PDA

View Full Version : How much time spent in the shop

Dueane Hicks
08-19-2019, 1:00 PM
I spend an average of 15 hours a week in the shop, I wish it were more but there's these pesky humans that keep taking time! How about everyone else?

Darcy Warner
08-19-2019, 1:03 PM
About 60 hours, sometimes up to 70+

Jim Becker
08-19-2019, 1:04 PM
I used to spend 0 to about 12 hours in the shop per week...and then I retired from full time work, bought a CNC machine to add to my arsenal, and made it a part time (but fully legally setup) business and am out there more like 20-30 hours per week.

Keep in mind that of the very large group of folks who participate here, things range from "very occasional" woodworking all the way to beyond full time mid-sized businesses.

Bill Carey
08-19-2019, 1:08 PM
30 to 35 hours a week. Unfortunately I still work full time. I retired and then got the proverbial offer you can't refuse to work from home. Sometimes I cheat and take the laptop downstairs to the shop and multitask.

Chuck Nickerson
08-19-2019, 1:09 PM
15 - 20 hours as a hobbyist.

Jim Becker
08-19-2019, 1:14 PM
I retired and then got the proverbial offer you can't refuse to work from home. Sometimes I cheat and take the laptop downstairs to the shop and multitask.

hah! I did virtual office for 21 years with my employer prior to retirement a year and a half ago and yes, "multitasking" was very much in play many times. Not so much with the shop, but managing the family. It was a reasonable trade off for being available for a lot more hours than would often be the case for working in a formal office and I was successful enough to retire at 60.

Bill Carey
08-19-2019, 2:33 PM
I was going to retire at 60 as well, but that was in 2008 - and I started over. But the single best thing I ever did to increase time in the shop was to quit watching any TV. Nothing. (except of course for Blackhawks games - I mean, there's giving up TV, and then there's complete foolishness)

Mark Hockenberg
08-19-2019, 2:40 PM
Lately about 16 hours/week. I still work full time M-F.

I have two projects in the works in the shop - New mahogany bookcase for my wife & a purpleheart wine rack I'm helping a newbie build.

I'm really enjoying teaching the newbie about woodworking - He's 27 years old and has never done woodworking and he loves every bit of it.

Darcy Warner
08-19-2019, 4:57 PM
Just got back to start my 2nd shift at the shop. Might get a full 16 in today.

Albert Lee
08-19-2019, 5:30 PM
When wife and kids away, 2-4 hours on a week day, 12 hours on Saturday, maybe 10 on Sunday
when wife and kids are around, 0.5 hours a day. 4 on Saturday, 1 on Sunday

I have full time work that is not related to my workshop.

Von Bickley
08-19-2019, 7:54 PM
Depends on the weather and how I am feeling.

Mark Rainey
08-19-2019, 8:19 PM
16 hours a week as hobby. At 60 I Work full time but trying to go part time so I can get a few more hours in shop,

Larry Frank
08-19-2019, 8:26 PM
Hopefully, two hours a day. It depends on how bad my back is that day. I took up the scrollsaw so I had time in the shop sitting.

Pete Staehling
08-20-2019, 8:42 AM
I'm retired, so as much as I feel like. It varies pretty widely, but always at least several hours per day and sometimes long hours.

Rob Luter
08-20-2019, 8:46 AM
I have a fairly demanding full time job. Good weather = 1 to 4 hours a week. Winter weather = 6 to 8 hours per week.

Paul F Franklin
08-20-2019, 9:12 AM
When I'm actively working on a project (which now is most of the time), either for myself or for a client or family/friends, I probably average 6-8 hours; otherwise maybe 1 or 2. My wife is still working full time, so I do most of the errands, chores, cooking, etc., in addition to most of the yard work. I teach a class at a local university during the spring semester; TIS drops way down then.

Michael Koons
08-20-2019, 12:02 PM
I hope to get to the point of some of the other folks here. I am in the process of winding down in my current job and not sure if I'll end up going back to a full time job or not.

When I was working, I traveled 40 - 45 weeks per year, so shop time was limited. I'd get in for a few hours on the weekends but it would take me FOREVER to finish projects. But it was still a nice release from work.

Starting after Labor Day (first week of Sept for those outside the US), I will probably spend about 20 hours a week in the shop. It will be my primary activity as I stop working but there will be other things going on as well. I have to say, the opportunity to spend more time in the shop was the second biggest consideration, spending time at home with the wife being the first. I'm really looking forward to it.

Rod Sheridan
08-20-2019, 12:18 PM
This week I'm working from home, here's a photo of my home office.

No shop time for me this week though, note the crutch in the photo:)

Robert Chapman
08-20-2019, 12:30 PM
From November through April - that is Winter here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - about 20 hours per week. From May through October - that is summer up here- very little time in shop except for repair work - instead I am on the road in the Corvette as weather permits.

Derek Cohen
08-20-2019, 12:42 PM
My day job is a full time private practice that runs around 60 hours over 4 1/2 days each week. I only get into the shop on weekends and a Monday afternoon, and generally average about 15-20 hours each week.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John TenEyck
08-20-2019, 2:33 PM
I've been retired for 10 years and average 30 - 40 hours per week in woodworking related activities. In the Winter it's all in my shop. The rest of the year it could be in my shop or it could be milling lumber. Last year I built a nice size shed to store lumber in which took 6 - 8 weeks. This year I'm building a solar kiln, just finished it actually. Back when I worked full time I usually managed to get around 20 hours/week in the shop.

John

Ben Rivel
08-20-2019, 4:45 PM
Probably only 0-5 depending on weather and how busy I am with life and work. Not nearly as much time as I would like, but I also have a lot of other hobbies as well.

Paul F Mills
08-20-2019, 9:57 PM
Full time job, so anywhere from 4 to 12 hours depending on what else I have going around the house and what project I am working on.

johnny means
08-20-2019, 10:58 PM
Guess I'm living the dream. I push wood for a living, so 40-60 hours a week is standard. Not as easy as it used to be, but I still love doing it.

Jeff Bartley
08-21-2019, 6:48 AM
This week I'm working from home, here's a photo of my home office.

No shop time for me this week though, note the crutch in the photo:)

Crutch! Oh no, what happened Rod?

To answer the question: I'm a full-time carpenter/woodworker so shoptime depends on the job. I probably spend about half my working time in the shop, half onsite. When I'm building something for our house then the shop time goes into the evenings and weekends.

Philip Hine
08-21-2019, 7:23 AM
Between 15-20 hrs a week. I just started a venture supplying cremation boxes to several funeral homes. Looking toward something to do when I retire in a couple years. I also build mountain dulcimers. It will be nice when I don't need to go to a formal job and can spend what time I like in the shop.

Rod Sheridan
08-23-2019, 7:26 AM
Crutch! Oh no, what happened Rod?

To answer the question: I'm a full-time carpenter/woodworker so shoptime depends on the job. I probably spend about half my working time in the shop, half onsite. When I'm building something for our house then the shop time goes into the evenings and weekends.

Hi Jeff, well I was walking through the park when I saw this small dog being attacked by a grizzly bear so I dove in to help. It was an epic fight, you should see what the bear looks like now.........Er, would you believe I tripped over a dog toy in the living room?

I folded my toes under and heard this loud crunch, then couldn't put any weight on my foot. Off to Emerg, X rays indicated no breaks, really sprained, off work for a week during a project at an out of town earth station........Figures.

Hope all is well with you............Regards, Rod.