PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Complete!

Bill Roland
12-14-2005, 2:35 PM
After 3 years I finally finished our kitchen. The glass front cabinets and the granite on the island were recently completed.

Chris Mann
12-14-2005, 2:41 PM
Nice work. I like the varying heights of the upper cabinets with the glass display cabs above. Neat touch.
And the white hutch with the tv is a nice break from all the same natural wood cabs.

Phil Phelps
12-14-2005, 2:50 PM
I just finished my 1950's kitchen after eighteen months, and I know how you feel. Coupla' questions and comments. I like your accent glass doors above the main cabinet doors. I'm not much for all glass, but I like the break-up. Is that a counter-top burner in the island? I see you used a granite backsplash. Everywhere I look, the "decorator" goes without the backsplash and uses another tile or texture instead. I, too, went with the four inch granite backsplash. Great minds.....well. And, I also used white appliances. I'll post my reason when I post my kitchen later, but would like your reasons. Thanks for the post on a job well done.

john whittaker
12-14-2005, 2:51 PM
Very nice work. Cabinets, floor, granite counter top & walls all go together nicely. The finish work looks superb. You should be proud of this fine kitchen. Now go cook something.:p

Bill Roland
12-14-2005, 3:19 PM
I just finished my 1950's kitchen after eighteen months, and I know how you feel. Coupla' questions and comments. I like your accent glass doors above the main cabinet doors. I'm not much for all glass, but I like the break-up. Is that a counter-top burner in the island? I see you used a granite backsplash. Everywhere I look, the "decorator" goes without the backsplash and uses another tile or texture instead. I, too, went with the four inch granite backsplash. Great minds.....well. And, I also used white appliances. I'll post my reason when I post my kitchen later, but would like your reasons. Thanks for the post on a job well done.

The Island Has A JenAire Downdraft Glass top stove and the granite backsplash came with the counter top installation. LOML is still undecided if it stays.

Anthony Anderson
12-14-2005, 3:31 PM
Bill, WOW! Very nice work. The wife must be thrilled. I also like the TV hutch. Adds a nice touch. Congratulations. Bill

Shelley Bolster
12-14-2005, 3:32 PM
Fantastic Job Bill. Your wife must be thrilled to have such a beautiful workspace. I take it you made it all, cabinet doors included? I also am fond of the use of different materials/finishes to break up the monotony of all wood cabs. Using a varity, if done tastefully like yours, really bring out the beauty of the surrounding wood. Thanks for posting the pics. :)

Dennis McDonaugh
12-14-2005, 3:43 PM
Nice work Bill. I see you are on "woodworker" time too:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2005, 3:43 PM
Fantastic looking kitchen Bill! I hope my wife doesn't see that........

John S Richards
12-14-2005, 3:49 PM
What did you do for the staining? I like the whitewashed or pickle look. I've always wondered what the best way to creat that look is. You'res looks a lot like a look I need to creat on a project I have starting in April.

Thanks,

John

Larry Fox
12-14-2005, 4:17 PM
Bill, very nice work. I too am working on a kitchen and you have set the bar pretty high. I agree with other poster, I hope my wife does not see these. More and bigger pictures . . . . please. :)

L

Vaughn McMillan
12-14-2005, 5:27 PM
Nice job. Bill. I like the combination of materials, and it looks like a very nice kitchen to work in.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 5:39 PM
Very nice job, Bill. I remember the day I "finished" ours and it really felt good to look at things and know that not only did the house get an upgrade, but that I did the work personally. I hope you feel the same way...your work looks great!

Bruce Page
12-14-2005, 5:49 PM
WOW, nice work! Can’t let the wife see this one, not that I could do anywhere as good as that...:(

Jay Knoll
12-14-2005, 6:02 PM
Super job! Been there, done that, didn't buy the t shirt. But you have lots of "honey do" points in the bank now that the job is done. Of course, because you did such a wonderful job, others are soon to follow.

Let's see is there a bathroom remodel on the project horizon.

Seriously, this is a major piece of very well designed and executed work. Enjoy the kudos.

Jay

Steve Clardy
12-14-2005, 6:22 PM
Very nice!!!!!

Michael Gabbay
12-14-2005, 7:50 PM
Nice work! Well worth the wait. I guess my 12 month bathroom remodel seems short! :)

Phil Phelps
12-14-2005, 7:52 PM
... what's the floor? Pre-finished, laminate, real wood?

Michael Adelong
12-14-2005, 8:04 PM
Excellent work, Bill. I'll bet you feel great when you walk in there. The LOYL probably thinks you are a genius... :D

I'm a newbie trying to learn enough to do my own kitchen. What was the biggest lesson that you learned during the project? You know the one thing that you figured out on that last cabinet, door, etc... The one that made you go, "Doh! If I knew this when I started, I would have been done much faster."? How about something that happened during the project that you wished hadn't happened or you wish you hadn't done? (I hope these questions aren't too personal)

Thanks,
Michael

Corey Hallagan
12-14-2005, 8:56 PM
Great looking kitchen all around. Beautiful job!

Corey

Lars Thomas
12-14-2005, 10:03 PM
You should be proud, they look great. Lars

Bill Roland
12-15-2005, 11:20 AM
The Floor is Pre-Finished Three Quarter Solid Oak, Which covers entire house(2300 sq. ft.) except the bathrooms. We, LOML & I, installed it when the house was being built.
The color on the cabinet is a custom color we came up with:
Benjamin Moore - Benwood Interior finish penetrating stain base pickling white
with the color "Smoked Hickory"
Lowe's - Valspar American Tradition Oil Base Semi-gloss enamel with color "Dark Leather"

Formula= 1 cup of "Smoked Hickory" and 8 Teaspoons of "Dark Leather"

Topped with 2 coats of brush on Laquer.