PDA

View Full Version : Jorgensen clamps at Lowes

Edwin Santos
08-14-2019, 5:17 PM
Hi,
I don't quite know what the story is with the orange Jorgensen bar clamps. At one point I heard the century old company went out of business. Then I heard a Chinese company bought them and planned to resurrect the line.
Today I saw a six pack of 6" 3700 series bar clamps at Lowes. They're in spiffy new packaging, so maybe these are the resurrected ones, but on the other hand they are marked down for clearance at $21 for six so I'm not sure what to think.

Seemed like a good deal. I really wanted to proclaim them to be a cheap Chinese imitation of the good old original, but IMO they seem no less robust than the old ones, and in fact maybe a little better because of the rubber grip vs the smooth wood one. If you're in the market for 6" clamps, these are a very good price.
Edwin

johnny means
08-14-2019, 6:44 PM
on my way to Lowes.

Matt Day
08-14-2019, 7:26 PM
They’re marked down from $29.98 to $21.98, so not a blow out clearance.

They appear to be the traditional Jorgy but with a rubber grip.

Edwin Santos
08-14-2019, 8:03 PM
They’re marked down from $29.98 to $21.98, so not a blow out clearance.

Well I never saw the traditional 6" Jorgys for $3.66 each new. I recall them being closer to $10 each. These are much higher quality than HF bar clamps. I'd love to see a deal on the 12" versions.

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2019, 8:23 PM
Lowes now stocks Jorgy's instead of the Irwins. Here a six pack is still $29.99, and yes they are made in China.

Doug Garson
08-14-2019, 8:56 PM
Except in the great white north where they just stock Irwins.

Bernie Kopfer
08-14-2019, 11:09 PM
I’m taking a chance at being out of line,but Lowes just shafted hundreds if not thousands of employees. And at the same time is buying back millions in stock. Money that they should (IMO) have been used as severance pay. So they lost me as a customer. No I’m not advocating a boycott but when corporations obviously appear to appease their bottom line over human employees I try to avoid giving them my business. I want to help make America great by it being known as the country that treats its workers well.

Edwin Santos
08-14-2019, 11:45 PM
I’m taking a chance at being out of line,but Lowes just shafted hundreds if not thousands of employees. And at the same time is buying back millions in stock. Money that they should (IMO) have been used as severance pay. So they lost me as a customer. No I’m not advocating a boycott but when corporations obviously appear to appease their bottom line over human employees I try to avoid giving them my business. I want to help make America great by it being known as the country that treats its workers well.

I didn't know any of this.

I just thought it was a good deal on clamps and wanted to pass it along for anyone else that might be interested.

Rick Potter
08-15-2019, 2:27 AM
What did they do?

Stephen Rosenthal
08-15-2019, 2:53 AM
What did they do?

They embarked on a major expansion, adding stores within a few miles of each other apparently in an attempt to compete with Home Depot. They bought Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) a few years ago and then recently closed them all. The major expansion apparently has failed, as many Lowe's stores (some less than 10 years old) have been liquidated. Seems like a bad business model, but as Bernie noted, the ones that have been screwed are the former employees.

David Buchhauser
08-15-2019, 6:27 AM
I suspect that this is only a local thing - to your area. We have several Lowes here in Tucson and I have not heard any negative rumors. Although, when I visited my favorite Lowes about a month ago - I learned that Lowes corporate had been investigating some of the employees at that particular store for theft and other dishonest things. I was told by one of the employees who was not subject to this investigation that the Lowes corporate officials called each employee into a room to ask them some questions. Apparently about 10-12 employees were fired.

Apparently some violations like giving unauthorized discounts, comping sodas to other employees, etc. I did not hear about any blatant stealing. Some of my favorite employees who I have been dealing with for several years are no longer working at that store. One of the current employees told me that some of them got hired over at Home Depot.

I will say that in my particular case, I like going to Lowes over Home Depot because:

1. Less crowded
2. Much better air conditioning (I live in Tucson, Arizona where it is over 100 degress this time of year).
3. Better parking
4. Cleaner store

The only problem it that Lowes doesn't carry Milwaukee. But I also go to Home Depot for many other items.

David

David Buchhauser
08-15-2019, 6:38 AM
I actually have all of the Jorgensen bar clamps that I purchased at Home Depot over 30 year ago. Made in USA with the wood handles. I've got sets ranging from 6" to 48" in length. I probably have 4 or each. This is mostly a metal working shop, I realize that more is better for glue-ups and other wood working/cabinet making endeavors. I like the ones I have. Not sure if I would run out and buy more at this time. I would guess that most of the serious wood workers on this forum already have all the clamps that they need. Maybe I am wrong.
David

Mick Simon
08-15-2019, 7:16 AM
I picked up a pack of them a few weeks back here in Santa Fe. Marked down even further. I think I paid $15.99. Our Lowes was redoing the tool area to make room for a huge Craftsman display and I suspect they were blowing them out.
Nice clamps, though!

Jim Morgan
08-15-2019, 10:28 AM
I would guess that most of the serious wood workers on this forum already have all the clamps that they need.

Heresy! There is no such thing as too many clamps!

Kyle Iwamoto
08-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Heresy! There is no such thing as too many clamps!

I didn't think there were woodworkers that had enough clamps. I needed 2 more yesterday.........

scott vroom
08-15-2019, 12:40 PM
I purchased a dozen or so of the wooden handles Jorgies about 10 years ago....3 and 4 footers. I could never figure out how to keep them from camming out when tightened...I gave up and moved on to Pony pipe clamps and have never looked back. The mostly new bar clamps are stored away somewhere, I probably should sell them. Anyone else encounter the camming problem with these?

http://i1.adis.ws/i/stock/PONY3712?$viewer-main$

Ellery Becnel
08-17-2019, 1:49 PM
I went to Lowe's yesterday. I found them. I picked up a dozen. You can never have too many clamps, and routers. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!
Nice clamps, for the price! Thanks for the tip

Paul F Franklin
08-17-2019, 3:12 PM
Yes, thanks, I also picked up a dozen earlier this week.

George Bokros
08-17-2019, 6:03 PM
I grabbed my six. My Lowes has them @$8.98 ea if you buy two you almost paid what six are selling for.

Greg Parrish
08-19-2019, 7:37 AM
I grabbed my six. My Lowes has them @$8.98 ea if you buy two you almost paid what six are selling for.

Dang. That’s a really great price. I came across these yesterday and picked up 12 of them to supplement my small clamp needs. I had been only buying the German made Bessey’s and avoiding the made in china ones but figure for these smaller clamps these should work well. They seem to be pretty well made. Thanks for the tip.

Greg Parrish
08-19-2019, 7:41 AM
I purchased a dozen or so of the wooden handles Jorgies about 10 years ago....3 and 4 footers. I could never figure out how to keep them from camming out when tightened...I gave up and moved on to Pony pipe clamps and have never looked back. The mostly new bar clamps are stored away somewhere, I probably should sell them. Anyone else encounter the camming problem with these?

Wonder if it is because they don’t have the grooves cut into the bar? Looks like the bar is slick in the picture.

lowell holmes
08-19-2019, 11:54 AM
I go to both Home Depot and Lowes. Sometimes I find items at one store and not the other.
They are five minutes apart.
Some times I go to Michaels as well.

Gary Ragatz
08-19-2019, 4:10 PM
Edwin,

Thanks for the tip - I picked up a set this afternoon. I don't often shop at Lowe's - they're on the other side of town, and considerably less convenient to get to than HD.

Lowe's web site said they had 11 sets in stock, but I looked all over the tool department and couldn't find them. I finally asked someone, and he said they were probably in a special display "somewhere." He looked in the computer system - no info. I trailed him through the entire tool department again, and then up and down a few aisles of building materials before we stumbled onto them. The little display had the original price, and no indication they were on sale, but they rang up correctly at the register.

I'm spoiled by HD. When their web site says my local store has something in stock, I can have them text me the aisle and bin number, and I can walk straight to it when I go to the store.

Greg Parrish
08-19-2019, 4:13 PM
Found them in my store store on the end cap of the plumbing section. No where near tools. Go figure.

Edwin,

Thanks for the tip - I picked up a set this afternoon. I don't often shop at Lowe's - they're on the other side of town, and considerably less convenient to get to than HD.

Lowe's web site said they had 11 sets in stock, but I looked all over the tool department and couldn't find them. I finally asked someone, and he said they were probably in a special display "somewhere." He looked in the computer system - no info. I trailed him through the entire tool department again, and then up and down a few aisles of building materials before we stumbled onto them. The little display had the original price, and no indication they were on sale, but they rang up correctly at the register.

I'm spoiled by HD. When their web site says my local store has something in stock, I can have them text me the aisle and bin number, and I can walk straight to it when I go to the store.

Paul F Franklin
08-19-2019, 7:12 PM
When I shop for little stuff at lowes, I often do buy online-pick up at store. They pull the items and have it waiting at the pick-up desk. Takes an hour or two, but that's rarely an issue. Then no need to hunt for it at the store.

I do love the HD system of aisle and bin number; wish menards had that!