PDA

View Full Version : You May Or May Not Have An Interest-itty Bitty Related

Bill Stevener
12-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi Gang,
I found these on sale over at ACE, $2.99. Haven't presented them to the mini grinder yet, but I think they will make just dandy little HF turning tools for micro itty bitties. If not, they may just become large tacks to hold shop notes on the wall.

Just thought you may be interested,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Barbara Gill
12-14-2005, 2:18 PM
What are they?

John Hart
12-14-2005, 3:00 PM
They look like little picks Barbara. If you grind them to your custom delight, they would make pretty nice micro tools. This is making me think that I must go to Ace hardware and buy something.;) :rolleyes: Sheesh...I sure know how to get in trouble!

Carole Valentine
12-14-2005, 3:53 PM
I saw those things at Ace! I almost got them at that price but I figured the stell might crumble when it so much as heard the switch being thrown on the grinder!:D Let us know how they work.

Ron Ainge
12-14-2005, 4:12 PM
those may also be ground to make some tools to cut small rings on finials. I have been looking for something like that to add rings to my Christmas tree bulbs.

thanks for the lead.

Bill Stevener
12-14-2005, 7:18 PM
Haven't played with the picks yet, just turned on the magic window hear.

I gust got done with din din, and picked up the new Jet mini vs. today. Ya know, no time for anything else.

First report, well its in a nice worm place. Runs great, finishing up a sm bowl. I have been dealing with a local supplier for a good number of years now, a great buy, and he threw in a Nova Midi chuck free.. Not that I needed another chuck, but I just couldn't give it back to him.:D Really looked this chuck over and must post some info on the other thread chatting about the same. So far from what I see, this thing is really great, for a small chuck, well no probs. so far.

Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 7:27 PM
Something to be careful with this kind of tool set is that the metal may not hold an edge well and may get "really soft" from the heat of grinding. This is where allen wrenches have an edge [sic]...they grind well. HHS is preferably what you want. The small hollower that I have from Bob Rosand is made from square HHS stock (about 1/4" sized) with a tip of the same material braised on at about a 45 degree angle. The tip is ground very much like any hollowing tool tip and is kept keen by putting a diamond hone to the top of it to renew the edge without removing a lot of material. It's very easy to blow away a lot of metal at the grinder with small tools... ;) DAMHIKT!

Bill Stevener
12-14-2005, 7:57 PM
Totally agree with you 100% Jim. These little guys will be ever so gently shaped on a small wet grinder, and wet stone honing after that, (if they work out). My intention is to use them only for micro minis +or< 1". If the steel is of an aluminum type, o'well, they will become large note tacks for the shop wall. I just thought for $2.99, worth a try. I'll give it a go tomorrow, still playing with the new toy, in a warm part of the shop :D .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Becker
12-14-2005, 8:26 PM
For $2.99 or a buck-two-ninety-eight...good deal to try them out!!

Ernie Nyvall
12-14-2005, 9:31 PM
I've got some dental tools around here somewhere that I was thinking of trying out. So... where did you guys put'em.:D

Ernie

ROBERT SCHUMAN
12-14-2005, 9:39 PM
I think I have had slivers bigger then those....:)

Gary DeWitt
12-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Jim,
I have been making tools lately, the latest from a 9mm hex wrench. The steel seems good and hard, can't be cut with a hacksaw. I'll have time to try it out later today or tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.
One question: you mention HHS twice in your post. What is it? Seems to possibly be some kind of stainless, which I understand is not good tool steel. Can you enlighten me?

Bill Stevener
12-15-2005, 8:32 PM
Hi Gang,

Just a little up date on the Ace picks. I dressed them up today and honed them to a sharp edge. The straight one is ground to a diamond point tool. The other three are round nose, well for the most part. The steal works just like a carbon steal, yet with a some what higher temper than just mild. I used the tools some today and they work just great, I can access a 1/8" hole. They are worth the $2.99 and should last a long time, as the use is only intended for micro minnies. If one takes the time to shape them, they will work real well.

Photo of re-worked picks and a photo of an HF using the tools.
HF= 15/16" T X 7/16" W 1/12 scale.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
12-15-2005, 8:59 PM
I went to get some today and they were GONE!!! Darnit!