PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Tool for Carving Feet

Roger Domina
08-10-2019, 9:43 AM
Am looking for input regarding the best tool to purchase for carving feet on bowls. Any input based on your experience will be appreciated.

John K Jordan
08-10-2019, 6:53 PM
Am looking for input regarding the best tool to purchase for carving feet on bowls. Any input based on your experience will be appreciated.

Roger,

I don't know that carving feet on bowls is different than other types of carving. I use a variety of tools: a Fordom rotary carver, a reciprocal carver, hand-held carving gouges, various knives, and sometimes a scalpel with a #11 blade. Besides cutting tools I use small rifflers and files. Further smoothing is with sandpaper, with small sheets of sandpaper and hand-held sanding sticks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Lumberton-12302-Sanding-Sticks-Finishing/dp/B0039ZCQAK

I choose specific tools based on the type of wood, the shape I'm carving, the direction of the grain, and what I feel like at the moment. If I had no carving tools and a limited budget I'd probably buy a few carving gouges and a Dremel with a few carbide bits.

This is a bowl with "handles" and feet I made from Bradford Pear a while back:

JKJ

Roger Domina
08-10-2019, 6:56 PM
Very, very, nice work John. Thanks for the input and advice. I'm sure you're correct I'll want different tools based on the application.

Fred Belknap
08-18-2019, 6:04 PM
I use whatever works but a Dremel with a small roller type sander works very well.

Allen Arin
08-28-2019, 1:35 AM
I use whatever works but a Dremel with a small roller type sander works very well.

Yes I would prefer the same

tom lucas
08-29-2019, 12:53 PM
If you have to go out and buy a dremel, I suggest getting a micromotor instead. Must nicer bit changes and high speed carving, plus it fits the hand better too.