PDA

View Full Version : Am I a dummy or what?

Bob Glenn
08-13-2019, 3:11 PM
Forgive me if there is already a thread with this heading. Sometimes I wonder about the things I do. Yesterday, I was pinning the tenons on a bread board end. I carefully drilled the holes, not too deep as these were to be blind pins. I had clamped everything together before drilling to get a nice tight fit. To my amazement, when i unclamped the bread board end with the pins installed, it came right off!

You guessed it, I drilled on the wrong side of the joint. I felt so foolish. Easily corrected and it won't be noticeable since it is on the bottom.

Bill Carey
08-13-2019, 3:43 PM
You are not alone Bob - I was making a small thing with curved legs and wasn't paying attention to the stop on my mortise machine. Made the mortises, cut the curves and guess what? I had thru tenons.

Jim Koepke
08-13-2019, 4:38 PM
When my grandson was helping me this summer one of my "words of wisdom" given to him was that almost any mistake can be corrected, unless it is a mistake made with a woman.

jtk

glenn bradley
08-13-2019, 4:47 PM
I just always assumed the shop gods were using these events to teach me humility.

steven c newman
08-13-2019, 5:11 PM
Hmmmm, called a Brain Fart..
Not sure how it happened...:rolleyes:

Stew Denton
08-13-2019, 5:32 PM
I am definitely in the Dummy camp. A little over a week ago, I was helping build props for a play, and cutting out large plywood shapes to be painted. I had a 4 by 8 sheet on a pair of my saw horses and had 3 4X4s on them running lengthwise with the plywood to support it. One of the 4X4s was in the way of where I had to cut, and was using a friends jig saw. One of the 4X4s was in the way of the blade where I had to cut, and I reached under to move the 4X4, but hadn't let the saw completely stop.

You guessed it, I now have a very nice cut on the little finger of my left hand. I will probably have the finger nail come off, as I cut clear thru about half of it. Fortunately the cut was not very deep, just thru the side of the finger and up thru part of the nail. The Dr. looked at it and put me on antibiotics. I am sure I will recover completely, but it is going to take a while.

I have been doing carpentry and some woodworking on and off for more than 50 years. I have had plenty of time to learn and do know better....a good reminder to be more careful.....dummy of week award winner. Still, it is the worst cut I have ever had doing this, and I know carpenters who have had much worse.

Regards,

Stew

Jeff Wittrock
08-13-2019, 5:40 PM
Notice something odd about the pinned tenons on these doors? Those aren't loose tenons in there.
I made the mistake on one door, so just did it to the other to to try and "turn the frown upside down".

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?108353-Oak-Vanity

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=114135&d=1238178893

Flamone LaChaud
08-13-2019, 5:52 PM
That's an easy fix, don't you have board stretchers?

David Eisenhauer
08-13-2019, 9:29 PM
Nice design feature Jeff with the "twin dots" at the corners of the doors. A well planned feature.

Phil Mueller
08-13-2019, 11:41 PM
You’re never alone in that department. I keep this drawer piece around just to make me smile.

Andrew Seemann
08-14-2019, 12:12 AM
You’re never alone in that department. I keep this drawer piece around just to make me smile.

Most of things like that end up in the shop wood stove. Let's just say I don't get cold in the shop:)

Derek Cohen
08-14-2019, 12:43 AM
I've done this too, but deliberately when making Möbius dovetails. Well, that's the story I am sticking to :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
08-14-2019, 1:04 AM
Yup...
Went over to the scrap bin, pulled enough out to make 4 new shelves with....:rolleyes:

Doug Dawson
08-14-2019, 1:30 AM
Hmmmm, called a Brain Fart..
Not sure how it happened...:rolleyes:

In the high tech business we would call that an Easter Egg.

lowell holmes
08-14-2019, 10:13 AM
When my grandson was helping me this summer one of my "words of wisdom" given to him was that almost any mistake can be corrected, unless it is a mistake made with a woman.

jtk

After one, you don't make more.

Bill Carey
08-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Imagine the Hall brothers standing there, looking at the first cloud lift, and Peter says "Screw it, make the other one the same".
Bob's your uncle.