PDA

View Full Version : Spar Varnish

Jerry Bruette
08-19-2019, 6:10 PM
Does Spar Varnish ever dry as hard as regular poly or will it always be a little rubbery?
I've never worked with Spar and am a little surprised at how rubbery it is.

Oops just realized this post is in the wrong forum. Mods can you move it to the finishing forum?

Jamie Buxton
08-19-2019, 8:10 PM
Spar varnish is formulated to be softer and more flexible than "normal" varnish. The idea is that it goes on wooden parts like masts on boats. In service, the parts may bend, which might crack a more-rigid finish.
The wood is also exposed to wide humidity swings, and wide temperature swings, and those cause wood expansion and contraction. So again, a flexible varnish may last longer than a rigid one.

Scott Holmes
08-20-2019, 6:14 PM
What is your project? Interior use an interior finish; exterior use a spar/marine outdoor finish.

Jerry Bruette
08-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Hi Scott

Long time no see. It was just a general question. I had replacement windows installed and spar varnish was recommended because of the UV inhibitors. I had never used spar before and noticed it was softer and more elastic.

Edward Dyas
08-22-2019, 7:51 PM
Spar varnish doesn't get as hard as polyurethane but if yours is a little rubbery something is wrong. To the touch it would feel as hard as any finish. If too many coats were applied too fast it could make it feel soft until it hardens through. If that is the case it may crack. The product could be defective. What brand is it?

Jerry Bruette
08-23-2019, 10:48 PM
Varathane brand.

Randy Goodhew
08-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Varathane brand.

Varathane Spar Urethane is not spar varnish.

Edward Dyas
09-15-2019, 5:02 PM
Varathane Spar Urethane is not spar varnish.I've never seen it before. A spar urethane can be used the same as a spar varnish. I know the Helmsman spar urethane is junk but I wonder if the Varathane is a good finish or not.

Clark Hussey
09-16-2019, 7:29 AM
I've never seen it before. A spar urethane can be used the same as a spar varnish. I know the Helmsman spar urethane is junk but I wonder if the Varathane is a good finish or not.

If you think Helmsman is junk. Don’t ever buy the Varathane.

Mark Gibney
09-19-2019, 6:20 PM
Clark, what brand of poly and spar varnishes do you like?

thanks.

Clark Hussey
09-19-2019, 6:50 PM
Clark, what brand of poly and spar varnishes do you like?

thanks.
Mark, I use the Helmsman. Really haven’t had any issues with it.