PDA

View Full Version : Turner's elbow?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2019, 7:47 PM
No, I don't have turner's elbow but I do have a turner's wrist now as the tail stock wasn't far enough away to get my elbow in while buffing a small project.

When you aren't using it, remove that live center folks!

Dennis Peacock
08-17-2019, 8:38 PM
Oh the lessons we learn the hard way!!!! Been there.....done that......didn't like it then and it's a sore reminder today.....
Thanks for the reminder Fitz!!

John Hart
08-18-2019, 7:27 AM
Well hey there Ken!!! Great to see you :)
That exact thing happened to me yesterday. I swore to remove my live center every time.....right after I threw it. :)

Richard Dooling
08-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Ouch! I've done this too.
I just had a thought that I should turn a piece to fit over the live center. Or maybe better, a tennis ball slit to fit. It should be able to fit several sizes of live center.

Reed Gray
08-18-2019, 1:06 PM
Long ago, I remember a thread about, bringing to mind Jeff Foxworthy, You know you are a woodturner..... If you have a hole in your elbow from the tailstock...... I only did that a couple of times. Having the tilt away on my Robust made that easy to remove...

robo hippy

Dick Mahany
08-18-2019, 1:32 PM
I feel your pain. Ten years ago after learning this lesson all too often, I kludged this up out of desperation...............

Its ugly, but cured my bad habits.:o

Steve Eure
08-18-2019, 3:26 PM
Just as bad is having your forearm slide or bump across a freshly sharpened skew. Not too fun either. Leaves as nice blood trail for the dog to follow.

John Hart
08-18-2019, 3:43 PM
Long ago, I remember a thread about, bringing to mind Jeff Foxworthy, You know you are a woodturner..... If you have a hole in your elbow from the tailstock...... I only did that a couple of times. Having the tilt away on my Robust made that easy to remove...

robo hippy

I remember that thread. Good times :)

allen thunem
08-19-2019, 4:12 PM
basically turners elbow, shoulder, wrist, and hand are the reason i got out of turning
couldnt deal with not sleeping due to the burning pains down my right side

Guy Donham
08-20-2019, 1:58 AM
I bought a Jet 10-15 Mini Lathe a couple of years ago. I rebuilt it and could not find an extension for it. I finally got an Excelsior from Rockler and it worked but I had to drill new holes. The reason I wanted the extension was not to turn long spindles but to get the tail stock out of the way when I was turning on the end of something. I have a Nova 16-44 and I bought the extension with the hinge for that very same reason. I move the tail stock on to the extension and can then use the hinge to move it even farther back and point in the opposite direction. I could use the extension for longer spindles but I am just happy to get the tail stock further away. Ouch! Son of a Gun, I did it again.

Thomas Canfield
08-20-2019, 7:30 PM
I turned a wood elbow saver piece to fit over the end of my Oneway live center on my Powermatic 3520B. I usually have the live center extended about 3" to give clearance for banjo. The elbow saver is also useful to use as a non penetrating point to apply pressure to a piece and not have the point hole. I put a yellow tape band around the elbow saver to help find it if it gets knocked off into pile of shavings.

Prashun Patel
08-21-2019, 9:10 AM
Swing away tail stock rocks.