsaw.:D:D

Rod Sheridan
08-20-2019, 12:08 PM
So true, but wait until both the table saw and the bandsaw are indisposed and you end up making the cut with a handsaw.:D:D

At that point Ted, what is needed is the fabrication of a push block.

Use said push block to push all that crap into the dustbin, problem solved.:D..............Rod.

andy bessette
08-20-2019, 2:41 PM
...Use said push block to push all that crap into the dustbin...

....This....

Lisa Starr
08-20-2019, 3:44 PM
My rule is NOTHING....EVER..... is set on the table saw. It is not a bench and I will not risk something getting spilled on it. Both dear hubby and our son understand this rule is non-negotiable. :)

Ben Rivel
08-20-2019, 4:41 PM
My rule is NOTHING....EVER..... is set on the table saw. It is not a bench and I will not risk something getting spilled on it. Both dear hubby and our son understand this rule is non-negotiable. :)
Same. I never use mine as a table or work top.

Prashun Patel
08-20-2019, 4:58 PM
"My rule is NOTHING....EVER..... is set on the table saw. It is not a bench and I will not risk something getting spilled on it."

Me too.
100%.
I never* violate this rule.

* read, perpetually.

Mel Fulks
08-20-2019, 5:02 PM
Being inflexible on good rules is a sure sign of competence ....and at least a "good indicator" that you have 10 fingers !

andy bessette
08-20-2019, 6:09 PM
My rule is NOTHING....EVER..... is set on the table saw...

Normally this is how mine is treated. But, when I am preparing to do large, complex glue-ups, virtually all the horizontal surfaces in my shop, including my 3 full size table saws, are first covered in polyurethane sheeting and then used as work tables for spreading epoxy glue on the components.

Andrew Hughes
08-20-2019, 6:20 PM
I’m the same way when it come to my machines. I admit some of my reasons are superstitious.
My most coveted machine surface is my jointer.
Right now on my tablesaw I have three tool rolls of carving chisels open. They deserve the right to be there very precious to me.
Good Luck

Günter VögelBerg
08-20-2019, 6:37 PM
Is that a printer?

Not sure what kind of jointer you have, but for me getting a 12 inch wide jointer really improved my storage space.

Robert Hayward
08-20-2019, 7:05 PM
My most coveted machine surface is my jointer.
Good Luck
Sounds like me. My jointer is in my little barn out back due to space limitations in the garage shop. Every horizontal surface in the barn is full... except my 10" Oliver jointer.

Ted Calver
08-20-2019, 7:16 PM
My rule is NOTHING....EVER..... is set on the table saw.

Henceforth, this shall be known as "Lisa's rule"!! However, if I was Lisa's dear hubby I would make double sure that small objects of undetermined origin and dubious character would occasionally and mysteriously appear on the table saw. Just often enough to make her suspect that shop gnomes really exist.:D:D

Mel Fulks
08-20-2019, 7:59 PM
Ted, you have just coined "gnome-men-clutter"

Frederick Skelly
08-20-2019, 8:08 PM
Time to clean the shop Mark!

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2019, 8:17 AM

Good rule Lisa, although due to having a very small shop, sometimes I break it. I never however use it for storage or leave stuff on it when it's in use.

Here's a shot of my $10K finishing bench:D.................Regards, Rod.

Thomas McCurnin
08-21-2019, 10:07 AM
I view the bandsaw as the safest saw in the shop.

Will Blick
08-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Glad this is not just me!
NEVER enough flat surfaces in a work shop...
I too try like hell to NOT put things on my TS, but, when all other surfaces are full, well....
My goal is to do tasks, incrementally... task, clean up, next task, clean up, etc.
too many open tasks, stuff all over the place!!

Brian Deakin
08-25-2019, 6:27 AM
For when you need to make a simple straight cut and your tablesaw is indisposed!

It is pleasing to see you tidied up before taking the photograph

I have cut a piece of scrap carpet exactly the same shape and size of my table saw top I place this on the top when not in use

It then serves as a surface for my woodturning tools or a temporary bench

Carl Beckett
08-25-2019, 6:56 AM
I have had pretty small shops for some time now. The last one so small that my table saw was almost always used for partial assemblies and finishing. It is a nice flat surface for assembly. For finishing it gets draped with a piece of plastic first.

Having said that I do use it a lot, so simply piling clutter on top of it doesnt last long before it needs put away so I can use it.

Now I have two workbenches. One I use, and one I pile with clutter (and use a very small area of...)

Alex Zeller
08-25-2019, 6:16 PM
I never say never to the wife, that's just asking her to test the rule. Lucky she doesn't go in the shop so I have only myself to blame. While I'm pretty good about it there are times when my work bench isn't as flat of a surface as I would like. A table saw is like a pool table. It's flat surface is so tempting, lol.