PDA

View Full Version : The Morning post and the Evening post

Stephen Tashiro
08-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Was it ever common to get two deliveries of mail per day? We had a Rural Free Delivery address when I was a kid and that was one delivery per day. Did city dwellers get more frequent service?

Bruce Page
08-08-2019, 11:11 PM
It’s always been once a day anyplace where I have lived.

From Google: Carriers walked as many as 22 miles a day, carrying up to 50 pounds of mail at a time. They were instructed to deliver letters frequently and promptly — generally twice a day to homes and up to four times a day to businesses. The second residential delivery was discontinued on April 17, 1950, in most cities.

Gary Ragatz
08-09-2019, 12:16 AM
The USPS says they used to do twice-a-day deliveries to residential customers, up until 1950:

https://about.usps.com/publications/pub100/pub100_018.htm

I assume that was only in cities.

Ole Anderson
08-09-2019, 12:43 AM
We sometimes get two deliveries per day, but only if the USPS is delivering a package for FedEx or UPS.

Bill Dufour
08-12-2019, 12:45 AM
I can just remember two mail deliveries so it ended around 1965 for me. I do not think it happened everyday?
In the Sherlock Holmes stories he got mail three times a day. But no phone service and the occasional telegram was delivered to the door. That was in central London so it probably had the best mail service in the world at the time.

lowell holmes
08-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Once a day here, but they come like clockwork between 10 am and noon.

Jim Koepke
08-14-2019, 4:30 PM
Once a day here, but they come like clockwork between 10 am and noon.

They have you spoiled. My address is on a rural route. The regular carrier for this route is described as a disability malingerer by some of the carriers who cover the route.

Sometimes our mail gets here by noon. Sometimes not until after 5:00pm.

One of the carriers seems to be blind to the flags on the side of the mail box if there isn't incoming mail when outgoing mail is left for pick up. If a package requires a signature, some of the carriers will not come to the house. We seldom go into town more than once or twice a week.

One of my most relaxing times is when there wasn't a need to go into town for about three weeks.

jtk

lowell holmes
08-15-2019, 9:18 AM
When you live in a suburb city with a medium size post office, there are advantages. The postman puts my mail in a postal box at the front door.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2019, 1:24 PM
When you live in a suburb city with a medium size post office, there are advantages. The postman puts my mail in a postal box at the front door.

In my situation some of the UPS drivers will walk down the driveway if there is snow on the ground. From where they park in the driveway it is about 0.1 mile round trip.

jtk